Sign in to follow this  
_DC_

THE DC NEWCOMER: First thoughts on the 5035j Annual Calendar

_DC_

Just a few quick thoughts on the newest member of the stable, the Patek Philippe Annual Calendar 5035 in yellow gold.

C2BC3BD9-3A25-4D61-B7BD-EE867A58999A_zpsxqosb4gj.jpg

I've always liked annual calendar complications, aside from their aesthetic appeal they are also fantastically useful, especially for me as I sign contracts on a daily basis so having the date readily to hand is real handy!

41D30D7A-C23D-4899-BD55-B8BAA33CB1EE_zpsa1y1em3c.jpg

As with a lot of these complicated Pateks one has to forgive the dial layout inaccuracies, with the subdial spacing here being the main issue, but everything that should be there is there. Best of all it all works, although the month has to be changed manually, but the date and day both tick over shortly after midnight!

C4D72E89-D861-44CD-9D87-503B1404BF9E_zpspytazcov.jpg

This is my first watch with a decorated movement. It's not something I look for, it does necessitate a thicker case, but in this instance it hasn't ruined the lines of the watch and is an attractive addition so I don't mind too much.

E82DB07E-22FD-40AD-B970-15CF488E2354_zps6zb4j4w2.jpg

Would I prefer a slimmer case and standard Miyota? Yes I would, but it's not an option so I am happy to make do!

410238EC-8F2F-4786-BFF1-EA838624E9DA_zpsx3itm8sx.jpg

Overall, I need to spend more time with it before a full DC review, but it's a very nice addition to the collection, a great complication, great size and very solid!

748CD75C-86D0-42D3-B4CE-C580C5D12211_zpsefceeyev.jpg

Camille Fournet strap incoming :thumbsup: so no wrist shot until then I'm afraid.

Specs as follows:

Case diameter: 39.5mm

Case thickness: 14mm (though it does wear thinner thanks to the case shape)

Lug width: 20mm

Let me know your thoughts!

DC

Phantomtech

That is definitely different to the standard Patek complication watch. The different subdial spacing makes for an emptier and less cluttered dial, may be even more appealing this way... Interesting choice to get the yellow gold one.

Overall it looks pretty high quality and am glad that more and more PP quality reps are being released!

Need to see a wrist shot to gage the size...

Robin195959

A good looking watch buddy if not entirely accurate. Who's gonna know? Enjoy.

_DC_

Sorry, updated with sizes!

As far as going for yellow gold, it's become my preference of the coloured golds, I just think rep rose gold is a rather unpleasant colour generally. I wear steel most days but I have many steel reps so I've been keen to expand the collection a bit. Also my love of the annual calendar has been fuelled in no small part by Michael DeSilva's YouTube videos of his yellow gold 5146 which is the more modern interpretation of this reference, so I was drawn to the yellow gold version for that reason (and have also ordered a chocolate brown strap to go with it for much the same reason)!

DC

Foxindebox

Nice to see a greater variety of Patek reps, but this one is not for me... (not that that matters a jot, because it's you who bought it and likes it :))

I personally don't like the indices, they dont look "right", too thin and not raised enough. I also think that the linen effect of the dial looks a bit cheap... sorry mate.

Still, opinions are like arseholes... everyone has one ;)

_DC_

^^^ Certainly the indices could do with being more raised, though that's pretty minor, I'm not over the moon about the dial finish either though I don't think it looks cheap it's just not correct for the reference. It's silver with linear brushing but should be a creamy colour and not brushed at all!

Far from perfect, I concede, for that reason it may not get a full DC review but we'll see how it feels on its new strap when it arrives!

DC

Foxindebox

Oh I agree, certainly only minor points. I'm not saying it's a bad watch, just not to my taste. Maybe "cheap" was too strong a word. It just doesn't look right on this watch to me.

Mate as I said, as long as you like it opinion matters little :)