Sign in to follow this  
racer1

Need Help in preserving Gold wrapped on Rolex

racer1

Hi all, I need advice on how to preserve the Gold part on my two tone Rolex submariner. The Gold parts ar gold wrpped. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

gB.

Limited wearing, or don't wear at all...? :huh:

Seriously though, the gold plating will wear faster with regular contact with the skin. Wouldn't advise using it as your daily beater, but occasional wear with regular soft cloth cleaning should keep it in good shape and last quite a while for you. :drool:

Also, why is this in the PWC feedback section?

Pentax
Hi all, I need advice on how to preserve the Gold part on my two tone Rolex submariner. The Gold parts ar gold wrpped. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

If it's gold wrapped yup should have no problem, gold wrapped can be lightly polished too

I wear my gold wrapped every day no problems I always wanted solid gold reps due to the fact of gold wearing off but gold wrapped will do just fine after have tested it

racer1

Cheers

If it's gold wrapped yup should have no problem, gold wrapped can be lightly polished too

I wear my gold wrapped every day no problems I always wanted solid gold reps due to the fact of gold wearing off but gold wrapped will do just fine after have tested it

Thanks guys !!

racer1

I need some suggestions on how to prevent the Gold on a two tone Rolex Submariner from wearing off. It is Gold Wapped. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Mod Edit: 2 threads merged.

KBH

The only thing I now is to keep it clean and just wash in soapy water when cleaning. Some people have a much more acidic perspiration than others and it can wear down the gold plate much faster. Obviously if you wear it 24/7 it will wear down faster than occasional usage.

gB.

...yes, if it's actually real gold used in the wrapping. If you buy a $200-$300 rep, you can bet real gold is not used in the wrapping, plain economics 101. Lower priced wrapped reps most likely use a "gold-tone" metal alloy and they will vary widely from one to the next on how durable they are based on the metals used. :lol:

KBH

...yes, if it's actually real gold used in the wrapping. If you buy a $200-$300 rep, you can bet real gold is not used in the wrapping, plain economics 101. Lower priced wrapped reps most likely use a "gold-tone" metal alloy and they will vary widely from one to the next on how durable they are based on the metals used. :lol:

Gold plating and gold wrapping is measured in microns. Most of the cost is in the process, not the amount of gold used.

And the added cost to a gold wrapped rep when you buy it is around $150 to $200 if I'm not mistaken. Plenty of money to pay for the amount of gold used.

Pentax??

gB.
Gold plating and gold wrapping is measured in microns. Most of the cost is in the process, not the amount of gold used.

And the added cost to a gold wrapped rep when you buy it is around $150 to $200 if I'm not mistaken. Plenty of money to pay for the amount of gold used.

Pentax??

Maybe, but hard to believe that a ~$200 TT rep with 1-2mm wrapped thick is actually using 14k or 18k real gold. Doesn't pass the economics sniff test, as the Chinese aren't in it to lose money... :lol:

KBH

Well, all I can say is I love your avatar's boobs. :lol: Can't even think about watches.

gB.
Well, all I can say is I love your avatar's boobs. :lol: Can't even think about watches.

Tru dat. :cheerleader2: Wait, what were we discussing? Got distracted again...

Luthier
Maybe, but hard to believe that a ~$200 TT rep with 1-2mm wrapped thick is actually using 14k or 18k real gold. Doesn't pass the economics sniff test, as the Chinese aren't in it to lose money... ;)

1-2mm??? Are you serious??? Links are thinner than that.

And - Yes, there's REAL gold on plating or wrapping. Gold in China is much cheaper, than in US, and 1 gram of gold is enough to plate 10-12 replicas. Go figure.

Take an acid, and drop a lil amount on goldplated surface, you'll see.

Pentax

...yes, if it's actually real gold used in the wrapping. If you buy a $200-$300 rep, you can bet real gold is not used in the wrapping, plain economics 101. Lower priced wrapped reps most likely use a "gold-tone" metal alloy and they will vary widely from one to the next on how durable they are based on the metals used. ;)

Pentax??

