Sign in to follow this  
Khronos

Watch box by Rainer - a review and pictorial

Khronos

I've been looking for a good quality storage for my modest collection of watches for quite some time. Watches are my number one obsession and I felt bad they didn't have a proper place to wait for their turn on the wrist :) Didn't want to or couldn't spend a fortune on a wooden box, but still wanted it to be a match to my lovely watches. My girlfriend also thought that the drawer is not the proper place and decided to get me a box of my choice for christmas :) ( thank you, very thoughtful :) )My main criteria was that it had to be made of wood, have slots wide enough to fit PAMs with their CGs and have enough space for thick watches. So after a long search on various websites and jewellry stores I decided to order a watch box from a maker that has a lot of positive reference on Paneristi and other places on the web. His name is Rainer and he sells his boxes on Paneristi and on ebay. His offer on Paneristi is much better, because shipping charges to my country are significantly lower there.

http://www.network54...th+XXL+chambers

I dropped him an email and he replied very fast and reassured me that it's a good quality box and that it fits huge PAMs easily. We exchanged a couple of emails and I must say that the communication is outstanding, he makes sure you're confident every step of the way. He shipped the box very quickly and it arrived from Germany to Slovenia in two days.

When the postman dropped off the box I thought Rainer made a mistake and sent me a 12 slot box instead of 6. But it was only the fact that the box was packed in 5 cardboard boxes, separated by newspapers and styrofoam. NOTHING can happen to the box during transport.

IMG_1777_zps0tnvjy7v.jpg

The box itself is of very high quality, slots are separated enough to fit large PAMs, height is also not an issue. The surface is smooth and has a nice texture. It's not a fingerprint magnet, but it needs to be dusted regulary since it's black. The cushions and the interior is made of synthetic leather, the cushions are not too soft and both watches with straps and bracelets fit very well. On to the pics:

IMG_1802_zpsfyvnxc42.jpg

IMG_1803_zpscszu1zow.jpg

IMG_1804_zpswvg9soaj.jpg

IMG_1805_zpsbrtmnbz8.jpg

IMG_1806_zps9buxj6xp.jpg

IMG_1807_zpsom8gl4zj.jpg

I can only recommed Rainer and his work, a true gentleman.

shokka9

Good work!

I have a 12 watch box, and I can totally agree with you. Awesome quality, at a decent price.

Enjoy it

wimpie007

Only downside is that he does not have display top cases

I have the 6 like you and it's awesome!

jmshen

This looks perfect. I've been in the same boat as you were. Thanks for the info and pics.

MetalMickey

I have an 8 box and it's the best watch related purchase I ever made, such great quality

WatchDog21

I have an 18 and love it. Handles all the larger watches great. Could use another 18 but may move all to a regular glass display case soon.

Jonnybaws

Couldn't agree more..

I have the 6 and 12 watch variants..

Unless you get a fancy box with a Gen purchase, you can't buy better than these!

Chiruku

Amazing boxes - have the 18 and love it. (Thinking about getting a 6 as well funnily enough) You will be upgrading to the 12 in no time! :D

JerAnt
Only downside is that he does not have display top cases

I have the 6 like you and it's awesome!

^^^^ This.

I love the look of Rainer boxes, and have been tempted to buy many times, but just can't get over the lack of a display window.

Looks fantastic though - enjoy!

Khronos

Thanks guys, it really is a fine piece of craftsmanship. My only personal downside, as wimpie007 has already mentioned, is the lack of the display window, but I can live with that. I think I'll stick to this size for a while, because I set myself an upper limit some time ago and I don't allow myself more than 6 watches at the time. I decided not to become a hearder, it's a waste of money. I think I like the hunting more than watching a pile getting bigger and bigger. Just received the CrPO yesterday and don't love it, so she needs to clear the slot to keep the ball rolling :)

redfire51

Badass box.

SamsonAusKognito

That box looks really classy! And nice pieces you got inside

Moondustesp

That looks really smart. I will have to have a little look into them :)

Abe Fromen

I've had a 6 pot Rainer for probably 7-8 years. Still looks new. I wanna get another but man the cost of shipping is almost the cost of a box.

shokka9

I've had mine for a little while now (over a year at least I think).

It's still in perfect condition, and it looks great. It' a bit emptier since I sold a few pieces off, but I will fill it back up for sure!

I had a slight issue with the push button to release the lock. It flew out one day, and I was in a rush...... so I forgot about it for a day or 2. Then I found the 2 pieces, and put them back on the hole, screwed in the button, and it's back to being perfect.

Just watch out for it, I am sure it has happened to other people?

Enjoy it!

Steph Deux

I've had a 6 pot Rainer for probably 7-8 years. Still looks new. I wanna get another but man the cost of shipping is almost the cost of a box.

Which is killing me.

Rats.

midasmook

Beautiful looking watch box and looks really well made. Always fancied one of these myself.

Mr_B

Been waiting to pull the trigger on one of these, after reading what the owners say about them I'm definitely going to, I know the display tops are nice but I really dig the simplicity of these.

purger72

Nice watch box Khronos, realy like it. It looks solid. As well nice watch colection you got there to.

I'll have to get one to as this hoby is a bit addictive and my bed side drawer is filling up fast.