Sign in to follow this  
bananakid0

Why Seiko?

Theduke.williams

Not only are Seiko incredible value for money when you look at their quality, they also have a lume that is as good as anything on the market today.

Very often I go into the house, look at my watch, and am astounded at how brightly the hands are glowing, considering the light indoors is still bright.

I'm also impressed that even on these long dark nights, the hands can still be seen at 4am. The only other watch I own that can equall that is a Smith & Wesson Titanium dive watch, with tritium tubes, but the lume on that is pretty weak - the room needs to be very dark to read it.

P1010839_zps2f0c0653.jpg

HeavyKrush

+1 on this ^. Shines just as bright as my PO.

tonyh7

Feck me but this has given me a strong desire to buy another Seiko. Only point I would add is that for lume fans Seiko are the mutts nuts. Thermo feckin nuclear.

gravedigger

What about grandfather clock ?

tumblr_nz7n61PZD01ujzgodo1_540.gif

HeavyKrush

Let's not forget Orient...

1028dad043a6e2b4a55d774e5c987113.jpg

97a45039b188e8b03bf6c0e422ba9036.jpg

9667941f4fe3b62ffdd7f61b94368ff1.jpg

0f0c44b25cdb05a01b796ed6d38de87e.jpg

b4884f6a69159184d168f03ba159fc6c.jpg

960ce99668ffdf9ff352847b302da286.jpg

Edited by HeavyKrush

Mike on a bike

Seiko are the fucking guv'nor. End of. Buy one and you'll see what we mean. :D

"You heard the man" +1 , I saw the thread title and gasped!

If you are Conus start here w/ the quintessential Seiko IMHO: http://www.jomashop....h-skx009k2.html or here http://www.jomashop....h-skx007k2.html

(matter of personal preference)

Then you can get them like chips as the rest of us do.

This would be an absolute great start. There is a rumor that the SKX series may be on its way out. Get one now at a good price because once they become harder to get the value will be worth it even more.

Well I better pickup an extra or two!

WatchDog21

If you are Conus start here w/ the quintessential Seiko IMHO: http://www.jomashop....h-skx009k2.html or here http://www.jomashop....h-skx007k2.html

This would be an absolute great start. There is a rumor that the SKX series may be on its way out. Get one now at a good price because once they become harder to get the value will be worth it even more.

From what I have been reading it is looking like the SRP will be taking the SKX place

Mike on a bike

Two totally different looks I cry foul , if I wanted a monster I'd have one. (and I have a few!)

ethanbt

Seiko for something like this...

1c611543b11b806214f9429a748a901d.jpg

Really the key here is "automatic" vs "Quartz" with this forum being more "auto-oriented".

I really do like this Seiko. Would someone please tell me the model of this Seiko? I looked at Jomashop but did not see anything like this one. Thanks in advance.

Gazzla

Seiko for something like this...

1c611543b11b806214f9429a748a901d.jpg

Really the key here is "automatic" vs "Quartz" with this forum being more "auto-oriented".

I really do like this Seiko. Would someone please tell me the model of this Seiko? I looked at Jomashop but did not see anything like this one. Thanks in advance.

The magnificent Brightz SDGM003.

Mike on a bike

Another beauty , Seiko is hard to beat no matter what your taste or price point.

splke

there are some beautiful seikos that are way out of my reach I think gazzla has about 3 or 4 of them!

I have about 5 seikos left and I love them autos and quartz cracking watches for all pockets

Mike on a bike

There is a lot to be said as guys who spend all their free time talking watches (rep and gen) for the most part respect them greatly, Now there are a lot of young bucks looking for cache on the wrist who may not be enamored but the wise WIS knows the Seiko brand is to be respected.

booshmiguel

Well Grand Seiko's are actually very treasured pieces. Some experts even say the movement is far superior than a Rolex movement. I guess it's all par for the course.

GenTLe
Well Grand Seiko's are actually very treasured pieces. Some experts even say the movement is far superior than a Rolex movement. I guess it's all par for the course.

They are right. Rolex movements are nothing special. They are mass produced solid tool movements, but certainly far from the haute horologerie.

Gazzla

Mine says hi:

6ttIUzB.jpg

Robin195959

They are right. Rolex movements are nothing special. They are mass produced solid tool movements, but certainly far from the haute horologerie.

But unfair on Rolex that GenTLe. Most of their movement are chronometer std with two of the three labs doing the testing devoted almost entirely to testing Rolex movements. That said Seiko often achieves and surpasses that std.

Bash64

To summarize all the responses, Seiko gives you a high quality, mechanical, in-house movement that is extremely reliable and will take a lot of abuse. Other than the low beat movement, I see my Seiko Sumo as a very solid competitor with the Rolex DSSD at 5% of the cost. Amazing lume, accurate timekeeping, and a tool watch you can get wet without worrying you might destroy a $10,000 timepiece.

Seriously, every collection deserves the pleasure of a half iconic Seikos. Check out their industry leading vintage chronos from the 70's.