Sign in to follow this  
Aren

Ebay Auction - Can you Help Me Please

Aren

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Seller states that he did not open the case back.

You guys know I am a novice. I would ask one of you to look at this watch for me.

I wouldn't buy something on Ebay without asking you guys for an opinion.

If the movement can't be seen, how can the watch be adequately examined?

I was told that the flaking on the hands can be normal even on a gen vintage watch.

My messages went like this:

9 February 2011

Dear bench315,

Is there a reason why you haven't shown the movement?

Will you open the case and post a photograph?

If this is a genuine Omega, I would like to see the movement.

Thanks,

- arenarias

10 February 2011

Dear arenarias,

You don't seem to trust me... a seller of vintage watches with 27000+ feedbacks. I don't like to open good running watches. My old watchmaker said if it ain't broke don't fix it. Especially these smaller watches are not the easiest to open. I'll look at it tonight after woork but I assure you this is a real Omega with a real OMEGA MOVEMENT. My reputation is staked on that, Sincerely, Wayne

- bench315

11 February 2011

Hello Bench,

Why would you think that my wanting to see the movement is a challenge to your credibility. Removing the case back is not asking you to touch the movement or alter the watch.

It is ok if you don't want to remove the case back, but if you do not know what the movement looks like, how do you know the watch is genuine? Just curious. I am not trying to give you a hard time, but I cannot tell the difference sometimes between a genuine watch and a replica watch without looking at the movement. If you know how to do this, I would greatly and gratefully appreciate knowing how. No offense whatsoever to you Sir.

Thank you,

Arenaria

RWG Members...

Am I being unreasonable? I don't think so. This watch is dirt cheap ATM but I have watched these auctions and have seen them go way into the hundreds. Of course at those prices I would not bid, but this seller's "take my word for it attitude" doesn't seem up front to me. Still...what do I know? Seller exaggerated his feedback exponentially, but I think that is a typo.

Please advise me. I know none of you would buy this out from under me right? :blink:

TIA...your input is greatly appreciated.

All The Best,

Arenaria

randy3y

I am not certain if the ebay link is the same one you are talking about as the seller on the one I am linking to appears to have only 2850 or so feedbacks.

The caseback on the watch shown on my link is really scratched up from a botched attempt at opening the back.

I do not think you are being unreasonable at all - opening to see he movement is done all the time. Dealers do not by them without opening so why should buyers not expect the same.

barkingtoad

Back not open no deal

Rav747
Back not open no deal

+1

Unreasonable? hardly. With all the reps floating around, you can never be to sure these days.

Aren

I noticed on most of his other auctions he shows the movement.

I don't understand why this one would be so hard.

In his sellers history he has a Breitling which doesn't look gen to me,

but I am usually wrong.

The 60 on the Tach is not top dead center and the 240 is not in alignment with the crown

Maybe the bezel is just on crooked, but I look for 90 degrees and it looks crooked to me.

Am I mistaken here...look at picture #4. The hands are correct, maybe the bezel is just crooked. The hands are at 90 degrees and look crooked on the dial. Click full description for photo number 4.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...D&viewitem=

I am interested in the Ladies Omega. But it bothers me that he usually shows the movements, yet he didn't on the Breitling :(

I think I can look with more discrimination at a men's watches because you gents have educated me.

Your input is appreciated. Thank you.

Yes Randy...that is the one. If he can't open the back I sure won't be able to do it.

His actual feedback is 2700+.

scope

Aren, It looks gen but what is he hiding? He said it feels like a automatic? I think he would know what the hell he

is selling. It should have a 684 Auto movement.

Aren
Aren, It looks gen but what is he hiding? He said it feels like a automatic? I think he would know what the hell he

is selling. It should have a 684 Auto movement.

Thank you Scope and thanks everyone.

I will wait to see if he replies. I can see (as Randy said) the case back is damaged.

I don't understand why he would buy a watch he couldn't get into.

To me, if he doesn't know what he bought, he can't know what he is selling.

I probably shouldn't look at Ebay because I don't know enough.

If he takes the case back off and provides a photo I will share it.

I just wondered if I was being unreasonable. Maybe I should have phrased my

request more delicately. This guy is ego invested in his listings. I don't think

someone confident would have reacted that way, but I don't know.

It looks like he opens case backs normally, but the instances where he doesn't

look suspicious to me.

