Sign in to follow this  
Nugget001

Asian 7750 not working

Nugget001

Hi Gang

My Tag Heuer Carerra 1887 with the Asian 7750 movement has stopped working. Bought this from Toro

Here's the link: http://www.toro888.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=76_116_165&product_id=1794

I've only worn the watch once & it's been sitting in my watch box for a couple of weeks

Got it out to wear this morning, changed the date & set the time with no issues but since then it's just stopped. Time won't change & the chrono won't start either

I've tried winding, wearing it & a gentle tap but nothing

Have emailed Toro but of course would rather be able to fix it first before sending back to China

Any ideas?

Thanks

BadPickle

Pics? Take the back off and check to see if there's anything obvious like a screw or movement tab stuck in the mechanism...

Nugget001
Pics? Take the back off and check to see if there's anything obvious like a screw or movement tab stuck in the mechanism...

Thanks PB will do & post some pics of what I find

Guessing I need to take the rotor off to see into the guts of it. Hope I don't f&@k it lol

BadPickle

Try pics with the rotor still on first, just post a few in different positions, no point getting all gung-ho just yet. Softly softly catchy monkey ;)

BadPickle

Give it a shake too, you may hear a "rattler"

Nugget001

Thanks mate

Nothing rattling just the rotor spinning

Few pics of the movement, can't see anything loose

8C6042E4-5BAB-473D-8F74-20083382BA1F_zpsi1unnhfv.jpg

AF5D7B12-65FE-4B76-9975-6D4A0283FDD9_zpss2urpdck.jpg

010C26A9-A1AE-4FB5-A4FC-5D53491927F1_zpscdzf6r4w.jpg

54116B9C-80CC-4D5F-B2DF-94B67B7B3E11_zpsuo7eerdr.jpg

BadPickle

Nothing obvious, take the back off for a closer look

ROLIE

Thanks mate

Nothing rattling just the rotor spinning

Few pics of the movement, can't see anything loose

8C6042E4-5BAB-473D-8F74-20083382BA1F_zpsi1unnhfv.jpg

AF5D7B12-65FE-4B76-9975-6D4A0283FDD9_zpss2urpdck.jpg

010C26A9-A1AE-4FB5-A4FC-5D53491927F1_zpscdzf6r4w.jpg

54116B9C-80CC-4D5F-B2DF-94B67B7B3E11_zpsuo7eerdr.jpg

stop and reset the chrono first as I can see the hammer arm in the pic

ROLIE

20160425_180639_zpscsxibf5f.jpg

In the pic where a hand is pointing to is the hammer 2 functions which when is activated will allow the oscillating pinion to tilt , if its tight or jammed will stop your watch so try and reset the chrono first

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

GenTLe

Just to integrate something to what Rolie wrote (which is absolutely correct): OP look here, this is the regulation of the tilting pinion

25h2vm1.jpg

When the 2 gears 37 and 39 are too pressed one against the other, when you start the chrono the watch simply stops.

You regulate this acting on the screw 34-1 (which I think it is covered by the fake Seiko column wheel chrono plate)

So as Rolie wrote, 1st thing is to press the chrono stop pusher, then the chrono reset pusher, and see if it starts.

You can help a bit it to start by rotating the watch horizontally (face up, rotate it -keeping it face up- 90 degrees clockwise, then 90 degrees counterclockwise) to make the balance to start spinning.

ns1515

i ordered a Omega- A 775 from a TD yesterday and they asked me to choose a different watch. they were having problems with that movement in the Omega.

GenTLe

i ordered a Omega- A 775 from a TD yesterday and they asked me to choose a different watch. they were having problems with that movement in the Omega.

That's a different watch. 7750 are around from years and currently they are quite reliable in my view. Some particular one may need better regulation but that's another story.

ns1515

noted thank you. learning something on this forum everyday.

rusty peters

I would not fear the A7750 movement. You just have to be willing to walk away from the watch when it poops itself.

dmmoroney

I read that the 7750 has come a long way and that is more reliable than it was a couple of years back. Any truth to this in anyone's experience?

Also, I have a watch with a 7750 on the way. Should I send it in for a look over when I get it?

JSJ

I read that the 7750 has come a long way and that is more reliable than it was a couple of years back. Any truth to this in anyone's experience?

Also, I have a watch with a 7750 on the way. Should I send it in for a look over when I get it?

I have a lot of them. Some have their moments but a lot of it is relatively simple to fix. I certainly would not shy away from the secs@9 standard ones. The secs@12 are a challenge. I've had good experience with the 3714 secs@6 module too but the Daytona secs@6 is a different issue. Totally different transfer module for the Daytona secs@6.

