Sign in to follow this  
ALPINEWARRIOR

21J Auto movement vs Asian Quartz

ALPINEWARRIOR

Hi, Considering buying either a Panerai or Cartier but unsure whether to go for a basic quartz movement of perhaps a 21j auto movement would appreciate your views.

Daywatch

For the Panerai go with a handwound 6497-2, for the Cartier quartz if it´s got no seconds hand, otherwise the 21j.

Be aware that the 21j reps often (not always) are a lower tier (other/different product) than the ones with asian ETA, same for the quartz.

Other than the 21j being lowbeat and sometimes loud (rotor) and giving a "cheaper" feel on the wrist they are fine.

Edited by Daywatch

leebob

Rightly or wrongly I have always considered a quartz to be a lesser watch than a automatic version , I have a 21j dssd and I do agree the rotor is loud. my 21j pp complication has clear case back and it looks fantastic but also loud . Am I right to think bph is wear it's at? I would love to see a high beat rep in the flesh,

tomtom1988

Bph is beats per hour 21,600 on most 21js or the eta 2836 is 28,800 same as most gens. You'll see a difference for sure

onionbag

There's a quartz Panerai on offer from our TD's?

JohnG, where's your quartz Sub thread?

Pihlippe

You will hardly have a Panerai with quartz movement, but everything depends on how much bucks you want to add in a watch and model.

Some quartz models also use the same housing as the high grade models ....

Here is a great Pam for you :)