Sign in to follow this  
E-Dub

Transaction Q?

E-Dub

Okay, so I've decided I want a DSSD. Robert's (PWC) look good.

~$250 to spend.

2836 Clone DSSD = $249 sounds good, but I'm greedy. For $149 = A21J DSSD then I can also get the $99 milgauss!!!

So is the lower BPM of the A21J a major tell? I watched some youtube videos of an A21J and a 28800 BPM side by side comparison and it was noticable, but probably not in "the wild" right? Or can a "trained eye" tell the difference between 21K and 28K BPM?

So opinions: 2836 DSSD for $249 or A21J DSSD + Milgauss for $248?

Also Transactions with Robert, do I need to email the address in the online processing sticky to set something up before submitting the order? Or just submit through the online order form and wait for instructions? Is this just an online credit card payment just like ordering anything else online where you give CC info or is it a service like paypal where you set up an "account"? I haven't seen any issues posted about its security so I'm guessing it can be used with confidence?

Thanks Gents. Love the forum.

E-Dub

djprone

A 21j watch will have a more jerky movement than the 2836 clone. If you're trying to pass the reps off as gens it will be a sure tell, especially with something as recognisible as a rolex. I have a few 21j watches, but i tell everyone mine a reps so it doesn't bother me.

Del

I recently bought the 21j version from Robert - check out my review here.

The slightly higher beat is more desirable but obviously at a cost. For me the 21j was enough but it really is up to individual preference. You can't see the difference from more than half a metre so it depends who you want to impress :lol:.

KBH

A trained eye can certainly tell the difference, although 99% of the world couldn't tell or wouldn't care. I personally don't have any interest in 21j watches any more but for everyone that says they suck, there will be someone else that loves them. It's all up to what you decide you like.

Cynikal.Mindset

The Rolex rep at Kirk Freeport in Cayman had to do a double take on my $88 DSSD even after I told him it was fake

Member X

I think KBH covers my thoughts lol

I prefer the high-beat sweep, it's just so preeeedy :):lol:

E-Dub

Yeah, I saw the comparison on youtube and side by side you could definitely tell.

@ Del: I did see the $149 review, that's what put me onto this version vs. the $249.

In my profession, I'm in front of ~20 people a day. A LOT of them wear gen (or what I assume to be gen) Rollies. I'm not looking to fool them, and if they ask I'd tell them it was rep, but I'd rather have them think it was gen and avoid the question. From normal conversational distances, without handling the watch, would it be possible to tell 21K vs 28K bpm?

@KBH: why no interest in 21J? Asian Clone OK or just pure ETA for you? Tell me why the suck, reliability? (new to all this and have read on it but just interested in an opinion of someone that cared to respond).

Also, any insigt on the transaction? Just use the form and click "online payment" and wait, or do I have to do something first? I've read (although he seems to be on the boards and helpful) that you want to get things "right" when dealing with Robert, so just asking before I deal with him.

EW

greg_r

From more than a foot away - i.e. if it's on someone else's wrist - it's almost impossible to spot the lower beat of a 21J. Just sayin' :lol:

MikeMcNair

i have never owned a 21j that i liked. the 2836 is so buttery smooth, i find myself starring at it.

just my 2 cents.

Tristan123

i have 2 21j watches now and one of them is a DSSD

if i was to buy again i would go for the 28,000

whats the rush ??

get the second watch next time,,

DarkGlass

I went for the 21 j DSSD based upon Del's review. You pays your money and makes your choice. In my limited experience there are not that many experts out there. I have a 21 j black Seamaster and my son has an Asian 2836 Milgaus. I'm fucked if I can tell the difference 'cept side by side. .

With regards to Robert, its easy fill the form in and wait for instructions. Hassle free as quick as lightening.

Personally I'd go the cheaper route and get the two, but its your choice !

KBH

I've got 4 or 5 21j watch movements on my desk that are either broken or just don't run properly. Either too jerky or unable to properly time them, or just plain dead. They are cheap and easy to replace but at his point in my collecting, I only want to buy watches that I hopefully will keep for a while and I'd rather have one that can be serviced and I know it will be good for another 5 years.

Also, I consider the Asian clone to be a fine movement, particularly the Selllita SW200.

I'm out of the "cheap' rep business after buying and passing on probably 20 or more. And I'm tired of taking apart the cheapies and replacing the movements. It was fun for a while but lately it's been loosing it's allure.

