Sign in to follow this  
jake

The Saga is (Pretty Much) Over - Here are My First Three Reps!

jake

Here's the story:

Lost my gen Tag Carerra Automatic. Ordered a Swiss ETA DJII with Blue MOP dial, a Swiss ETA Tag Carerra Automatic, and a 21J MB Sport a few months ago from Trusty Time to ease the pain. (Ordered three watches because shipping was free on three - otherwise I wouldn't have gotten the MB.) Got my QC pics, saw that the Tag was not correct with the gen, and not as pictured on the site (date wheel colors are inverted). Said I didn't want the Tag, and was told I'd have to pay shipping. Said it wasn't my fault that the pics on the site were wrong, and I really didn't want the MB to begin with, but would take it as long as I still didn't have to pay for shipping. Andrew agreed.

Got the DJII and the MB. Within a week the DJII stopped running, and none of Andrew's suggestions would get it moving again - something was definitely wrong. Was told to send it back to be fixed. A few days later the MB sounded like something had fallen appart inside it, and though it was still running, something was obviously wrong with it too, as it was making an ongodly racket any time I moved my wrist. Told Andrew that I was pretty disgusted with the whole ordeal, and wanted to ship them both back and get my money back. He agreed.

When the watches got there he confirmed that they were both damaged (not my fault) but said he had issues with his PayPal account and asked if I would take a credit. I had cooled down a bit and still wanted the DJII, so I agreed. I took the opportunity to switch to a grey dial, because I hadn't really liked the way the MOP reflected light. In addition, I ordered a 21J Omega Aqua Terra to replace the MB. I like that watch a lot, and I really wanted it in Swiss ETA, but I didn't want to put out the extra money yet.

I got the new DJII and the Aqua Terra, and immediately I saw something was wrong with the Aqua Terra (as discussed in my other posts). The second hand skipped, and it was off by about 10 seconds per minute. I told Andrew (and showed him a video of it) and he immediately told me he'd send a replacement. I asked if I could pay the difference for a different watch, as I was a little leary of that movement in that watch now, and he agreed. I went with a BR-02 with an Asian 4813.

The BR-02 came in today, and the DJII is still running fine, so I MIGHT finally be done with all this. There is a little issue with the BR-02 though... it has been stopping every now and then, and if it gets jostled sometimes it sounds like something is rapidly unwinding inside. I believe it has something to do with how tight the crown is screwed down though... seems that tinkering with that is producing different results every time, so hopefully I can just figure out what the right way to work with it is, because I REALLY don't want to send something back and wait for a new one again. (Any idea about that issue...?)

So if I can work that out and the smoke has finally cleared, I'll be very happy with my aquisitions. In the meantime I won a contest here and got a 21J GMTII which I recieved and put a NATO strap on the other day. Here are some pics of those three:

rolex.jpg

br.jpg

GMTII.jpg

I really have my fingers crossed here that the BR-02 issue is something I can work with... I'll be very content with this as the start of my collection. I also have to say kudos (for now) to Andrew for eventually making things right. I understand that the issues I've had are probably inherant to the rep watch business, and I think Andrew did the best he could to work things out with me. As I've learned a lot more since getting on this forum and poking around over the last few months, I have a much better idea what I'm looking at and what I can expect. Hopefully if I do business with Andrew again things will go more smoothly because of that.

All in all, this has been a great learning experience, and I'm (almost) happy with the end result... just trying to figure out this BR-02...

10:10 Watch Repair

That DJ is pretty cool.

Simple, conservative, clean.

jake
That DJ is pretty cool.

Simple, conservative, clean.

Yeah - that one's really "my style" and the B&R is just something that I've come to appreciate in learning more about reps and watches in general... not something I would have picked out even a few months ago - but I actually like it a lot! I hope I can sort out the issue with it...

But the DJ is my favorite, and it looks to me like a really great rep.

10:10 Watch Repair

my first real watch was a gen DJ bought from the local jewelry district. black dial, stick markers, similar to yours but 36mm.

Miss it.

AllergyDoc

If you had your watches from a scam dealer you'd be SOL. I've had bad luck with A21J watches lately. My DSSD from stops running for 10-15 minutes a day. My SD doesn't hack (but at least runs fine). The B&Rs must grow on you. :). I had one (not that model), but had to sell it when the wife told me it was ugly. :lol:

KeNnY

great ! I like that Pepsi ! :lol:

d1isthe1

Jake that was really patient of you .. Honestly if this had happened to me I wud have been frustrated... The watches look good.. Can u pls post a wrist shot of the BR 02

rychastings

I am really digging the Pepsi GMT. real classic :D

Del

Quite a saga right enough....glad you got (almost) everything sorted eventually.

Your three watches look great :lmao2:.

Akira
I also have to say kudos (for now) to Andrew for eventually making things right. I understand that the issues I've had are probably inherant to the rep watch business, and I think Andrew did the best he could to work things out with me. As I've learned a lot more since getting on this forum and poking around over the last few months, I have a much better idea what I'm looking at and what I can expect. Hopefully if I do business with Andrew again things will go more smoothly because of that.

All in all, this has been a great learning experience, and I'm (almost) happy with the end result... just trying to figure out this BR-02...

I have to say all you gave me was reasons not to buy from that dropshipper!

I know I'd have kicked his ass....

You got DOA watches for a year in one order, that has nothing to do with bad luck.

Wrong pictures, DOA watch, pp account problems, DOA watch....WTF???

Its just a bad dealer, save the trouble and go with Lay,Mary,Robert or RM next time.

And this is no advice, its fact.

Member X

I'm afraid I'm inclined to agree with akira... :itchyandscratchy:

I'm glad you got to a decent conclusion though - with any luck the BR02 is perhaps just a rotor that's too tightly screwed down (I think...). The DJII looks great, though. Can you post wristies of all of them? :lol:

jake
I'm afraid I'm inclined to agree with akira... :itchyandscratchy:

I'm glad you got to a decent conclusion though - with any luck the BR02 is perhaps just a rotor that's too tightly screwed down (I think...). The DJII looks great, though. Can you post wristies of all of them? :lol:

How might I correct a rotor that's too tightly screwed down?

I'll get wrists shots later, as I'm at work and the watches are at home. I have to say though - the B&R will probably look a little big on my wirst to most of you... but I don't care - I like it!

guitarbiker

Tend to agree with Akira ++++++

Member X

Big is good ;) I've only got 6.75" wrists and a BR01 homage looks just fine IMO ;):lol:

I'm not sure on the rotor thing - hopefully someone with some technical ability (not me lol) will be along shortly! :lmao:

barkingtoad
I also have to say kudos (for now) to Andrew for eventually making things right. I understand that the issues I've had are probably inherant to the rep watch business, and I think Andrew did the best he could to work things out with me. As I've learned a lot more since getting on this forum and poking around over the last few months, I have a much better idea what I'm looking at and what I can expect. Hopefully if I do business with Andrew again things will go more smoothly because of that.

I have to say all you gave me was reasons not to buy from that dropshipper!

I know I'd have kicked his ass....

You got DOA watches for a year in one order, that has nothing to do with bad luck.

Wrong pictures, DOA watch, pp account problems, DOA watch....WTF???

Its just a bad dealer, save the trouble and go with Lay,Mary,Robert or RM next time.

And this is no advice, its fact.

Yep im with Akira 2