Sign in to follow this  
AlexFelix

DeepSea stopped moving

AlexFelix

Hello everyone,

I have a 2015 Seadweller DeepSea that worked perfectly for over a year.

Since it was the only watch I wear when I work, sadly some days ago it felt on the floor as a screw of the bracelet come loose. Now seem like the movement is sort of "seized".

To be more precise the second hand try to work if I move the watch but the minute and hour does not work at all. Even if I rotate the crown, it need a lot of effort to move and stuck at some point, so I can't go clockwise or counterclockwise.

I don't know what movement is in, but can someone try to guess what is the problem as I can decide if it may worth a repair? Maybe someone other had a similare problem?

Thanks,

Alex

Edited by AlexFelix

ElvisFreak

welcome to the world of replicas.... :sad:

like my old Pa uzed to say: yu gite for you pay fer!

AlexFelix

Mmm I think I don't correctly understand what your Pa mean :D

But maybe I had to tell that I easily find replicas ""imported"" near where I live :) That's the reason why I'm asking, because if it could be a matter of some couple of bucks I can think about a repair or I can simply replace it with a new one :)

GenTLe

Do you really think that a gen would behave differently if it fell down on the floor?

AlexFelix

Do you really think that a gen would behave differently if it fell down on the floor?

Honestly? I hope yes. I have one (a genuine Seadweller), but never tried this "experience" luckily. Of course I hope that a 50cm falling does not cause all those trouble to a gen Rolex.

markeym3

Have to agree ,,, gens are not bullet proof ..

AlexFelix

I honestly don't know what to think. I hope that a 50cm falling does not cause all those problem to a gen Rolex. Mine (the replica) felt from an height like a common chair, nothing more. I was on the sofa ad it simply felt off.

GenTLe

I honestly don't know what to think. I hope that a 50cm falling does not cause all those problem to a gen Rolex. Mine (the replica) felt from an height like a common chair, nothing more. I was on the sofa ad it simply felt off.

It will. Not for sure but the probability is really high. It is not that the movements inside out reps are so much different from the ones in gen (and the more complications the more at risk they are). The gens may be finished better in the details, but they have tiny delicate parts like any other mechanical watch. Only the unitas have quite large pinions that require quite an effort to be damaged.

markeym3

It will. Not for sure but the probability is really high. It is not that the movements inside out reps are so much different from the ones in gen (and the more complications the more at risk they are). The gens may be finished better in the details, but they have tiny delicate parts like any other mechanical watch. Only the unitas have quite large pinions that require quite an effort to be damaged.

I suppose this is one of the things about gen's, nothing wrong at all in having one but you do have to be more aware , with a rep if you do have a problem , although a bummer its not so many £££'s to repair compared to the gen ..

AlexFelix

Mmm I have to agree on this. And this said I think it automatically tell me that the repair dos not worth the watch.

markeym3

Mmm I have to agree on this. And this said I think it automatically tell me that the repair dos not worth the watch.

what movement is in the watch ? if you like the watch it maybe worth repairing it ..

sorry just re read the post ,, if its a 21j this is only around £30 for a movement ,if that .. and a few tools and you can change it ..

Edited by markeym3

AlexFelix

I suppose this is one of the things about gen's, nothing wrong at all in having one but you do have to be more aware , with a rep if you do have a problem , although a bummer its not so many £££'s to repair compared to the gen ..

I agree. I can easily find one "imported" where I live for like 150€. They are the same on quality as the other sold by TD. I have compared some of them. Of course there's always better stuff, like TC. I hope to find one someday.

Edited by AlexFelix

AlexFelix

what movement is in the watch ? if you like the watch it maybe worth repairing it ..

sorry just re read the post ,, if its a 21j this is only around £30 for a movement ,

I honestly don't know. I don't know how to open this, nor I have the tools to do. I know that seem strange but the guy that import them from China usually replace me the watch if I have some problem but that is 1 year old

onionbag

It's always a sore one when you do something like this. The good thing is it's a rep you're dealing with and not a gen, you'd most likely have the same outcome and the expense associated with protecting your asset.

If it's an expensive rep, try a local watchmaker and have a gen movement dropped in to suit your budget, if not, chalk it up to experience.

Good luck. :)

AlexFelix

It's always a sore one when you do something like this. The good thing is it's a rep you're dealing with and not a gen, you'd most likely have the same outcome and the expense associated with protecting your asset.

If it's an expensive rep, try a local watchmaker and have a gen movement dropped in to suit your budget, if not, chalk it up to experience.

Good luck. :)

I tried a watchmaker but the strange "glare" he had to me looked like he did not want to put his hand on a "50 bucks watch" (his exact words). Maybe some non-pro repair guy can make me the work if is really a matter of 30 bucks for a decent movement. I really dig that watch becaus of its weight, I really "feel" it on my wrist when I'm working.

