Sign in to follow this  
MDK

Advice on dodgy movement

MDK

I got hold of a eta 2842 for my low AP diver beat project, after servicing the movement it is behaving quite erratically, the beat error is all over the place as is the amplitude.

It has been demagnetised, the hair Spring is not binding or tangled, if you look at the image below you can see the max, min and average values, it's all over the place

d0c7f97d417d8f60a9266ac40a71cd45.jpg

I did nothing different when servicing this movement as I did with a Swiss 2824-2 ( in my diver right now) and this looks pretty good, now I know a timegrapher app is never going to be perfect but it's a reasonable indicator

6bb4c1767013abc33e6c80c06d8fdb72.jpg

Any advice, I assume a bent pivot or damaged Jewel somewhere, parts for this movement are pretty thin on the ground as well

GenTLe

Uh... Did you test it before the service? If it was more or less working normally (with just signs of clean needed) it may be just some stupid micro pube.

I had similar stuff once: did again a full unassembly and clean and it was ok.

I am assuming the movement is still uncased and with no hands and dial.

TickleShoes

Had the same thing once. If it's not magnetism or the spring I'd start with the escapement. Check/clean the pallet fork jewels and balance jewels. I've gotten overzealous with oil and caused more problems than help. Cleaning out fixed it. You sure you got everything seated in the jewels in the first place ;)

TRANSPORTER

Yep id be stripping it down again and re cleaning etc etc, again have a real good look at the escapement, in fact every single piece will now need looking at under the loup to make sure it's spotless then try again mate.

MDK
Uh... Did you test it before the service? If it was more or less working normally (with just signs of clean needed) it may be just some stupid micro pube.

I had similar stuff once: did again a full unassembly and clean and it was ok.

I am assuming the movement is still uncased and with no hands and dial.

Yeah I tested it, it was just running fast, around 120 seconds, strip clean, rebuild, oil and demagnetise, will check for pubes