I measured the gold wrapped thickness on my watches the gold wrapped sheet is about 0,25mm it's bonded on to a bronze metal pc

I think that the thickness is enough to last for years, I have also seen other members watches that the have been wearing for 3-4 years gold wrapped versions (on pictures) that look quiet good to me I did not notice any wearing off of the gold

I guess the vale of gold on the wrapped versions comes to about +$100 inclusive labor. Don't forget its only 14k it's nearly 50/50 meaning that the contents of the gold mixed in the metal.

Surely there is a lot of cheating an confusion, I bought my wives DJ with rose gold links the seller (Mary) claimed that they were 18k which of course is not true. It's a 14k gold mixed with some other alloys to give it a rose tone. The reason that they claim it to be 18k is because you will not be able to distinguish the karats because of it's color. the watch cost me the same price as a regular 14k gold DJ ;-) if it was 18k there should have been an extra price of $25 on the watch.

Luthier
I measured the gold wrapped thickness on my watches the gold wrapped sheet is about 0,25mm it's bonded on to a bronze metal pc

I think that the thickness is enough to last for years.

Absolutely correct. I wear my TT Sub for at least 3 years, and it's still like a new watch.

Pentax

I think that the thickness is enough to last for years.

Absolutely correct. I wear my TT Sub for at least 3 years, and it's still like a new watch.

+1 Luth

Pentax

@racer

For how long do you want to preserve the gold on the watch?

Because gold wrapp needs no special preserving,wear it as if you would wear real gold

In the older watch manufacturing processes they used to plate watches 40-70 microns and you see many watches 20 years in age like seikos for example and the gold has not worn off.

In the gold wrapped watches the wrap is like say the watch has about or closed to 100 microns I don't think ghat you are planning to wear the fake for kore then 10 years and due to price ratio you can always bug a new rep after 5years

racer1
@racer

For how long do you want to preserve the gold on the watch?

Because gold wrapp needs no special preserving,wear it as if you would wear real gold

In the older watch manufacturing processes they used to plate watches 40-70 microns and you see many watches 20 years in age like seikos for example and the gold has not worn off.

In the gold wrapped watches the wrap is like say the watch has about or closed to 100 microns I don't think ghat you are planning to wear the fake for kore then 10 years and due to price ratio you can always bug a new rep after 5years

Thnak you all for your input. Pentax and Luthier, you both really made fell much more at ease knowing that the gold will last five years or so.

Cheers

AllergyDoc

Thickness of "wrapped gold":

3158099397_0bbe037fe3_o.jpg

Watch is 4-5 years old and has been polished a couple of times.

gB.

Isn't that your ~$1k YM Doc? Doubt you find that kind of thick wrapped "real" gold on a ~$200 rep... :wub:

Pentax

Isn't that your ~$1k YM Doc? Doubt you find that kind of thick wrapped "real" gold on a ~$200 rep... :wub:

Gb

My reps that I got from mary and Josh have that same thickness but the only difference is that they are bonded to brass othern the. Directly to the same steel as the watch making the sides look even more gen like in color the sides of doc are stainless steel it's a tell tell sign

Doc that does not mean that I don't like your ym it's beautiful watch mate

AllergyDoc

$1K to me but the exact same watch goes for about $400 from Polo Lu. It's a "Tawain Best". Def. not ~$200, you're right about that. Wrapped gold watches are upper $300's and higher.

I like the watch a lot! Have to find a way to get the tarnish off the gold crown.

Pentax
$1K to me but the exact same watch goes for about $400 from Polo Lu. It's a "Tawain Best". Def. not ~$200, you're right about that. Wrapped gold watches are upper $300's and higher.

I like the watch a lot! Have to find a way to get the tarnish off the gold crown.

Use a small plastic holder place warm water and dish washing soap leave it to soak in for 20 mins and then lightly shake it the tarnish should fall off

That is if your watch is water proof

Who is polo Lu?

Pentax
I bought the wtch from Sillix. This is the watch: http://www.silix-prime.com/rols013-p-1479.html

Racer

Did you ask silix if the watch is gold wrapped?

Because at the price I don't think it's wrapped it gold plated

Gold plated is not very resistant to long time wear I think it's worth paying an extra 100 to get the gold wrapped version

With the gold plated model you always have to take care.

greg_r

Yup - I agree with Pentax. At that price it's likely to be plated, not wrapped, which makes it more prone to wear - particularly on the bracelet.