Sign in to follow this  
SteveA

Water resistant v waterproof

SteveA

Water resistant v waterproof - whats the difference ?Lots of the trusted dealers advertise their spec as water resistant,is this sufficient for swimming or just the occasional hand in the sink job ?If I buy a rep how can I tell if its suitable for swimming ?

If I buy one thats not but I like it how could I get it tested and waterproofed - I cant do it myself ?

pollux1

USUALLY, chronos are less waterproof than non chronos due to the pushers. Water resistant is USUALLY good for a splash but no more then waterproof is rated, ie 30 atmospheres=300m iirc.

Please take into consideration that these are reps and as such have yours tested first before getting it anywhere near water as the seals on the caseback and the crown can be ungreased or in poor shape and as has been known to happen the crystal isn't seated properly allowing the ingress of water. hope this helps a little.

pollux1

Depending on your location you could get the watch pressure tested and have the watchsmith grease the seals/reseat the crystal if necessary.

KBH

There is no longer any such thing as "water proof". All watches are now rated at different degrees of water resistance.

Water resistant watches - Why aren't they water PROOF?

According to guidelines issued by the Federal Trade Commission, watch marketers are not allowed to label their watches "water-proof." The reasoning is that no watch is truly waterproof. Instead, a water resistance rating is given to some watches. The chart below is provided by Seiko Watch and can be used as a general guide for water resistance. In practice, the survivability of the watch will depend not only on the water depth, but also on the age of the sealing material, past damage, temperature, and additional mechanical stresses.

Test Pressure

Equivalent

Water Depth

Device should be suitable for:

3 bar

30 m

Accidental splashes only.

5 bar

50 m

Immersion without pressure such as being worn while washing up dishes.

10 bar

100 m

surface swimming

20 bar

200 m

scuba diving to a depth of 30 m

100 bar

1000 m

pressure greater than 500 m, which is at the limit of human endurance

SteveA

Thansk for the replies but would local watchmakers look at a rep ?

Del
Thansk for the replies but would local watchmakers look at a rep ?

Depends on the watchmaker - some will, some won't. Probably best to phone round a few in your area to ask first.

Luthier

Just don't tell him it's the replica. Most watchsmiths could do miracles, resurrecting dead movements, but they they don't know, what exactly movement they just saved. Words "Valjoux", ETA, "Sellita" - unknown to most of them.

stiltzkin
Just don't tell him it's the replica. Most watchsmiths could do miracles, resurrecting dead movements, but they they don't know, what exactly movement they just saved. Words "Valjoux", ETA, "Sellita" - unknown to most of them.

Is that right? So if I took a watch to a watchsmith (Say a brietling SOH with Sellita 200 mvmt) they are unlikey to know that it's the incorrect movement for the watch, unless of course they've worked for Breitling?

There is a 'proper' watchsmith in my local town, restores old clocks, watches etc and makes new ones. Just haven't got around to giving them a ring.

greg_r

Talk to him first - some watchsmiths will work on reps, others won't touch them. Ask before you hand it to him - he WILL know that it's a rep :(

SteveA

Well I have found a solution for my holiday daily beater.I had an old Slazeger sports watch on stanless,the type that looks like a rolex with balck and red bezel.Working order,keeps good time and water resistant to 50m.In my box of bits I had an old black rubber strap I think off one of my sons old Dunlop watches when he was a kid and into cars.The strap looks like tyre tread.Putthem together and what a good combo it is,sufficient for me anyway and saves me money to spend at Trusted dealers !

I will post picks when Iam more mobile but just had knee surgery again yesterday so a bit spaced and tender not to mention imobile.