help me decide on a solar diver / Citizen vs. Seiko

Seiko vs Citizen  

46 members have voted

1. 1. which should I buy?

• Seiko ssc017
    • Citizen endeavor aw1420-55a
    • none of these

Dorian84

So I wanna buy a hussle free ecodrive/solar gen diver watch for the summer ( swimming,sports...)

I have been looking at these two and cant decide, price is roughly the same 220-240 eur

Citizen is a bit bigger and has more power reserve !

Seiko has a more traditional design, is a bit smaller and has a chrono!

30C23DE7-8677-46E1-859A-EDB8A61A372C_zpsaklxgylc.jpg

A101DD78-98CB-4169-9852-59F35D7F16C1_zpsbdtabmye.jpg

Edited by Dorian84

Mike on a bike
schnitz36

Quite the different watches there. The Seiko is Chrono the Citizen is not.

Citizen, in my opinion, makes better solar (eco-drive) watches as they're one of the pioneers in the japanese watch industry of this. Seiko on the other hand probably the undisputed champ of Japanese watches, but they introduced the solar line not too too long ago.

If you do truly use this for snorkeling and diving I would go with the Citizen since the chrono is kind of pointless and just more seals to break and let you down.

Good luck

Mike on a bike

For sure no chrono that is why I posted the non-chrono Seikos.

grinner

I have that same Seiko. I bought it for the same reason as you -- a watch to wear in the summer at the beach, in the water, etc. I like it so much, I sometimes wear it to the office. You can't go wrong with it, and I want to point out a couple of things about it: 1) the bezel is buttery smooth, probably the best of any watch I own, and that includes several gen Omegas; and 2) the chrono seconds hand moves smoothly, without 1-second jumps like on many Quartz chronos.

Mike on a bike
grinner
I have that same Seiko. I bought it for the same reason as you -- a watch to wear in the summer at the beach, in the water, etc. I like it so much, I sometimes wear it to the office. You can't go wrong with it, and I want to point out a couple of things about it: 1) the bezel is buttery smooth, probably the best of any watch I own, and that includes several gen Omegas; and 2) the chrono seconds hand moves smoothly, without 1-second jumps like on many Quartz chronos.

One more thing I just noticed about the Citizen -- it has an integrated bracelet. The bracelet on the Seiko is good, but if you don't like it, it's easy to take it off and replace it with a rubber or NATO strap. Can't do that with the Citizen based on the photo. Just a thought.

Mike on a bike

here is a classic b9c1d917fa508e67151b51cd1fb28e49.jpg

Dorian84

up

GenTLe
nunu78

Seiko for me.

Theduke.williams

Seiko al the way for me.

I just think that citizen sounds cheaper, the sort of watch you go to Argos (or Walmart) to buy, whereas you go to a Jewellery shop for a Seiko.

Certainly that's unfair in this case, but that's just my impression.

MetalMickey

Seiko. That particular model is superb, chunky, surprisingly heavy for a quartz, and superb value for money.

griffon22

Seiko every time , lume is superior ,even better in the big prospex divers, this one is my daily wear watch, ultra accurate and very comfortable.

SSC017P_zps5ijfodzm.jpg

DSC_1516_zpsxgqtd5s2.jpg

reivilo

I had a Citizen Eco-Drive, not for diving, more kind of dress model ( LARGO model ), bought it in 2003 and, in 2010, i decided to give it to my father in law. All i did on the watch, was to have the case abd the bracelet polished, we are in 2016 and it still works great, it keeps good time and all the fonctions are working perfectly!

Gazzla

For the same dough you can get one of these:

lChJbYT.jpg

s6XOBVO.jpg

XIgrDxx.jpg

WatchDog21

I believe I may be somewhat partial to Seiko but the SSC017 is on my list.

Pob

Lol those are the two models of seiko I want but can't decide! Guess I'll have to get both but in pepsi.

Gaz you made me look that one up and I fell in love ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iperleyr

I have that Seiko Solar and its lovely. I have small wrists so its been on a nato since day one (much more comfortable than the bulky bracelet it comes on and it adds to the summer feel of the watch). Plus, you can never go wrong with Seiko lume.

NMA
:boxedin: auto???
IMG_0509_zpsuc4nejxq.jpg

Edited by NMA

SamsonAusKognito

Seiko looks best! More sporty, because crown+pushers and more summer because of the colour.

tonyh7

Of the two I like the Citizen - but I'm not a fan of chronos. Of the watches suggested I'd go for the Kinetic diver that Gazzala has suggested, though charging up a kinetic does present a few more issues than a solar. I do dive and use a cheapo Seiko solar diver. It operates perfectly at depth, has great lume which matters when it's murky, and also the bezel is easy to get hold of and has a good positive click - also important.

Dorian84

thanks guys for all the tips and effort.....bought the seiko solar a while ago;))))

regards

Mr_B

My seiko solar diver was awesome until the battery completely died....