Sign in to follow this  
krag90

Mark XVI 3255-02 Spitfire Franken

krag90

Sooo..

Been thinking more and more about frankens and how to improve already good reps. The Mark XVI spitfire is one of those fliegers that gets me going in all the right places, if you know what I mean. ;) The replica, V1, is also gen specced, 2892 clone gives the right stemheight, dimensions are exact and so on. Came over some gen parts and the first switch I made was the crown and tube, quite easy fix. Just take your favourite lighter and fire that old tube up to get rid of eventual glue, then add some force with pliers. Woilla!

DSC06685_zpsajo27fwb.jpg

I bought this V1 at pure time, thinking it was a V2, damned my self when it arrived. The crown wasn't close, stuck out a couple of extra milimeters. The dial is ok I guess but it's lacking quality lume application and the "LP"-style machined tracks are non existent. So, gen dial was bought as well.

In all my foolishness I thought that I needed the updates from V2 to get it as right as possible. But nooooooo! Bought this: http://www.pf-818.com/-p-13187.html cause the spitfire was non existent, and something wasn't right. Opened up the caseback and no inscriptions whatsoever on the movement, totally blank. The stem tube had gone out of the case, probably under shipping to me, and hey, didn't mind cause I was gonna change the tube and crown anyways. To my despair, the gen tube didn't fit! The hole was too big! Then I checked the "Scam" V1 and, thank the watchgods, it fit like a glove! Put the stem in the freezer to make it shrink as much as possible, applied loctite in the boett and press like there is no tomorrow! There it was! My V1 case, I thought I've got ripped of on, and that's the case I'm running for Franken candidate XVI number one.

Next pic shows the convenient loose stem on the black XVI and the old crown on the spitfire.

DSC06593_zpsa2187wzx.jpg

So. First post and there will be more! The only thing i'm missing is a seconds hand on it's way! That could take a couple of weeks, but the crown change did wonders all ready! :)

Edited by krag90

krag90

The repdial, gen crown mounted, rep crown on top:

DSC06702_zps2sc9kigl.jpg

Some dial shots:

PICT_20160322_001405_zpsfkhrinnn.jpg

PICT_20160322_001307_zpso9afenqs.jpg

PICT_20160322_001213_zpsvy8qep2p.jpg

No franken without a gen movement? :)

DSC06704_zpsuomspf1a.jpg

DSC06703_zpsw0irbkpe.jpg

Still in search for the sweeping seconds hand. Then I'll think I will be satisfied and put it together! :B):

scope

That's gonna be nice!Cannot wait to see the finished project.

krag90

Me neither. The thing I'm looking forward to the least is lubing the movement. I opened it up last week and, the movement is never used but old. Probably almost completely dried out. Took me almost 2 hours taking the keyless out and putting it back again. Thats very much needed if I want it to work properly. oh the angst.. :help3:

Edited by krag90