AlexFelix

Anyway guys as this is my first topic/post I'm really flattered about your friendly :)

onionbag

Try another watchmaker, explain that it's a rep you'd like them to look at, develop a relationship with a few and you will generally find someone to help. The simple answer is this, if you can't fix it yourself, you will have to pay someone to do it for you.

There are people here who have great skills, but they will need more info than you've supplied, movement etc.

AlexFelix

That could be a way to do for sure.

Just to look on the bright side, if nobody want to repair me I can use it to learn how to do by my self

krag90

Could be the balance has slipped out of place, thats what incablocs are for. Try lifting out a stone int the incabloc -setting and reallocate the balance.

AlexFelix

Could be the balance has slipped out of place, thats what incablocs are for. Try lifting out a stone int the incabloc -setting and reallocate the balance.

Could you tell me how to open the case?

Left Coast Guy

1) Dropping a gen will have much the same effect as you experienced with your replica. Maybe the likelihood of catastrophic failure will be lower, but you'll likely be facing a hefty repair bill. And gen repairs are a racket....they know you spent $8-10K, so they will rake you on the repair costs.

2) Finding a rep-friendly watchsmith is rough.....you have to get a lot of those nasty glares before you find someone that will work on your rep. I still giggle when I walk by the empty store front of the watchsmith who treated me like shit and turned me away when I asked for a repair....he since went out of business.....oh the shame...

krag90

TRANSPORTER

I've never known a balance to slip out of place, that's happened then he has snapped a pivot on the balance staff and will require it to be replaced, he won't be able to do that on his own without a staking set ( trust me they cost a small fortune) and then the experience of working on and around hairsprings. Lifting a jewel from an incabloc again is a thankless task without practice and a good supply of correct sized jewels to replace the one that pings off into never never land never to be found again.

Try getting a relationship up with a watchsmith to see if any will repair it, but from what you are saying about " it takes force to turn the hands and now they are stuck " tells me it's possibly pretty damaged inside, from a snapped part ( likely a pivot ) jamming the setting works to a multitude of other faults within the movement.

If you can get another rep like you say you can then just get your man to get you another one, if you want to keep yours to practice on go ahead but start getting ready to pay out for tools that you might only use once and only once when you inevitably cock up the movement ( as hundreds of us have in the past learning ).

Bottom line is use your man to get another one for you, take up repairs yourself if you want to give it a go it's very rewarding but will take up a lot of your time ( I know it does mine) but it's very rewarding like I said if it goes well, PM me if you want I might be interested in taking it off your hands for a project I have in the wings if you want.

AlexFelix

1) Dropping a gen will have much the same effect as you experienced with your replica. Maybe the likelihood of catastrophic failure will be lower, but you'll likely be facing a hefty repair bill. And gen repairs are a racket....they know you spent $8-10K, so they will rake you on the repair costs.

2) Finding a rep-friendly watchsmith is rough.....you have to get a lot of those nasty glares before you find someone that will work on your rep. I still giggle when I walk by the empty store front of the watchsmith who treated me like shit and turned me away when I asked for a repair....he since went out of business.....oh the shame...

You're right. I had my gen Seadweller serviced regularly and always seen people complain about how much they spend on repair.

My dad was once ripped off from an "authorized" Rolex dealer. He's a collector and wanted to add a strap to a gen Daytona steel/gold (116503 if I'm correct) and the shop ripped him off about 300usd from original price.

After a couple of year they lost their "authorized delar" title and then closed. Another shop told him the correct price of the strap last year..

Edit: Reference is 16523, just asked.

Edited by AlexFelix

AlexFelix

I've never known a balance to slip out of place, that's happened then he has snapped a pivot on the balance staff and will require it to be replaced, he won't be able to do that on his own without a staking set ( trust me they cost a small fortune) and then the experience of working on and around hairsprings. Lifting a jewel from an incabloc again is a thankless task without practice and a good supply of correct sized jewels to replace the one that pings off into never never land never to be found again.

Try getting a relationship up with a watchsmith to see if any will repair it, but from what you are saying about " it takes force to turn the hands and now they are stuck " tells me it's possibly pretty damaged inside, from a snapped part ( likely a pivot ) jamming the setting works to a multitude of other faults within the movement.

If you can get another rep like you say you can then just get your man to get you another one, if you want to keep yours to practice on go ahead but start getting ready to pay out for tools that you might only use once and only once when you inevitably cock up the movement ( as hundreds of us have in the past learning ).

Bottom line is use your man to get another one for you, take up repairs yourself if you want to give it a go it's very rewarding but will take up a lot of your time ( I know it does mine) but it's very rewarding like I said if it goes well, PM me if you want I might be interested in taking it off your hands for a project I have in the wings if you want.

Honestly, I don't have any knowledge on how to do that. Maybe my "how can I open the case?" was a clue :D I'm simply a watch lover, as everyone here :)

Anyway, you mean that you could buy my damaged Deepsea for a project? I didn't mind that even a damaged rep could be sold!