Sign in to follow this  
Steve36

Seiko marinemaster 300..... Is it worth it??

Steve36

Fellas, currently at a crossroads with my gens and find myself drawn to a new seiko mm300, problem is there well over a grand in price, and before I bite the bullet I always hesitate thinking about other watches I could get with the same money,namely Swiss. Decided to read up on the mm300 to see if there worth the money etc, general opinions of owners from forums all say that they are way up there in quality and finish with some of their Swiss counterparts, but I've also found a few threads saying they have issues with the crown threading due to a stem problems?... Does anyone own one who could give me a bit feedback please? Rather than buying one and regretting...Or.... What would you consider as an alternative if I were to go Swiss again?

Thanks in advance and happy xmas you bastards

Edited by Steve36

Steve36

Not that one mate, it's the monobloc sbdx001.... Sorry I should have said

Frazzle

Seiko SBDB005 Land Master Spring Drive is the one you want!

092393E2-61DC-48B3-AEBD-D27D8E67E31B.jpg

Steve36

Wow first time I've seen that model mate , looks good. Is it a bullhead?

Khronos

Jeeez Frazzle...you just had to do that, eh..? This right here is one of the best looking watches I've ever seen!!

Steve36

I like the white on black, reminds me of a sinn or seiko spork. Although my nipper reckons it looks like Thomas the tank engine from the front.

Khronos

Just checked the price. No more worries,moving on.. :(

MoveAlong

If it has Spring Drive in the name, I don't even need to look. $$$!!

Daywatch

Worth it? Certainly Yes, I´d say every Seiko technically matches any Swiss with double it´s price. Now does it look like it? Most ppl will assume a Seiko, well, is "just" a Seiko with a hardlex glass.

I´d probably look into the cheaper but similar SBDC001 Sumo or go with a Tudor Blackbay instead.

Gazzla

$4,500 for the Landmaster:

Let me see:

amUKfBT.gif

James.

Absolutely zero mechanical or engineering issues here. Quite like mine which i bought as a beater but it's so lovely and shiny its worn maybe once a fortnight, much less than it should. This is primarily because 1) polished areas i dont want to scratch (incl the bracelet) 2) the xtal isnt sapphire and i read much more susceptible to scratching though mine is blemish free 3) i always planned on flipping it and still do.

It's a watch i personally think everyone should own at some point if not for any other reason than to compare the best of Japan against the much more expensive Swiss.

IMG_20151217_063559_zps8wkzkq6v.jpg

HeavyKrush
Absolutely zero mechanical or engineering issues here. Quite like mine which i bought as a beater but it's so lovely and shiny its worn maybe once a fortnight, much less than it should. This is primarily because 1) polished areas i dont want to scratch (incl the bracelet) 2) the xtal isnt sapphire and i read much more susceptible to scratching though mine is blemish free 3) i always planned on flipping it and still do.

It's a watch i personally think everyone should own at some point if not for any other reason than to compare the best of Japan against the much more expensive Swiss.

IMG_20151217_063559_zps8wkzkq6v.jpg

Oh my, that is a beaut mate.

ShovelnTC

Worth it? Certainly Yes, I´d say every Seiko technically matches any Swiss with double it´s price. Now does it look like it? Most ppl will assume a Seiko, well, is "just" a Seiko with a hardlex glass.

I´d probably look into the cheaper but similar SBDC001 Sumo or go with a Tudor Blackbay instead.

I Love all that is Seiko but this would be my advise.

Steve36

It's a tough call fellas, the mm300 is nye on a 45mm watch - but the Tudor as sexy as it is, is only a 40 I think also it's a lot thinner and smaller on the wrist.... If I had to choose right now between the two is close my eyes and just point to one, to be fair id like both.

Maybe next Christmas I could put both on my list for Santa, but I'd have to sacrifice the Fanny magnate and the Fischer price knocking shop :(

Smpfan

MM300 is worth every penny! I love mine. Wouldn't trade this for a BB. Never ever.

68122f591de28428f8dc21255ea918c9.jpg3a0d159f5ce905f6da4358d2f20f74f5.jpg

Cheers

Andi

Mazz

Yes

I have spoken that is all there will be no more discussion.

If James and I both have one. It's gospel

Omega2541

I've had a few of these,all used and bought over on TZ.Great watch and quality is very good.Some go on about the bracelet having niggly issues,I never found that to be the case.

Buy one...

profsteve

I have time MM300 but thought I needed a spring drive and now it is mostly what I wear. I have not had the time to put one of my Swiss sapphire double AR'd crystals in it yet and I am kind of anxious to open it up and look at the movement- just want to make sure that I don't screw anything up taking this one apart. Most of my other Seikos came apart for crystal change easier than most of my Swiss gens.

BUT- and this is a bit BUT- you can't go wrong with the MM300 EVER- it is a greeeat watch and I still have it and wear it as it wears smaller than this spring one, but watching the sweep second is mesmerizing to say the least.

mm600small_zpsoduwjbdk.jpg

rawbaws

Great tastes in watches Prof - mine says hello!

Don't see too many around.

20160510_190042_zps21wfisrx.jpg

boredpanda

Consider a Seiko PMMM? (Poor Man Marine Master)

Basically a mod to look like a marine master

I got mine with SKX171 as base, gen MM hands, thick domed sapphire crystal/bezel set and endmill bracelet from strapcode..

Def way under 1k total for all these, probably <500?

Many different options to mod it too ;)

I've seen a MM300 in the flesh and it is nice, people say it's top heavy though. IMO not worth spending the money on it (no doubt it is nice)

I rather save more and get a GS, or if you don't mind GS quartz that works too.

Edited by boredpanda

Odyseus

I'm intrigued :) P!ease give us some more details, especially as the MM300 will set you back a cool £1800 (creation watches) I assume the MM300 is Seiko SDBX001??

Consider a Seiko PMMM? (Poor Man Marine Master)

Basically a mod to look like a marine master

I got mine with SKX171 as base, gen MM hands, thick domed sapphire crystal/bezel set and endmill bracelet from strapcode..

Def way under 1k total for all these, probably <500?

Many different options to mod it too ;)

I've seen a MM300 in the flesh and it is nice, people say it's top heavy though. IMO not worth spending the money on it (no doubt it is nice)

I rather save more and get a GS, or if you don't mind GS quartz that works too.