Sign in to follow this  
laxnate

DSSD Losing Time

laxnate

Bought a DSSD from a RWG trusted dealer in November. It is my first rep and I absolutely love it but I noticed almost immediately that it was losing time. At first I just chalked this up to the tradeoff of having an automatic watch but now I'm starting to question that assumption. At first it wasn't losing too much time but now its losing about 2 minutes a week. Is this normal? I sent a PM to the dealer a few months ago but didn't receive a reply (I guess to be fair it was during the holiday crush of Dec).

Is this something I just need to get used to? Can the issue be addressed with a service? Is this the result of a faulty movement? As a noob I'd love some advice here. The movement is an Asian 21J.

Thanks!

Tristan123
Bought a DSSD from a RWG trusted dealer in November. It is my first rep and I absolutely love it but I noticed almost immediately that it was losing time. At first I just chalked this up to the tradeoff of having an automatic watch but now I'm starting to question that assumption. At first it wasn't losing too much time but now its losing about 2 minutes a week. Is this normal? I sent a PM to the dealer a few months ago but didn't receive a reply (I guess to be fair it was during the holiday crush of Dec).

Is this something I just need to get used to? Can the issue be addressed with a service? Is this the result of a faulty movement? As a noob I'd love some advice here. The movement is an Asian 21J.

Thanks!

I wouldnt be bothered with only 2 minutes a week!!!!!

the time can be adjusted if you were to open the back up, but it is tricky if you dont know what you are doing, and for such a small loss i personally would put up with it.

a 21j movement is so cheap to buy i would say it isnt worth getting serviced, it would be cheaper to send away and get a new movement fitted if it becomes troublesome

just enjoy the atch for what it is, and adjust once a week

its not a genuine at the end of the day,

T9000

What Tristan said.

2 mins per week isn't bad, or unusual. I've read posts in which some watches are losing that in a day...

MikeMcNair

gens even lose/gain time, nothigns perfect.

but you can adjust it if you open it up, you will see a little screw with a "needle" pointing to "+5-5" usually. i am not sure how you would get it perfect without a timing machine, but it's possible.

barkingtoad

2 mins a week is well within tolerance

greg_r

Thanks!

Two minutes a week? With a 21J?

That's EXCELLENT timekeeping from an inexpensive automatic watch. Even COSC certification allows for a deviation of several seconds per day. If you need more accurate than that, your only option is quartz.

Del

Wot greg said :D. I have a 21j watch that gains 2 minutes a day so count your lucky stars mate :lol:.

KeNnY

DAmn, How I would want 2 minutes a week loosing time on my DSSD :D my looses that every day - 2 minutes. So I have to regulate it... that is normal, and be happy how accurate your watch is.. look at this, there is 86400 seconds in 1 day, that means there is 604800 seconds in one week, and you watch is off only for 120 seconds.. That is only 0,019% off total seconds ! I would not be surprised, when summer will be , and your watch will be accurate to 1 second per week :lol:

SliceMaster

OK mate in one week there are 10.080 minutes right (7 days X 24 hours X 60 min = 10.080 min)

So your watch looses 2 out of 10.080 minutes!? :cry:

that is one very good watch you´ve got there mate!! :lol:

If you dont like that sell it to me! :rofl:

MikeMcNair

funny thing is, my DSSD hasn't lost any time AT ALL since i put it on my wrist. its still EXATLY in sync with my phone (which is what i used to set it)

i guess i am one of the lucky ones. :lol:

laxnate

OK, thanks everyone for the reassurance and I apologize for my ignorance. Still have a lot to learn obviously! Will keep wearing the DSSD happily and just reset once a week. Cheers!

Slim

It's not great timekeeping for a mechanical watch generally but I think it's one of those compromises you make when you buy a replica.

jcglobal

I would trade mine for yous in a heartbeat. Don't open it to adjust it. I did and a wire became uraveled and little gears flew out. Now I have a parts watch. I would have been happy with 2 minutes a day!!!!!

I

Ska
It's not great timekeeping for a mechanical watch generally but I think it's one of those compromises you make when you buy a replica.

Um you're kidding right???

2 minutes variance per WEEK for a 21J is frankly staggering.

For a completely mechanical device, smaller than a milk bottle top with about 50 moving parts powered by no more than a spring, which hasn't been machine regulated and was assembled by people paid peanuts to be shipped halfway across the planet and arrive keeping time with a discrepancy of a tenth of one percent over a week is in fact almost miraculous.

When you consider that the movement by itself is probably worth $20........

Those are some seriously high expectations mate.

Slim

Um you're kidding right???

No.

2 minutes variance per WEEK for a 21J is frankly staggering.

But for a mechanical watch in general, which is what I actually said - it's not great timekeeping.

For a completely mechanical device, smaller than a milk bottle top with about 50 moving parts powered by no more than a spring, which hasn't been machine regulated and was assembled by people paid peanuts to be shipped halfway across the planet and arrive keeping time with a discrepancy of a tenth of one percent over a week is in fact almost miraculous.

When you consider that the movement by itself is probably worth $20........

Those are some seriously high expectations mate.

That's why I said that "it's one of those compromises you make when you buy a replica". They aren't my expectations.

stiltzkin

COSC allows for -4/+6 per day and not all watches that come out of Switzerland are certified - i believe it is less than 10%.

So say you do spunk $$$$ on a gen, over a year you are potentially going to gain over 35 minutes and still be within certification limits. Is it great timekeeping? Not really, but then it's not an atomic clock. It is however a beautiful piece of engineering (even the 21J). I can't help but be amazed when i look at my wrist and think that there are nearly 100 individual components, ticking, spinning, whirring and winding with the one common goal of telling me the time.

LCheapo

I'd cautiously adjust it. Instructions on how to do that (and which lever not to touch) are all over the place. If you are not going to wear it regularly it might not be worth the hassle though.

d1isthe1

My dssd(asian 21J) looses 30 seconds a day (24hr) but surprisingly it gains some too as the time in my laptop and the watch is still the same .... now i'm waiting for my other dssd from BK which is currently in transit and has a swiss ETA ... lets see how it turns out to be...