Sign in to follow this  
SubFrog

Kobold

SubFrog

So, a buddy of mine is down on his luck right now. He's what we call the gadget guy...always has something you need...and even things you don't need.

He just sold his Jeep and is looking to unload a Gen Omega PO and a Kobold, Spirit of America.

I have enough Omegas...and I'm thinking of scooping up this Kobold. Yea, it's not the typical watch you'd find on this forum or from the dealers, but I think it's pretty cool. He paid 2k for the watch a few years back and wants $750 for it. Just because I like it, he let me wear it for a few days to check it out. It's heavy...it's clean...pretty nice. Price is right; according to the website a new one is about $3,350.

These were once made in Switzerland, but I'm pretty sure this is US.

US Made

Titanium, brushed

44mm bezel - 48mm overall

Swiss made Unitas 6497

Manual

Help me decide...should I pull the trigger?

soa_man.png

http://www.koboldwatch.com/products/spirit-america-p-75.html

Tristan123

errrr yes!!!! i would

Edited by Tristan123

KBH

I'm a little put off by a supposed $3,350 watch that has a $130 movement in it. But, it's not bad looking.

What's the point of the movable bezel?

Luthier

NO.

E-Dub

Kobold Watch Company is a pretty cool story, read online about how Mike dropped out of CMU to make watches. Made in Pittsburgh, PA. I bought an artic diver for a friend of mine that is an attorney and did a bunch of pro-bono work for me. It took forever to get (months) and at the time I lived 15 min from their HQ. I held onto it for a few days and even wore it for an hour or two before I gifted it to him. The artic diver is heavier than any other watch I've ever worn. All of the machining was impeccable. Great presence and attention grabbing for how "plain" it is.

Not that it matters but these are VERY popular with NFL players right now and also they were given out as gifts by one of the Soprano's cast.

$750 is a steal. Seriously. Its a gen boutique watch. Not a huge name, won't see it repped or on this forum, but that's part of the appeal, IMO. Just too bad it's not the Burton Morris piece.

EW

E-Dub

So what did you decide? If no, is he going to sell this elsewhere?

SubFrog

Sadly, this whole thread was null as the guy decided to keep it. He had a client come in with wad of cash on Tuesday, so I guess he felt as if he didn't need to let go of the watch.

I wore it for a few days...great watch. Much better looking in real life...and great soft leather strap.

Too bad. But, thanks for the responses.

Baldrick

If it comes up again, snap it up, Kobold are great timepieces, pity it shelved :)

Blackadder

750 is a great price for it... if it almost went this time, there'll probably be another time not to far away... have patience...

I bought this same watch when it was first released, I might have paid 12 or 15 hundred for it... It lasted about a week on my wrist, and although it's a nice watch, it just didn't do it for 'me'... and the 'Spirit of America'on the dial, although a nice sentiment, was a bit over the top, even for me, being American

Good luck on your wait!

SubFrog

No doubt! This dude goes in and out of slumps all the time. Who knows what he'll try to hock next...and I can see the Kobold coming up for sale in a month or two. Problem is, I need to stop thinking about it and just ninja up while he's wallowing in his desperation! Ha ha!

Real friends...what are they for? :beer2:

Baldrick

They're for buying up all your good stuff, when your world is crashing :beer2: