Sign in to follow this  
Steph Deux

Winders?

Xpletiv

I'm still caught up on one not being adverse to a bitch slap or two first thing in the morning.......

myaz

There is a certain amount of logic in that running a watch constantly shortens its life. However, there is also truth in that letting it sit moves lube away from wear/friction points and --over time-- moves bearing surfaces out of true. Truth also in that starting an engine involves a lot of wear.

the analogy is not completely accurate. Truth that starting an engine involves wear because the oil drains from journal bearing interfaces at the top to the sump at the bottom. The residual film (aided by capillary action) provides lubrication until oil pressure rises.

On the other hand, watch oil stays in place for a few reasons. Capillary action overcoming gravity (surface tension, cohesion, adhesive forces stuff)..... plus it has no place to drain, hence an oil pump is not included in most watches.

Piloten

True to an extent and well put. We are talking about miniscule weights and shear forces but also miniscule surfaces and lubricants with minimal cohesion properties. Left coast had an excellent point, re: the loss of elasticity of the mainspring but that is more dependent again on the number of compression cycles than a constant tension of a fully wound spring (work hardening vs. plastic deformation) Again, miniscule forces at play. All in all, I have serious doubts about a noticeable difference either way.

I do not use winders because b: I tried one and the noise made me crazier than I already was and a: (much more important) I *like* winding and setting my watches.

I never said I was normal.

Oh, and, watches that need oil pumps.. oh yeahhhh, count me in!

Edited by Piloten

Dendo

Lots of good answers here.

Perpetual calendar watch is about the only convincing reason to me for a watch winder.

I have a nice winder with a cool blue light I use infrequently.

myaz

Oh, and, watches that need oil pumps.. oh yeahhhh, count me in!

Count a lot of us watch nuts in :P

MetalMickey

I got a winder. The problem is that because even the most accurate automatic watch gains or loses time, you still have to set it when you pick it up if it's been on there for any time. If I put both two premium watches on there, they might be 5 minutes apart by the time I come to wear one!

Steph Deux

Sadly and based on the comments, I think I need to be turning my watch winder into nothing more than a display cabinet....gulp!

I have read where some people leave their watches on their winders, but only turn on the particular winder for the watch they plan on wearing the night before.

Thus, it may still need to be re-set the following morning, but it likely will not need the bitch slap.

And it dispenses with endless days of winding to keep a fully-wound watch fully wound; thus, reducing friction wear by orders of magnitude.

Left Coast Guy

Sadly and based on the comments, I think I need to be turning my watch winder into nothing more than a display cabinet....gulp!

I have read where some people leave their watches on their winders, but only turn on the particular winder for the watch they plan on wearing the night before.

Thus, it may still need to be re-set the following morning, but it likely will not need the bitch slap.

And it dispenses with endless days of winding to keep a fully-wound watch fully wound; thus, reducing friction wear by orders of magnitude.

So you're spending a couple hundred bucks on a winder to save you 5-10 turns of the crown? That makes loads of sense....

Steph Deux

Slow down and sound out the words you don't understand.

Gavin1393 noted that he already had a winder, so no, he wasn't spending any money.

Similarly, I noted how others used their winders, so no, I wasn't spending any money.

We'll let the readers decide what makes loads of sense...

bennybunker

BOXY CASTLE WINDER.

Have had several winders to keep my lucky four (watches I wear regularly) at ready.

The above winder (4 slot) I have next to my bed and use it as a clock. Makes no noise. Tap the winder and lights turn on inside.

The problem with the 4 slot is it only has two lights at center so the outer two watches don't get illuminated if you are into presentation. The single and double slot illuminate your pieces very nice.

Fully adjustable TPD with Bi-Directional, CW, CCW selections to match up to your movement. Very versatile.

Edited by bennybunker