Sign in to follow this  
tesmith2112

Can anyone ID this watch?

tesmith2112

I know where this watch came from, does anyone else? I would love to find a rep of it....

madoff_auction_ss_lot232.jpg

Aren

Yes, it is definitely a Rolex :rofl:

KBH

who-doesnt-have-a-75000-watch.jpg

Vintage Rolex O.P. "Monoblocco" chronograph wristwatch; aka "Prisoner Watch"

Estimated Price Range: $75000 - $87500

ROLEX: Gents 18ky vintage Rolex O.P. "Monoblocco" chronograph wristwatch; aka "Prisoner Watch"; domed plastic crystal; black dial w/ rose tri-sticks & Arabic numerals; gold hands; polished bezel; 35mm round case; dk brown alligator strap (tang); Model 3525; 17 jewel Rolex mechanical winding mvmt; Serial 380223 (1945).

Given to WWII prisoners in care packages in German prison camps. Rumoured to have small maps folded up inside to help prisoners escape. The one pictured above was owned by Bernie Madoff.

Aren

The watch listed by the poster does not have any writing under the name Rolex,

and the numerals are missing on the dial of the first watch.

The first watch looks like a rep if KBH's post is a photo of a gen.

KBH

I'm guessing his is an earlier version from around 1940. I did see an earlier square faced Rolex that otherwise looked quite similar.

0070_1_lg.jpg

But, it could just as easily be a bad rep!

tesmith2112

KBH nailed it! This is also a prisoner watch owned by the infamous (prisoner himself) Bernie Madoff.

ROLEX, sold for $30,000.00: Gents st.steel vintage Rolex chronograph wristwatch; black dial w/ white Arabics; 35.06mm round case; Black stitched Alligator strap (tang); 17 jewel Rolex Geneve mechanical winding mvmt (222); Case 2508; Serial 041368 (1933). Note: Professionally restored

http://www.thestreet.com/gallery/tsc-madof...to-lot-232.html

madoff_auction_ss_lot232.jpg

Blackadder

Amazing that this went for only $30k, where 15 year old Panerais are going for double that and 5 year old Panerais are going for $100k... seems way out of line ;)

Mazz
Given to WWII prisoners in care packages in German prison camps. Rumoured to have small maps folded up inside to help prisoners escape. The one pictured above was owned by Bernie Madoff.

Perhapse Bernie could use one with a map folded inside ............... ;)

tesmith2112

It's pretty clear that Bernie was a POS by stealing $18B and ruining 1000's of lives, however, he did have one hell of a watch collection. The guy had good taste IMO. They sold 44 of his watches at auction, and it was a sweet collection.

If you read some of the comments regarding this article, you'll see some pretty interesting (and intelligent) criticism of his collection, but I personally love the vintage Rolex, restored or not.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/...oes-hammer.html

Aren

:lmao2: tesmith...

Andy called that Rolex as a Madoff watch for me when you first posted it.

Good calls then you guys.

andygt

The subdials look a lot bigger than on any other 2508s I can find pictures of and also all the others have "anti magnetic" on the dial, wonder if old Bernie had a fake...

prestigewatchco

I wonder if anyone in authority really beleives they have found the bulk of his wealth and that his family now live on welfare!

Normal behaviour for a very rich person is to leave in veiw what they can afford to loss and hide the rest.

Can't beleive a man clever enough to fool all the would be experts for so many years would finish up getting all his money seized

Aren

+1000 Robert

He probably has hard currency stashed away together with priceless works of art and accounts in the Grand Caymans and everywhere else.

It would be extremely unlikely that the obscenely wealthy

would do other than you supposed.

What was allowed to be seized was probably a grain of sand on the beach of Allah

compared to what he hid away.

andygt

If rumours are to be believed then OJ Simpson thought the same as Robert - his gold Sub turned out to be a fake when he had his assets seized....with the real one safe in a vault somewhere no doubt.

Could be a similar situation with this one and that DRSD that turned up on the bay.

KBH

When 18b was lost, it wasn't all in Bernie's hands. Quite a few billions have been tracked down to other players in the scheme, many who took their cut out early. And, although I'm sure the Mrs and family have some nuts squirreled away, I doubt it's as much as being implied.

And why did Bernie's son commit suicide, if he's filthy rich?

prestigewatchco

Well KBH I would love to be a $ behind them in the wealth stakes

andygt

Do rich people not ever kill themselves then?