I appreciate all of your replies and I don't think I am being unreasonable.

I just wanted to be sure and know you guys would tell me.

Thank you. I will see what he sends to me tomorrow.

Inushuk

I have an idea : Let's all send to this seller the same request ... "OPEN THE Fu@$^ù: damm watch and show us the inside ..."

I 'm sure at the end of the day he will post some pict .... :(

Aren
I have an idea : Let's all send to this seller the same request ... "OPEN THE Fu@$^ù: damm watch and show us the inside ..."

I 'm sure at he end of the day he will post some pict .... ;)

:rofl: @ Jarnould

But... that may cause him to remove the listing.

I would definitely get this watch if it was cheap.

I don't want to harass the seller. I am not into that.

I just thought I made a reasonable request.

You gents seem to agree.

Let's just see what, if anything he does. :(

Thanks, you guys are terrific.

KBH

I wonder if he just can't get it open. Maybe he's the one that screwed up the back trying.

Other than that I'm pretty sure it's a gen. I'd only want to see to make sure there is no old moisture damage to the movement.

Baldrick

I've just bought it!

Aren
I've just bought it!

Do you mean the "watch" or "the big one?"

Baldrick

I've never needed to buy the 'big one', I meant the watch :(

Aren
I've never needed to buy the 'big one', I meant the watch :P

You are just kidding me, aren't you Baldrick?

I still see the listing.

I am sure Mrs. Baldrick has much nicer watches than that old one.

You must be teasing me Baldrick ! :)

Baldrick

:)

No, honest Injun, I bought it for Mrs B , I thought I'd take a chance :P

You know the old saying: If you're not first, you're last or , "you're right, I'm left, she's gone' :D

KBH

Mrs. Baldrick???

Pictures, or it never happened!

Baldrick
Mrs. Baldrick???

Pictures, or it never happened!

Oh it happens, for pics, see SFA :)

Aren

He always says, "Mrs. Baldrick didn't raise no fool."

There has to be at least one....one Mrs. Baldrick that is...there are plenty of fools.

Are you calling Baldrick a Bastard KBH? I am sure you aren't.

Besides, most of you guys are married! You included KBH.

I really don't think Baldick is unattached...as in available...single...unmarried...

open for business.

You know what I mean.

But this isn't about Baldrick's marital status. This is about the old watch.

Did you really buy it?

Then...Pictures or it didn't happen!

Baldrick
:) take a chill pill Aren, you of all members should know me AND whether it happened or not :P

KBH

I'm sure Mrs. Baldrick didn't raise no fool. I dun know bout you but my spouse sure didn't raise me.

Married men don't normally live in Pattaya. That's were I'd want to go if I was divorced or otherwise single.

Baldrick
Married men don't normally live in Pattaya. That's were I'd want to go if I was divorced or otherwise single.

1. I don't live in Pattaya!

2. My Dad was known as Mr Baldrick my Mum was known as Mrs Baldrick and raised me, I'm a Baldrick, my wife is now a Baldrick and my son is a Baldrick also, I'm not so sure about your genealogy tho' :)

3. Are you 'professing' to be another expert on Thai life / culture / social studies and the residential habits of all farangs, most 'married men' I know in Pattaya are 'normal' :P

4. If Pattaya is where you'd want to be when the bomb drops, I'd recommend Robert as a tour guide, no, wait a minute, Boyztown might not be your scene :D

GC

it's a Gen...how do i know? Because no one is going to Rep a ladies 1970's Omega of which there are a plethora

Aren
:) Thanks Baldrick!

KBH

I might re-phrase that to "Married foreigner's don't often move to Pattaya".

Can you find fault with that? I'm sure you can.

Baldrick

My pleasure Aren, just mah wee joke :)

As GC said, and I hate to emphasise this, no factory is going to tool up for a vintage Ladies Omega wristwatch which has no history, is not collectible and in many ways is quite unremarkable, the replica bizness, like the genuine watch industry is primarily targeted towards men, except in the instance of haute joallerie, of which this Omega is quite singularly bereft., it's not a puppet you muppet, ( rough translation: it's not a fugazi) :P

EDITED TO ADD: Bid up to what you can afford to lose and see what happens, you may win, you may not, it's still a nice watch, if you paid $100 for it as a rep, would you be unhappy, if you paid $100 and it was gen, would you be happier still :D