Sign in to follow this  
JVK

Upgrading JLC Master Tourbillonº

JVK

Hi guys,

As you may know, I recently acquired a JLC M. Tourbillon in SS from Mary. The watch per se is just sensational, but as with most reps with real tourbillons, it's not really close to the gen.

Today I had an idea and performed a search at WatchEden. I found THIS (not going to post images of it as it's not a trusted dealer).

The dial on that piece is practically identical to that of the gen...

jaeger-lecoultre_master_grand_tourbillon.jpg

My question is: If I bought the cheapie from WE (or ask Mary to source it somehow)... do you think it'd be possible to take off the dial and install it on the Tourby? I'm a little concerned about having to toy around with the movement as it's a very delicate one, so I was thinking of asking a qualified watchsmith to do it.

I'd really appreciate your input on this matter.

Thanks in advance :lol:

Baldrick

Can you post photos of the JLC you got from Mary?

FreezerBurn

Yeah sorry about falling through on the pics of my watch, been busy lately. Still yeah, if you could post some pics of what you got maybe we can better understand what you're trying to do.

JVK

Sorry guys, no quality pictures... still waiting on my light tent to arrive.

I got the same watch as Skathewatch (Review HERE)

The only difference is that mine doesn't have the silver arc on top of the tourby (the one with an arrow-like edge that would work as seconds hand)

SKATHEWATCH'S

tempDSC_1747.jpg

MINE

img2143i.jpg

I also assume that if the dial was changed, I would end up with a non-working GMT hand... I'm not overly concerned about it, though.

Akira

You'll have to change to movement as well.

Othwise there is no chance to have your subdial hand moving.

You have to check the dial diameter as well.

Moreover it's possible that the cheapie dial is noticable less quality than yours.

You could end up dissappointed.

I would bother, nobody knowes the gen. Nobody can tell a difference.

Just let that gorgeous watch how it is....

dano

^^^100% Agree :)

rychastings

I say just leave it as it is, I actually prefer the more plain and more elegant design of the rep to the gen ironically.

Enjoy it and wear it in good health :)

Member X

+1

I prefer the rep too! lol

And if a JLC WIS asks you about it you can just say it was a gift, or that you had a one-off made up :)

greg_r

JVK: just a quick look at the cheapie and your tourby suggests to me that the cheapie dial wouldn't fit due to a: the subdial at 12 and b: the fact that the flying tourbillon is rather larger than the cutout for the balance wheel in the cheapie.

Leave well alone, mate.

JVK

Thanks for the input guys. Yeh, I better leave it as it is. :lol:

I just had an idea -- a crazy one at that. I don't need to pass it off as a real JLC because the vast majority of people in Argentina doesn't know crap about watches. They think a 18K Daytona with diamonds is the best watch ever brought into fruition ( :facepalm: ), and that a tourbillon is some type of fancy French wine. ;)

Akira
Thanks for the input guys. Yeh, I better leave it as it is. ;)

I just had an idea -- a crazy one at that. I don't need to pass it off as a real JLC because the vast majority of people in Argentina doesn't know crap about watches. They think a 18K Daytona with diamonds is the best watch ever brought into fruition ( :facepalm: ), and that a tourbillon is some type of fancy French wine. :rofl:

Good for you :lol:

The JLC Tourbi is one of the most appealing watches the replica scene has to offer IMO.

Just enjoy it :facepalm: