Sign in to follow this  
NCRich

Two Rolex Vintages - 6538 and 1665

NCRich

I was bored and playing around with the iphone camera and took some pics of a couple that I've done in the recent past. They are both 2813 movements. The one with no crown guards is the older model sub. It is the 6538 Rolex big crown. The second is the 1665 double red seadweller. It has a date function. Pics of both:

PekT9rF.jpg

tL33I56.jpg

3e7443N.jpg

They both have riveted bracelets

66517yl.jpg

This is the 6538. It starts life as a rather inexpensive Silix watch. About $100. It has a Rafflestime gold gilt dial ($30-40) and some Tiger big ball gold hands ($20ish). The hands are aged, but the dial is pretty damned good by itself. For those who are noobs, to do this you take the whole watch apart down to the individual pieces and do each thing separately. You use a dremel or hand files to round off the edges, then you mark the case up, and then polish it on a wheel to remove most of the scoring. You bleach the bezel insert and use a variety of things to mark it. Trying to replicate what you'd do wearing it. It has a high dome plexi (too high), so you take about 2mm off the bottom before putting it back on the finished case. You do the same thing to the bracelet that you do to the case. Then after you polish it you give it a good lube with dry bike lube. Put it all back together. There are some good tutorials on RWI.

0vbXd1B.jpg

6KF8xPJ.jpg

High dome plexi

9GuYCFV.jpg

This is the 1665 double red seadweller, one of the most popular vintage watches. This watch originally came from Narikaa. The watch was disassembled and the dial was aged with brown pigments and then hit with 3 coats of flat lacquer. Interesting look. The insert was more lightly aged than the one above. Case and bracelet were aged. Yadda yadda. Pics:

ueAg68P.jpg

FZnE0sq.jpg

LkVG5dj.jpg

It has an engraved case back.

Q5jn8qk.jpg

Hey I've ran on and on but I could talk about this hobby forever. Hope you enjoy the pics.

Rich

GC

Namaste, I need to get a 6538! Stunning

6A540937-79B3-482D-9E63-1E2E0EC8B26C_zpskv7tafjr.gif

Piccolo

Both very nice - I really like the no cg subs.

Congrats on the builds, enjoy them lots :)