Sign in to follow this  
P4GTR

No crown guard GMT coke. Progress pics

P4GTR

(Any updates/pics have been transposed into this initial post for ease of viewing. I will just update this initial post in the future.)

Recently got this inexpensive GMTII from Speedbird here on RWG. This particular version had the same case as the submariner, so the crown guard and crown were way off for a GMT. The bezel was free spinning, the insert had fallen out, it was a bit of a mess (which I knew going in, not speedbirds fault.). I wasn't sure what to do with it at first. I wound up removing the crown guards, aging the insert, I installed a new spring and pellet to fix the bezel, and here it is. I don't expect anyone's jaw to drop, I am not trying to replicate a 6542, just wanted to see where I could take it, and here are the results so far.

Case shaping. Removed stem & tube, plugged hole then spent lots of time grinding away with the dremel, sanding and polishing.

IMG_6046.jpg

IMG_6047.jpg

IMG_6048.jpg

IMG_6049.jpg

still not straight..

IMG_6050.jpg

more grinding

IMG_6051.jpg

better

IMG_6052.jpg

IMG_6055.jpg

tube back in

IMG_6059.jpg

IMG_6060.jpg

mock up, lets have a look..

IMG_6062.jpg

Bezel fixed, insert sanded down & faded using oven cleaner (which has lye in it). Spray a little on a rag and wipe the insert, watching carefully, it works rather quickly. Wear gloves, don't get oven cleaner on your skin. This is how she stands as of now.

IMG_6069.jpg

IMG_6070.jpg

IMG_6068.jpg

Update: Case aging I put the case and bracelet links in a tupperware along with a few lbs. of change, a few slices of some coarse sand paper, a couple of bolts, and shook it around for a while. Took quite a bit of abuse, and resulted in very little aging of the case! The bezel insert didn't even get scratched! :ttiwwop:. This is one brute of a case, i'm telling you! It looks like superficial/artificial scratching. Maybe it was the sandpaper slices. I'll buff it a little, then back to the hopper for more abuse. Rocks sound good for next time.

IMG_6094.jpg

IMG_6095.jpg

IMG_6096.jpg

Update: hand & hour marker patina

Patina added to hour markers and hands. Mixed a combo of flat white, yellow, interior tan, and thinner in unequal parts until I liked the color results on a test dial, then I moved onto the GMT. Here's the result.

It's 4:30 AM here.. Forgive the pictures, more to come soon.

IMG_6098.jpg

IMG_6099.jpg

IMG_6108.jpg

The following day...

Went over the dial again for imperfections. Shook the case/bracelet up again in the tupperware. Better pics. It's raining here in Tampa, so lighting is not optimum.

IMG_6110.jpg

IMG_6115.jpg

IMG_6116.jpg

IMG_6112.jpg

Edited by P4GTR

Slim

Very impressive. Terrific work on the case especially.

KBH

Very nice. Just like auto body repair but on a smaller scale. :lol:

P4GTR

Thanks guys.

chum_2000_uk

Really neat work! Bet that was satisfying when finished

jojo8989

wow, great result, great work.

turnipz

I just saw a pepsi watch in a movie called the switch, I like it a lot more than I thought I would.

Edited by turnipz

rychastings

wow I really like the casemods, it really transforms the whole watch

P4GTR

Updated original post, progress pics added.

Slim

Looks good. I like the yellowed markers / hands a lot. Is there a particular model / year you're going for, or just a generic vintage GMT look?

P4GTR
Looks good. I like the yellowed markers / hands a lot. Is there a particular model / year you're going for, or just a generic vintage GMT look?

I wish I could say the GMT 6542, but this is so far off, and utterly a fantasy in all ways. I'd like to find an inexpensive folded bracelet for it, then be done.

I liked this project, and learned what to and not to do in order to possibly start with something a little higher end next time.