I just read the above statements and realised I was talking in weird language. If that is all foreign to you, then a bit of reading will work well. In the meantime, stick with the standard 7750 with running seconds at 9 o'clock and you will be relatively safe - or at least as safe as with any other rep.

Good luck with your new purchase. Let us know what it is and we can scare you with tales of doom.

dmmoroney

I have a lot of them. Some have their moments but a lot of it is relatively simple to fix. I certainly would not shy away from the secs@9 standard ones. The secs@12 are a challenge. I've had good experience with the 3714 secs@6 module too but the Daytona secs@6 is a different issue. Totally different transfer module for the Daytona secs@6.

I just read the above statements and realised I was talking in weird language. If that is all foreign to you, then a bit of reading will work well. In the meantime, stick with the standard 7750 with running seconds at 9 o'clock and you will be relatively safe - or at least as safe as with any other rep.

Good luck with your new purchase. Let us know what it is and we can scare you with tales of doom.

I steered away from this movement on my first purchase. I intended on getting an IWC Portuguese, but after researching the issues with the 7750 model on that watch I opted for the IWC Portofino. I love it, beautiful watch.

I ordered an IWC Spitifre with sec@6 this time. I got a great deal, too good to pass up. Steel Spitfire, with 2 IWC leathers straps (black & brown), box, papers, for $280 including shipping. I need the black strap because my dog chewed the one on my Portofino, LOL. So it worked out great.

I just hope the movement lasts a good long while in the Spitfire. Do you think it's a good idead to send it in for servicing right away to check for any issues pre-emptively?

Mr Stubbs

I steered away from this movement on my first purchase. I intended on getting an IWC Portuguese, but after researching the issues with the 7750 model on that watch I opted for the IWC Portofino. I love it, beautiful watch.

I ordered an IWC Spitifre with sec@6 this time. I got a great deal, too good to pass up. Steel Spitfire, with 2 IWC leathers straps (black & brown), box, papers, for $280 including shipping. I need the black strap because my dog chewed the one on my Portofino, LOL. So it worked out great.

I just hope the movement lasts a good long while in the Spitfire. Do you think it's a good idead to send it in for servicing right away to check for any issues pre-emptively?

Sending in for service pre-emptively may be more trouble than it's worth. Asian 7750 parts are notoriously hard to find. If one can do it themselves, servicing is a good idea. If one needs to send it out for service, then the next post will be "Who can service an a7750?" :lol:

JSJ

I wouldn't send it out anywhere. Just wear it and enjoy it. I have one and it's excellent.

I assume you have the new module so it should be fine.

dmmoroney

I wouldn't send it out anywhere. Just wear it and enjoy it. I have one and it's excellent.

I would hope it's the newest version. Guess there's no way of knowing though :fearlessleader:

tripo

It is BP 3878 version, and would be a great deal if it has, but I,am afraid not. So unfortunately it is old 7750 with sec@6 - timebomb :blowup:

JSJ

It is BP 3878 version, and would be a great deal if it has, but I,am afraid not. So unfortunately it is old 7750 with sec@6 - timebomb :blowup:

The old secs@6 module is not a timebomb in my experience. That is said by those who don't have them on the basis of the Daytona secs@6 which seems to be less reliable. Several times I have put a WTB up for broken secs@6 3714s because I can fix them. Nothing appears. I therefore assume there are not many about.

The big difference between the old and new modules is the old one has a stuttering secs@6 due to the slack in the gear train on the old ones.

dmmoroney

I literally never use the chrono feature buttons. I only use the crown to set the date/time ( which I only do when at 6 o'clock). I hope that by minimizing the usage the longer will have a longer shelf life.

GenTLe

I literally never use the chrono feature buttons. I only use the crown to set the date/time ( which I only do when at 6 o'clock). I hope that by minimizing the usage the longer will have a longer shelf life.

Things are not correlated.

The 7750 sec @ any place different than 9 means that they added gears to transfer the running second hand (which is the one that always moves, regardless pc the chrono is active or not) into another place on the dial.

I.e. at 3 for the Breitling blackbird, at 12 for the AP chrono, at 6 for certain IWC and the Daytona.

The latest movements used by SWF and ZF IWCs reduced these gears from 5 to 3 and now they all run over jewels (while before one wasn't) so they are ok. The older were stressing too much the movement and when a bit of debris (due to not jeweled gear) was accumulated they started to run bad or eventually stop. Also the 5 gears made the hand to move not in a fluid way.