Sign in to follow this  
Del

Time Tutelary Watch Winder

Del

I bought this Time Tutelary single watch winder last week (more out of curiosity than anything else) and it's actually pretty good :).

time-tutelary-automatic-watch-winder-black-14756600.jpeg

I bought it on eBay for around £30 delivered but here is the link to the Amazon page clicky.

The unit itself is made of plastic but looks well finished and is not particularly bulky. The removeable watch holder is also plastic but has a spring loaded section that enables it to take differing sizes of watch straps or bracelets. Once the watch has been attached to the holder, the holder simply presses back into position with a click. There is also a clear plastic hinged front cover - I was concerned that the clearance to the watch cystal with the front cover closed was a bit tight for chunkier watches so I tested this with a PAM233 and it cleared by about 2-3mm. However, the clear plastic front does not need to be closed for the winder to operate so could be left open, it is merely a cover to prevent dust getting in, although it did reduce the overall noise a little too. The winder is powered by mains electricity with no battery option.

The noise generated when running is actually very little, although I guess if it was on your bedside table then you would notice it when all is quiet in the dead of night. However, I have it in a room with my computer and it is easily drowned out by the fan in my desktop tower :).

It can operate in a clockwise or anti-clockwise direction, but you have to choose since it doesn't change automatically, then it runs in your chosen direction for 1 hour then rests for 3 hours, and so on. (There is one slider button that moves from off to clockwise, or off to anti-clockwise.)

To test it, I put in my GMTIIc asian clone 2836 (which was completely out of power) and switched it on to see if it would bring it to life. After 1 hour of winding, nothing :o. So I manually invoked another 1 hour of winding (without waiting for the 3-hour rest period :rolleyes:) and, hey presto, the watch started to run :D. The winder rotates quite slowly (much slower than I expected) so I was rather pleased that it was able to start-up the GMTIIc all by itself.

I've continued the test by leaving the watch in place in the winder for several days now and the watch has continued to run, and keep excellent time as you would expect for a 2836 movement.

My intention is to use this winder to keep my PAM 288 A7750 running so as to minimise manual winding of the movement. Now, I have read that many watch winders are not suitable to keep 7750 movements running indefinitely but this was due to some winders switching automatically from clockwise to anti-clockwise when the 7750 only winds in one direction. If that is true (experts please chip in here please ;)), then this winder should keep the PAM 288 running as long as I choose the correct winding direction.

I will update this thread when I have tested the PAM 288 (which I won't get until my birthday in two and a bit weeks :frusty:).

Hope this little review will be helpful to others who might be considering buying this or a similar type of watch winder :thumbsup2:.

Del

Glad to see this review was so helpful to others......:Whistle::rofl:

I'll stick to the "Fuck You" thread in future........:thumbsup:

greg_r

:rofl:

I have an acetimer winder. I think I last used it about two years ago :Whistle:

I just give my autos a swirl to get 'em started and wear 'em. That keeps 'em going. I've never manually wound an A7750 - never had the need. :thumbsup:

Del
I just give my autos a swirl to get 'em started and wear 'em. That keeps 'em going. I've never manually wound an A7750 - never had the need. :thumbsup:

Sounds good - where do I get one of those swirly things? :Whistle:

Seriously though, I guess you're right but if the winder keeps my 288 running then I won't even need to set it very often either - the less I need to set or wind it the better (so I don't fuck it up :rofl:).

greg_r

Sounds good - where do I get one of those swirly things? :Whistle:

I get 'em from the swirly shop, of course! :rofl:

Del

Well, I said I would update this hugely popular thread :huh: when I had tested the watch winder with my PAM288 - so here goes........it doesnae fuckin' work :facepalm:. Yes, the winder has failed miserably to keep the PAM288 (A7750 movement) running, even although I've got it set to the clockwise direction only.

Ah well, at least it kept the GMTIIc running so maybe I'll stick that back in :clap:.

Thanks for looking :wheredidthehostingmoneygo?:

greg_r

Not really surprised - most budget winders (and even some of the more expensive ones) fail with A7750s. Most other movements should work fine though...

... or you can always do what I do and use it as a paperweight :wheredidthehostingmoneygo?:

Luto

I've got the 2 watch Tutelary winder and has kept my 2 gen Rolex's running fine. Well worthwhile and not expensive either.

Del
Not really surprised - most budget winders (and even some of the more expensive ones) fail with A7750s. Most other movements should work fine though...

... or you can always do what I do and use it as a paperweight :D

:lol: or a single display watch box :rolleyes:

Fiddo

... or you can always do what I do and use it as a paperweight :D

:lol: or a single display watch box :rolleyes:

Try moving the winder so the watch is parallel to the surface the winder is on...instead of an angle. It seems to work better with a 7750 movement. At least it did for me.

greg_r

I think you mean perpendicular, not parallel, Fiddo :lol: , but it's possibly worth a shot - so long as the winder doesn't then wind itself off the damn shelf (please don't ask me how this possibility occurred to me :D)

Del

:D @ greg

Ok, worth a shot at the perpendicular method......:lol:

Fiddo
I think you mean perpendicular, not parallel, Fiddo :lol: , but it's possibly worth a shot - so long as the winder doesn't then wind itself off the damn shelf (please don't ask me how this possibility occurred to me :D)

No, I meant parallel. The watch face being parallel to the surface the winder sits on.( Instead of the 45ish degrees it now sits in the winder) I placed a small angled block of wood under the front of my winder. It seems to keep my 7750 wound now. I tried perpendicular (90 degrees) to the surface and that did not work.

greg_r

ah - perpendicular kinda worked for me... well, untill.... nevermind.... :lol:

Fiddo

......until it wound itself off the shelf? :D

greg_r

......until it wound itself off the shelf? :D

:rolleyes:

Del

I tried perpendicular, parallel, angled, every which way..... but I think I'm flogging a dead horse :D (at last I get to use this smilie B)).

It's official, this watch winder does NOT keep A7750s running :thumbsup:.

KeNnY

oh del, that is bad :thumbsup: the motor is slow in that thing ? then go, buy some better motor for RC model, and your watch will spin like crazy ! B) I am also wondering to get me 2 watch winder, but the prices for SHIPPING are killing me. So I think about watchbox with 2 watchwinders + 5 slots for watch. And I want to buy watchwinder only for the 7750 movement to be still running :D

Del
oh del, that is bad :thumbsup: the motor is slow in that thing ? then go, buy some better motor for RC model, and your watch will spin like crazy ! B) I am also wondering to get me 2 watch winder, but the prices for SHIPPING are killing me. So I think about watchbox with 2 watchwinders + 5 slots for watch. And I want to buy watchwinder only for the 7750 movement to be still running :D

Yes Kenny, the motor is pretty slow. I'm not too bothered actually, it would just have been nice not to have to wind and set the 288 very often to help look after the movement.

It worked ok with my GMTIIc with the A2836 movement so I'll pop that back in so I have a good watch "ready to go" at a moments notice :D.

KeNnY

I really wonder why it is not working on A7750 movement, it should do just fine like on the A2836. Maybe the rotor is not oiled ?

Del
I really wonder why it is not working on A7750 movement, it should do just fine like on the A2836. Maybe the rotor is not oiled ?

Don't know Kenny. The watch winds itself ok when I'm wearing it so there can't be anything wrong. From what I've read (and from what greg said above), A7750s appear to be difficult to keep running with winders.

KeNnY
A7750s appear to be difficult to keep running with winders.

we should check, when on what speed, the watchwinder fails to wind 7750. Maybe on some point then it works.

Mazz

What is it about the 7750 that makes them so hard to keep wound in a winder? Is it the direction of the movement spinning versus circular ?

Del
What is it about the 7750 that makes them so hard to keep wound in a winder? Is it the direction of the movement spinning versus circular ?

They only wind in one direction for a start. And perhaps take more spinning than this particular winder gives. I'm also wondering if my watch is winding correctly from the rotor - I'll be checking this soon and will report back in due course.

Mazz

Thanks Del for this thread its informative