Sign in to follow this  
Aggie81

Hi from SLC, Utah

Aggie81

Hi all,

Joined the forum earlier today and wanted to introduce myself.

I was first introduced to mechanical watches about five years ago while shopping for a wedding ring. The salesmen let me try on a Navitimer and I was obsessed with Breitlings for the next few years. However, I didn't really get into it until a few months ago. After spending some time learning about what goes into a watch, I've found myself drawn to lesser known brands and designs. I'm also extremely interested in watch movements. Anyway, I'm here for two reasons: (1) I'm thinking of buying a replica; and (2) I'm interested in learning about replica movements, both to avoid being ripped off and so I can make informed decisions about what I value in a watch. Browsing through the forums here has also got me thinking that I might like to mod a watch. I'm excited to get to know you guys, learn from you, and hopefully share what I learn with other hobbyists someday.

Matt

P.S.

I'd appreciate any recommendations for specific replicas. I'm interested in reps with higher-end, mechanical movements and materials that are as close to identical as possible to the model they are based on (seems like someone here called them super reps)? The only watch I own is a gen Oris Big Crown Small Seconds Pointer Day that I bought last month. I really like the following models, but the gens are WAY out of my price range: A. Lange & Shone, Lange 1; Bell & Ross Jumping Hour; F. P. Journe Octa Calendar; IWC Portuguese; JLC Master Reserve De Marche; Omega De Ville; Tag Grand Carrera?

Balad1

Welcome, take your time and learn before buying.

greg_r

Welcome to RWG! ;)

Before you jump in and start buying, have a good read of the board - there's a lot of info that you're likely to find useful. In particular, take a look at the topics pinned to the top of the "New Members", "General Discussion" and "watch upgrade, repair and reference" subforums :)

Del

Hello and welcome ;)

KBH

Welcome Matt, I've been out to SLC twice in the last couple of years visiting a relative. Beautiful place to live!

I can't help you much with your reps of choice although I've seen some real nice Omega DeVilles and Tag Grand Carrerras. I don't know if they would qualify as "super-reps" though. Most of the reps of high end watches with proprietary movements won't be repped, or will be poorly repped due to the lack of availability of similar movements

dingle

welcome to the nuthouse :lmao2:

Aggie81
Welcome Matt, I've been out to SLC twice in the last couple of years visiting a relative. Beautiful place to live!

I can't help you much with your reps of choice although I've seen some real nice Omega DeVilles and Tag Grand Carrerras. I don't know if they would qualify as "super-reps" though. Most of the reps of high end watches with proprietary movements won't be repped, or will be poorly repped due to the lack of availability of similar movements

Yea, I grew up in UT then spent the last three years in Washington, DC. The city was a blast, but it also made me realize how much I value space and the slightly slower pace of life. Moved back a few months ago and couldn't be happier. Thanks for the welcome and the tips re reps. I think I'm starting to get a picture of what is available. Now I need to get back to work!!!