Luto

I had a 21j Pan - kept time very well but the movement was nothing special - someone taking a close look at the watch for a good few seconds would probably tell the movement.

I've ordered Roberts 2836 DSSD. Just waiting for it to arrive (any day now hopefully) and I'l let you know my thoughts on it.

Edited by Luto

Del
Yeah, I saw the comparison on youtube and side by side you could definitely tell.

@ Del: I did see the $149 review, that's what put me onto this version vs. the $249.

In my profession, I'm in front of ~20 people a day. A LOT of them wear gen (or what I assume to be gen) Rollies. I'm not looking to fool them, and if they ask I'd tell them it was rep, but I'd rather have them think it was gen and avoid the question. From normal conversational distances, without handling the watch, would it be possible to tell 21K vs 28K bpm?

@KBH: why no interest in 21J? Asian Clone OK or just pure ETA for you? Tell me why the suck, reliability? (new to all this and have read on it but just interested in an opinion of someone that cared to respond).

Also, any insigt on the transaction? Just use the form and click "online payment" and wait, or do I have to do something first? I've read (although he seems to be on the boards and helpful) that you want to get things "right" when dealing with Robert, so just asking before I deal with him.

EW

Glad you saw my review :D.

From what you've written, I reckon that you'd prefer the Asian clone movement. Don't get me wrong, the 21j is superb and looks fantastic but if you're already concerned about people asking if your DSSD is a gen then best go for the top rep model to begin with. All imho of course ;).

As for the ordering process, Robert's is as easy as it gets. Place the order then follow the instructions that he emails you :wub:.

E-Dub

Ok, not worried about Gen vs. Rep question, as I'd be honest, but I'd rather have to tell someone its a rep than have them point out that its a "fake".

In any case, I'm going to go for the clone.

Placing order and will post again when it arrives.

Luthier

Good choice.

Mazz

To your question about the CC processor Alert Pay is like Pay Pal in that you need to set up an account. But its fairly easy

Member X
Also, I consider the Asian clone to be a fine movement, particularly the Selllita SW200.

Just for clarity for any noobs reading this, the Sellita SW200 is a swiss only movement - it has not been repped, therefore you will definitely get a swiss SW200 if you order one! :lmao2:

greg_r

Just for clarity for any noobs reading this, the Sellita SW200 is a swiss only movement - it has not been repped, therefore you will definitely get a swiss SW200 if you order one! :lol:

Sorry X, but apparently it has indeed been repped... How well, I dunno.

trailboss99

Just for clarity for any noobs reading this, the Sellita SW200 is a swiss only movement - it has not been repped, therefore you will definitely get a swiss SW200 if you order one! :lol:

Sorry X, but apparently it has indeed been repped... How well, I dunno.

He's right for Robert has had some. The Chinese got the Copy Monkey (kinda like a trunk monkey with a drafting table and a pair of verniers) going double quick time and there is now a clone (or copy, not sure which as yet) of the SW200 out there. I hope to get my hands on one soon and we shall take a close look at one compared to a gen SW200.

Col

Member X

Bugger...

Damn these chinese, they're too efficient!! :lol:

E-Dub

Ok, last question here about procedures ordering from Robert.

I ordered on the 15th, paid on the 16th. I sent a confirmation email like his instructions said and I haven't heard anything else.

Is that SOP? I paid for faster shipping, should I have gotten a tracking number?

I know Robert has a great reputation for being a fast shipper, so I'm inclined to just give it 2 weeks unless you all tell me that I should have received a confirmation of order or a tracking number.

E-Dub

greg_r
Ok, last question here about procedures ordering from Robert.

I ordered on the 15th, paid on the 16th. I sent a confirmation email like his instructions said and I haven't heard anything else.

Is that SOP? I paid for faster shipping, should I have gotten a tracking number?

I know Robert has a great reputation for being a fast shipper, so I'm inclined to just give it 2 weeks unless you all tell me that I should have received a confirmation of order or a tracking number.

E-Dub

Not unusual at all. My guess is that the watch is already on the way and you'll have it some time next week :D

E-Dub

Yeah, I saw on the tracking thread a quote like, "Now if we could only get Robert to give us tracking numbers".

At the prospect of it arriving next week: Giggity!

Member X

Packages from Robert invariably arrive before you expect them! :D