Sign in to follow this  
613Kid

Help! Just smashed glass on my watch!

613Kid

By way of total fluke accident that I don't think I could re-create even if I tried, tonight I slammed my Bell & Ross BR03-51 GMT against my car door in such a way that the glass shattered and fell out. I am devastated it was my first rep and even with my new DSSD the BR dominated my wrist time.

The watch came from Mary, does anyone know if I can order just the glass from her?

I am not a hobbyist and have no watch-smith skills, so even if I can get the glass I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to install it.

Any advice??

Thanks

Edited by 613Kid

SirDomino

So are the crystals in reps any more fragile than other gen watches?

markturnr

Check with Mary, but I'd love to know if anybody is aware of a good place in the US to get the glass/crystal replaced on a watch. I've got 3 Seiko alarm chronographs that would work great if not for chipped crystal. I'd love to get them brought back to life just for the nostalgic value.

graman
By way of total fluke accident that I don't think I could re-create even if I tried, tonight I slammed my Bell & Ross BR03-51 GMT against my car door in such a way that the glass shattered and fell out. I am devastated it was my first rep and even with my new DSSD the BR dominated my wrist time.

The watch came from Mary, does anyone know if I can order just the glass from her?

I am not a hobbyist and have no watch-smith skills, so even if I can get the glass I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to install it.

Any advice??

Thanks

If you got it from Mary, you might be lucky...she may be able to source something from the factory, because of the high number of transactions she makes...suggest emailing her and asking VERY nicely...perhaps a bit of grovelling or the like would also help :lol:

graman
Check with Mary, but I'd love to know if anybody is aware of a good place in the US to get the glass/crystal replaced on a watch. I've got 3 Seiko alarm chronographs that would work great if not for chipped crystal. I'd love to get them brought back to life just for the nostalgic value.

It's not hard to do yourself - email or pm Offshore - he can get you the parts.

Then source some UV glue, and some acetone, and a toothpick.

I did one for my father in law in an hour. :lol:

There's a thread here on it somewhere...

10:10 Watch Repair

If you want to DIY, the hardest part will be determining the size.

prestigewatchco
So are the crystals in reps any more fragile than other gen watches?

Yes most rep crystals are tested to withstand impact with a 12.75 oz ice pick and the standard for gen is a 13oz ice pick both will break with either but gen factories use the heavier one to justify the difference in price

rkane

I've had two Shenzhen cheapies, on both the glass felt very very thin. It also didn't sit flush with the bezel (I think the gens are flush??) broke both of mine within a few weeks of each other, one by catching the protruding crystal edge on a wooden door and another I clipped on the petrol tank of my motorbike. All in all, very unlucky. I'm looking to buy another Br03-92 but i'm not gonna settle for another cheapie.

JohnG

just contact Mary...

Also, Cousin's UK - but you will need to know the size. A watchmaker should be able to order the crystal and install it.

Make sure to get the 13 oz icepick standard crystal, not the cheaper 12.5oz one.

pollux1
just contact Mary...

Also, Cousin's UK - but you will need to know the size. A watchmaker should be able to order the crystal and install it.

Make sure to get the 13 oz icepick standard crystal, not the cheaper 12.5oz one.

Tssssk John, the 12.5 oz isn't so bad. 12.75oz is where it's at for reps though. The cost of 13oz is too prohibitive.

offshore

Shoot me the model/case numbers of those 3 chronos, I may just have crystals, or be able to hook you up.

O/S

Member X

Just for complete clarity for 'noobs', the ice pick comments are taking the mickey :D lol

It could be worth speaking to 'SMIDSY' on RWI - he can source gen parts, I think...

chum_2000_uk
Just for complete clarity for 'noobs', the ice pick comments are taking the mickey :D lol

It could be worth speaking to 'SMIDSY' on RWI - he can source gen parts, I think...

:D *quietly puts 12.75 oz icepick back in draw*

Aren

If I was going to ice pic my wrist,

I don't think the watch would act as a shield anyway. :D

613Kid

Thanks everybody for their advice. I will message Mary after CNY to see if she can send me just the glass, from there I may come back on and seek advice on installing it.

Cheers