Sign in to follow this  
icebergwtq

Opinions on the PP Calatrava 5117 RG vs. the 5120 at Josh's Place?

icebergwtq

I'm attracted to both watches, but sadly, funds are limited, and I can only afford one. If you were in that situation and had to pick, which one would it be, and why?

Thanks for any help you great reviewers can offer!

Links:

PP 5117 RG

PP 5120 RG

Mea culpa note: I'm new around here, so if this is the wrong place to post a request like this, please set me straight. Thanks!

UPDATE: Maybe a bit more info might be helpful: I intend this watch as a formal item for use with formal business wear or a dinner jacket. I regard both watches as sufficient for my needs, at least with black straps. The 5120 is obviously the more formal of the two, but I am also getting to the age where I sometimes find it useful to be able to see what the date is without hauling out some sort of electronic gimcrackery. For that, the 5117 works nicely.

I think I'm most interested in a comparison of the two movements. The 5117 comes with a "Nickle Plated Japanese Miyota 9015 Automatic Movement,21J, 28800bph, Gold Insignia Rotor," which my research indicates is a pretty good movement. OTOH, I can't seem to find out very much about the movement for the 5120, which is a "Nickle Plated Asian Modified Patek Calibre Automatic Movement,21J, 21600bph, Off Centre Small Gold Insignia Rotor."

I'd be very interested in anybody who has real world experience with either, and especially the ability to compare the two.

Again, thanks very much for any help offered.

Edited by icebergwtq

_DC_

I'd go for the 5117, slightly more modern elegance for me, the 5120 is nice but a little too classic and simplistic. Also regarding the movements the micro rotor movement in the 5120 is nice but the big spacer ring just completely ruins it, and so unnecessary, they've made the watch larger than it should be so why not make it smaller and not have the spacer ring, silly decision!

Definitely the 5117!

DC

icebergwtq

Thanks!

I was leaning toward the 5117 anyway, because of the date and the long-established quality of that Myota movement. Also, it's few bucks cheaper, which is nice. ^_^

But the expert confirmation of my noob hunch is most welcome!