A local watch maker here in Brisbane Aust

Del
A local watch maker here in Brisbane Aust

Not too handy for me then :picard2:.

Cheers :D

Del

***Update***

I just received the PAM288 back from TS this morning :lol:

However, this is not the same watch - it is a replacement and had all the protective coverings on the front, back and clasp, plus the strap is clearly unworn. Very good you may say.....well, maybe.....

The watch movement just doesn't feel as smooth as it should. The crown is very tight when hand winding, there is more resistance than normal when setting the time (almost like a vibration when you turn the crown) and, worst of all, the movement doesn't hack ;).

I'm going to check full operation and time keeping over the next 24 hours and report back. If it is ok then I can probably live without the hack function and perhaps I'll get it serviced some time in the future.

Anybody else have a PAM288 (or 7750 watch) that doesn't hack?

rkane

Received my 288 from TS a few weeks ago, like yours it's quite stiff to wind. However it Keeps excellent time, it's about 8 - 10 seconds a day fast. Chrono pusher at 2 is quite stiff to get it started but as I don't use chrono often, it doesnt bother me. Don't fully understand what hacking is or how to do it (something to do with resetting the second?) so i've not tried to do it.

Glen

Del
Received my 288 from TS a few weeks ago, like yours it's quite stiff to wind. However it Keeps excellent time, it's about 8 - 10 seconds a day fast. Chrono pusher at 2 is quite stiff to get it started but as I don't use chrono often, it doesnt bother me. Don't fully understand what hacking is or how to do it (something to do with resetting the second?) so i've not tried to do it.

Glen

Thanks Glen. Hack is when you pull the crown out to set the time then the second hand stops to enable accurate time setting. I'm sure the first PAM288 I send back for repair did this.

Could you check your's for me please? :lol:

rkane

Del, just checked it and the Secs @ 9 does indeed stop when you pull the crown out to alter the time.

Glen

Del
Del, just checked it and the Secs @ 9 does indeed stop when you pull the crown out to alter the time.

Glen

Thanks mate, thought so.

I just don't know if this is a big issue with mine or if it can be fixed with a service.......I need to find out!

Del

The fucking rotor spins some of the time when handwinding it too :frusty:

I'm getting rather fucked off with this bloody watch ;)

rkane
The fucking rotor spins some of the time when handwinding it too :frusty:

I'm getting rather fucked off with this bloody watch ;)

:frusty: Sounds like you've been unlucky, although from what I gather there have been quite a few quality issues recently on these.

Del
;) Sounds like you've been unlucky, although from what I gather there have been quite a few quality issues recently on these.

Twice, by the looks of it :frusty:

Del

Just to keep you all up to date, I've sent the PAM288 back to Timesshop again. I'm really hoping that it'll be third time lucky.... :)

samurai dave
Just to keep you all up to date, I've sent the PAM288 back to Timesshop again. I'm really hoping that it'll be third time lucky.... ;)

Best of luck mate. I am sure they will fix it as good as new. Dave.

midasmook

Del, are you sure you didn't buy a boomerang ? ;)

Ruhck

If the rotor spins while winding, you've got a problem with the reversing wheel - as mentioned in a previous post.

Del
Just to keep you all up to date, I've sent the PAM288 back to Timesshop again. I'm really hoping that it'll be third time lucky.... :)

Best of luck mate. I am sure they will fix it as good as new. Dave.

Hmmm, let's hope so......this time.

Del, are you sure you didn't buy a boomerang ? :facepalm:

:) If I don't laugh about this then I'm going to go mental :thud:;)

If the rotor spins while winding, you've got a problem with the reversing wheel - as mentioned in a previous post.

Yup, which is why I sent it back again ;). Too many faults with this movement to leave it as it was.

GC

That pisses me off...

See, this is the reason I stoped buying 7750movts... it's too damn hit or miss (at least from my 2 experiences)

Hope you get it all sorted Del because it's a stunner of a watch!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for ya mate.

Del
That pisses me off...

See, this is the reason I stoped buying 7750movts... it's too damn hit or miss (at least from my 2 experiences)

Hope you get it all sorted Del because it's a stunner of a watch!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for ya mate.

Thanks GC. I really love the watch so will persevere for now.

Thank goodness my Skyland v3 is working well! :)

mike666

Well this is just to add that I've had similar issues with my 288 from Lay. The watch stopped after leaving it on the table overnight and in the morning the rotor started spinning like crazy when I tried to set time and to screw in back the crown. I checked during the day and it kept excellent time and didn't stop but when I screw-in the crown (or try to wind it manually) sometimes the rotor starts spinning. Bloody hell!!! ;) I bought it in mid-Jan - my first rep!!!

Shall I contact Lay straight away or wait?

Del
Well this is just to add that I've had similar issues with my 288 from Lay. The watch stopped after leaving it on the table overnight and in the morning the rotor started spinning like crazy when I tried to set time and to screw in back the crown. I checked during the day and it kept excellent time and didn't stop but when I screw-in the crown (or try to wind it manually) sometimes the rotor starts spinning. Bloody hell!!! :lol: I bought it in mid-Jan - my first rep!!!

Shall I contact Lay straight away or wait?

Wait for what? The problem won't go away by itself.

I think the spinning rotor is a common problem with A7750s and may not be a big issue - many people live with it like that.

Wouldn't do any harm to contact Lay and see what he says though.

pfcdre

hi i have a pam gmt with 7750 had it about a week and noticed yesterday after initial fantastic time keeping that it lost half hour in fact it had stopped and yes i was wearing it i wonder wether the rotor on mine maybe stiff i gave it a little manual wind and am wearing it and has kept good time since strange

KBH

I find that 7750's need a lot of wrist movement to keep wound. When I wear one on a regular basis I usually give it a few winds every now and then or it will randomly stop. The main reason is that 7750's only actually wind while the rotor is moving in one direction. ETA's wind in both direction. That's why it's hard to keep 7750's running even on a winder.

mike666
I think the spinning rotor is a common problem with A7750s and may not be a big issue - many people live with it like that.

Wouldn't do any harm to contact Lay and see what he says though.

Yeah, at least it is keep good time and hasn't stopped since the last incident. One could live with it I guess, unless you accidentally turn the crown too fast and strip the wheels.

KBH: great stuff! Probably a mistake, but I cannot resist the temptation to fix it myself now. Hopefully everything goes fine. :)

Balad1

This is the main reason I'm satisfied with a cheaper movement on many of the reps that I purchase.

I don't need all the stop/start drama and be careful when you change the date bull shit...