Sign in to follow this  
robjob

3777 Micro Adjuster Slipping, help!

robjob

Hi All,

Greetings from Sri Lanka!!

I am coming to the Table of Knowledge to ask for assistance on how to fix my micro adjuster on my 3 day old 3777. Basically it was not holding and slipping, straight out of the wrappers and I am not going to send it back for this. I am sure there are folks out there who have had this problem and fixed it quickly.....I hope.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

greg_r

Moved to watch repair

JSJ

Hi All,

I am coming to the Table of Knowledge to ask for assistance on how to fix my micro adjuster on my 3 day old 3777. Basically it was not holding and slipping, straight out of the wrappers and I am not going to send it back for this. I am sure there are folks out there who have had this problem and fixed it quickly.....I hope.

Cheers

I have many rep IWC bracelets and none of them did this. If they did, I would carefully take it apart.

There are two screws which I expect will release the spring. I recommend not losing the screws or any of the rest of the mechanism because they will be very difficult to replace.

This is from a Mk XVII but it's the same mechanism.

16e122c76317b5d3b0c732cd50954200.jpg

Once you have it apart I'm sure it will be possible to adjust. Take some pics of it and we can sort it out. I would be prepared to take one of mine apart to compare if that will help.

Another option might be to ask the TD for a new clasp.

robjob
Hi All,

Cheers

I have many rep IWC bracelets and none of them did this. If they did, I would carefully take it apart.

There are two screws which I expect will release the spring. I recommend not losing the screws or any of the rest of the mechanism because they will be very difficult to replace.

Once you have it apart I'm sure it will be possible to adjust. Take some pics of it and we can sort it out. I would be prepared to take one of mine apart to compare if that will help.

Hi JSJ,

Thank you very much for your reply and assistance. Looking at your pic it looks exactly the same. I have pulled mine apart, and yes those screws and spring are very small! I thought maybe the top bar was on wrong way and not gripping but it was correct. Basically as far as I can tell there simply is not enough down pressure on the bar to grip. If I apply pressure on top of the bar with my finger then it will grip. I am currently flying for the next 4 days for business and cannot take a pic for you until I return.

I was thinking maybe placing a very thin shim under the square washer, it may apply more down pressure to make it grip. What do you think?

Cheers

JSJ
Hi All,

Cheers

Hi JSJ,

Thank you very much for your reply and assistance. Looking at your pic it looks exactly the same. I have pulled mine apart, and yes those screws and spring are very small! I thought maybe the top bar was on wrong way and not gripping but it was correct. Basically as far as I can tell there simply is not enough down pressure on the bar to grip. If I apply pressure on top of the bar with my finger then it will grip. I am currently flying for the next 4 days for business and cannot take a pic for you until I return.

I was thinking maybe placing a very thin shim under the square washer, it may apply more down pressure to make it grip. What do you think?

Cheers

Yes, exactly the way I was thinking too. If you disassemble and take pics, I'll do the same and maybe we can work out the difference.

It might just be that reassembling yours will fix it? Maybe something was not seated correctly?

JSJ

Just looking at the way they work, the bar which goes across the ratchet tips as it stops the ratchet moving. It tips one way when you slide the ratchet and then the other way when it stops the ratchet moving. Does yours tip? I'm wondering if the tipping is the bit that is not working.

I can see if I can take a vid but it's going to be a challenge.

JSJ

No vid but these show the tipping.

Tipped (ratchet in tension)

c59c0f5ca28cd6421bd8897c7b7dbb36.jpg

Flat (ratchet sliding in the closing direction)

35e33ea8b8cf85b0cba0aea92b13a35d.jpg

robjob

Awesome find mate. I honestly did not notice that when I was looking at it. I'm home Friday after lunch so will be looking into this for sure, as soon as I have kissed the dog...hugged the kids and pat the wife!.............wait.... I got that wrong...............cheers

JSJ

Awesome find mate. I honestly did not notice that when I was looking at it. I'm home Friday after lunch so will be looking into this for sure, as soon as I have kissed the dog...hugged the kids and pat the wife!.............wait.... I got that wrong...............cheers

:rofl:

robjob

:rofl:

Hi JSJ,

Feel like a bit of a knucklehead here. I am having a hell of a time trying to upload the pics I took. I hit the paste button and try to paste into the pop up box but nothing happens. Any tips so I can show you the adjuster.

cheers

JSJ

You using photobox? You need to host the pics somewhere.

Tapatalk works fine with posting pics directly in the app too.

There are threads on this but I can't search on my phone.

robjob

20160402_195240_zpsbt7z9t5b.jpg

20160402_185213_zpszgtmtlyz.jpg

Ok finally!!!!!

Here it is. The one thing I noticed was it does not rock like yours. Pretty much just stays upright. You will see the little space under the square washers and this is to allow the latch bar to move up when you press the release button underneath. There just does not seem to be enough downward pressure to stop the teeth slipping.

cheers

robjob

20160402_184953_zpslssfmxev.jpg

This shows the little gap I was talking about under the washer .

cheers

fatarms

Ok finally!!!!!

Here it is. The one thing I noticed was it does not rock like yours. Pretty much just stays upright. You will see the little space under the square washers and this is to allow the latch bar to move up when you press the release button underneath. There just does not seem to be enough downward pressure to stop the teeth slipping.

cheers

The thing I notice in the first pic is that there seems to be metal shavings in the slats to the left of the adjustment mechanism. I wonder if the adjustment slat (?) is either too shallow to fully engage the grooves on the clasp if that makes sense? It slips and is slowly stripping it? I hope you understand what I'm getting at here, not sure of the exact terminology. Just looking at the first two grooves to the left of the adjustment mechanism in the first two pics.

JSJ

Ok finally!!!!!

cheers

The thing I notice in the first pic is that there seems to be metal shavings in the slats to the left of the adjustment mechanism. I wonder if the adjustment slat (?) is either too shallow to fully engage the grooves on the clasp if that makes sense? It slips and is slowly stripping it? I hope you understand what I'm getting at here, not sure of the exact terminology. Just looking at the first two grooves to the left of the adjustment mechanism in the first two pics.

Yes, understood. I'd say that metal shavings are more likely left from the machine shop in China.

Did you have it apart? The tipping is a fundamental part of the locking mechanism so if it's not doing that it may be the reason it's not locking. I wonder if everything is seated properly.

robjob

HI,

Yes it does appear to be metal shavings however there is nothing loose and it is just the machining as it is not crisp. I have had it apart as I suspected the top bar was on the wrong way as the teeth must be facing each other to grip on the extension side and slide back on the return side. This was in the correct way. Like I said if I place a little extra pressure on the bar with my finger it engages very well and works as it is supposed to. Bit difficult to do when I'm wearing it!! :giggle:

Frankly I think the machining is a bit sub par and just will not gripping properly as everything else seems to be right. I contacted Jennifer at PT and she has asked for a small vid so will send it to her and hopefully they will send a new mechanism along with my next purchase. ( I will even save them the shipping cost).

Not a huge problem but annoying enough to stop me wearing the watch and I bought it to wear it!

I will let you know what reply I get. I appreciate the help and if you find a solution please do let me know.

cheers

robjob

Still waiting for official confirmation it is not working. Took video and sent pics as requested to PT and they have sent it to Manufacturer. I sure I would have had it by now if I offered to buy the new clasp! Will let you know.

:help3: :titanic:

JSJ

You are now a full-fledged member of the rep 'hurry up and wait' club.

I hope you have a good outcome in the end.

robjob

Thanks JSJ,

sorry been a bit slow to reply. Been suffering from bloody Dengue fever. Damn mozzies!!!!!! Anyway got an interesting reply from PT, and I quote, "

Dear sir

we have got the same models from the maker but the issue is same to all these watches,sir"

Bit troubling to think that there in house QC did not pick this up, or did and decided not to mention it. Anyway no point in flogging a dead horse...... So I have just asked for an option that is suitable for us both and am waiting to hear back.

Baptism of fire.............But I love it all the same. Still get a kick out of looking at my wrist and seeing something I desire for a fraction of the cost.

cheers

JSJ
Thanks JSJ,

sorry been a bit slow to reply. Been suffering from bloody Dengue fever. Damn mozzies!!!!!! Anyway got an interesting reply from PT, and I quote, "

Dear sir

we have got the same models from the maker but the issue is same to all these watches,sir"

Bit troubling to think that there in house QC did not pick this up, or did and decided not to mention it. Anyway no point in flogging a dead horse...... So I have just asked for an option that is suitable for us both and am waiting to hear back.

Baptism of fire.............But I love it all the same. Still get a kick out of looking at my wrist and seeing something I desire for a fraction of the cost.

cheers

Well although the microadjuster is really great, you could still wear it without. Nobody could possibly know. The bracelets are dead easy to adjust.

Monty010

Have the same thing on my petit Prince clasp. Bugged me so I just switched over to a brown ammo strap. No slipping clasp since :lol:

porschespeedster

Isn't it possible to remove the whole assembly (and just use the bracelet without it) or nah?

JSJ

Isn't it possible to remove the whole assembly (and just use the bracelet without it) or nah?

You don't need to do that. It will be fine on its biggest setting without micro-adjustment.

Sakurai

I feel like such an idiot - got my first IWC from Toro yeaterday, the new 3777 on bracelet. As I was adjusting the bracelet it seemed like the micro adjustment just wouldn't cooperate, also I had this thread fresh in memory. So, not being one to shy away from a challenge I pulled out my trusty screw drivers and carefully loosened the locking bar to get the perfect fit - problem solved!

Tonight I realized you engage the micro adjustment mechanism by pushing the IWC logo on the clasp - oh well, that's neat! :boobies2:

robjob

Yep you are right JSJ. Just bugs the hell out of me knowing. Oh well time to get over it and move on. Great to know there is this awesome resource for anything else that may come along with my new hobby. cheers mate