Sign in to follow this  
wombosi

Crown/stem doesn't go all the way in

wombosi

After doing a CP mod on my PAM 183, my crown/stem wouldn't get back in the casing completely. It had some resistance about 3mm from threads on the case.

(UPDATE: Found out what caused the initial problem. See next posts for a solution. Still need to know how to prevent this from happening though.)

After removing the dial I found out that the winding pinion (?) was sitting loose in the movement. See picture:

43b89e01.jpg

Sorry for the crappy quality. My camera is packed, so I had to take a picture with my phone. The question is:

1. How fix this? I know where the part belongs. But I guess just putting it back isn't enough, because then its still loose. Is there a trick to put the barrel a.k.a. castle wheel (?) in the right position so the winding pinion is fixed? Or should I completely reassemble this part of the movement?

2. How to prevent this from happening again?

Thanks a lot for your help!

wombosi

Afterall it was quite an easy fix. Will post it for anyones reference when the watch is back together.

wombosi

Ok. I promised to post the solution, so here it is:

43b89e01a.jpg

1. First you have to place the winding pinion where it belongs. Be sure to line up the teeth correctly with the castle wheel.

2. Then you have to trigger the mechanism which will put the castle wheel against the winding pinion.

That's it! Everything is working perfectly now.

I think putting the crown in the time setting position before removing it, is the key to prevent this from happening. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

FreezerBurn

Nice to know, Thanks for the report!

wombosi

Could someone who knows please confirm that putting the crown in time setting position before removing it will actually prevent this from happening?

wombosi
Could someone who knows please confirm that putting the crown in time setting position before removing it will actually prevent this from happening?

Nobody? :lmao2:

wombosi

After removing the movement from its case, the exact same thing happened again today. Although the winding pinion didn't come loose this time, I wasn't able to put the crown/stem back in completely.

This time I made sure I'd put the crown/stem in time setting position before removal and as far as I know I didn't turn the stem screw too loose.

What could be causing this? It only seems to happen on my 183. Didn't have trouble with it on my 111 whatsoever. Do I remove or insert the stem/crown incorrectly maybe?

I would be glad to know, because now I have to remove the dial and hands everytime after un- or recasing the movement to check the keyless works.

Thanks in advance!

wombosi

After studying the positions of the keyless works, it now seems more logical to put the crown into winding position instead of time setting position before turning the stem screw and removing the stem/crown. However, I am a bit confused, since most tutorials mention time setting position...

:rofl: