Sign in to follow this  
thermalboyz

Comparison Audemars Piguet AP ROO 44 Forged Carbon - (Gen vs Rep)

thermalboyz

Comparison Audemars Piguet AP ROO 44 Forged Carbon - (Gen vs Rep)

No one done this FC 44 review as yet and I found this information on Chinese website and would like to share with you all here. (21/06/16)

ALL CREDIT TO LINGMUWATCH Author.

Here are bit of basic information and video of Forged Carbon making video.

Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore Forged Carbon (26400AU.OO.A002CA.01)

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-21%20at%2017.59.49_zpslcmigkoe.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-21%20at%2018.01.20_zpspsduwzrh.pngScreen%20Shot%202016-06-21%20at%2018.02.23_zpsqmxheoak.png

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-21%20at%2018.03.24_zpskptfez0u.png

Video (How It's Made) : - (First 2 mins)

GENERAL :

From vision comparison side by side, all parts is in place where it should be, size and dimensions are very close. JF give an impression a bit brighter / whiter, it's because the dial print are slightly wider therefore look more white.

3_zpsyrik5qud.jpg

DIAL :

As discussed previously, GEN dial print is finer and more detail and JF is a bit wide / rough than the GEN.

4_zpsnkzcvydn.jpg5_zpsh8qyqf5f.jpg

LOGO :

In this macro, you can see the Logo and fonts looks pretty close, fonts is the same. Only slight difference of font is REP is bit bolder than the GEN. The square pannel for "Audemars Piguet" on GEN is slight longer than the REP. Therefore REP font has less gaps between alphabets and look bold. LOGO AP on GEN has thinner gap.

6_zpsmt6f1pqu.jpg

7_zpspr80lyla.jpg

HANDS :

Hands details hardly see any differences between the two.

8_zpsk5bsvnom.jpg

9_zps96yld0af.jpg

SUB-DIAL :

As we can see GEN sub-dial paint are more finer and concentric is more appealing / sharper. REP also done not bad on subdial and concentric but it just to as sharp / fine than GEN. However, these details hardly can be see without a loupe magnifier.

10_zpsrihdc4tv.jpg

DATE :

Date frame on GEN has smoother cut around, REP font is bolder than GEN. This is visibly from naked eye. 3D printed date on GEN and REP and quite close on both. AR difference on both GEN and REP. Only thing stands out from the date window is the Index 3 is shorter than GEN, that's because of the datewheel position on the movement.

11_zpsuwqpfv7b.jpg

12_zpsmalyo2u4.jpg

Tachy :

GEN font and REP looks very close. Again, GEN slightly sharper.

13_zpst6u2ugza.jpg

14_zps1c4dfe7e.jpg

LUME :

If we look closer, JF is brighter in general. Looks a bit reverse to the GEN, Index Brighter hands not on the REP.

15_zpsa0pqvoku.jpg

CROWN / PUSHER :

Not much differences in general, Pushers seem a bit wider, Logo engraved on GEN looks deeper.

16_zpsftaoeytm.jpg

LOGO :

Logo on GEN is deeper, apart from that it's spot on. REP edges seem a bit sharp tho.

17_zpsosyqpwuw.jpg

18_zps5yi4cgf1.jpg

SIDE :

Because of technology constrain, polishing not as fine as GEN. Slightly more thickness on JF case. On macro, JF has more carbon pattern effect than GEN.

19_zpskzq6zbfh.jpg

20_zpsqfshmpnl.jpg

MOVEMENT :

Movement is the hardest one to 100% copy because technology and budget constrain. From looking on the movement it is a tell tell for someone who know the GEN. However, the movement can't be seen when wearing the watch.

24_zpsjwkw4hht.jpg

CASEBACK :

Engraving is bolder compare to GEN. Movement on GEN is finer and more detailed than REP.

22_zpspcehotvy.jpg

23_zpsqtlqkkbf.jpg

21_zpsrsby6sox.jpg

212342szj077334zzqzu06_zpsnnbfkvaa.jpg

BUCKLE :

Not much differences, GEN is engraved deeper than REP.

25_zpsndmyqvs9.jpg

WEIGHT :

Forged carbon is an unique materials, it is very light with total weight of 91.3g.

26_zpsypmwbmwg.jpg

SUMMARY :

In summary JF did a great job for this FC 44 ROO but there are still room for improvements on better printing, engraving and polishing. However, if the factory can invest better machine / technology and with enough budget to do so. This will be definitely a SUPER REP (Not including Movement as they've done their best already). Anyway, this is as close as REP can get with 1/40 of the GEN Price.

ENJOY!!!

Update 20.07.16

Looking on some Gen forum regarding AP 44 FC. Found out that some of the GEN FC case edges been soft and flaked off. Pictures below. AP had improved their FC manufacturing process but still don't know how's the quality of the REP FC manufacturing quality. So word of advise, wear it carefully and report back here if your's FC did flaked off. Original GEN thread here >>>>

http://50.30.45.116/showthread.php?t=424302

FC20Flake20off201_zpsoihdayln.jpg

FC20Flake20off203_zpsytniccai.jpg

FC20Flake20off202_zpswi7vt6a0.jpg

WatchaholicMallorca

Nice write up mate, well worth the effort!

trialco

Incredible comparison - god i want one so bad right now!

carter23

Please post all the Gen vs Rep comparisons you find on that site! these are awesome.

Im guessing they are the gen vs rep from the factories that use the gens to replicate the watch as good as possible

philippe123

x

Mr_B

Great review :thumbsup:

thermalboyz

I will try, not that easy to translate and re-arrange the pictures. soon, will include other comparison too.

Stewart

If those didn't wear so damn big I would have one right now! Thanks for the review.

thermalboyz

I thought is big for my 6.5 inch wrist but actually sit quite well.

IMG_20160627_100507_zps8k1hjbrd.jpg

Sent from my pigeon

josephstainton95

Hi, I am new to the forum!

Really like your review, beautiful piece and a great replica by the looks.

Can you say which site you got it from? Is the trusted dealers page on here still up to date? I noticed it was posted in 2008...

I am very eager to get into the replica game!

All the best

Joe

SuperSalami

Amazing comparison - thank you very much!!

bigmoney

Can you say which site you got it from? Is the trusted dealers page on here still up to date? I noticed it was posted in 2008...

I am very eager to get into the replica game!

All the best

Joe

I too am new to the site and would love to buy this rep model, any help greatly appreciate

greg_r

The trusted dealer page is updated regularly, as you'll see if you scroll to the bottom - the last update was just a few days ago. Alternatively, just take a look at the dealer section on the board index page.

thermalboyz

Check out Trusted dealer section and choose the one you feel comfortable. There are also review of trusted dealer so you can see how they deal with other buyers.

Then go to their website search for AP 44 Forged Carbon model and you will find it. Good luck

Sent from my pigeon

AstroAvia

Very interesting and detailed comparison. Thank you for translating and sharing with us.

I absolutely love these 44mm APROO, but the FC model is the best looking by far IMO. And even though JF usually beats noob's efforts, I think the dial is overall better and closer to gen on the noob. I can't remember now, but I think noob did much better pusher guards too, whereas JF‘s attempt is very different from gen (especially in the area close to the crown).

thermalboyz

update 20.06.16 - update GEN FC reliability info

Chavezzito

Damn...this rep looks really good compared to the gen...I even prefer the date font on the rep :lol:

Bwatchful

Hi has anyone actually bought this watch? I'm considering it but wanted to see how the reliability was. Many thanks

Walle

Ho, how is the weight compared?

jpohl402

I know im late to the party, but great comparison, review, photos, and info! :)

2470f2.8ii

bump

Audie Marr

I recently got a AP Forged Carbon from ToroBravo. And after a few initial minor problems my "watch doctor" in Bangkok did some magic to it and now it works SUPER, and looks so good and feels so good. I love it....... almost as much as my new T3 from Theonewatches.

Thank you RWG for introducing me to the world of great reps.

couleur

This is my favorite AP and iv'e been constantly studying the visual aspects while finding ways to make it look as gen as possible. The topic didn't cover the most distinct flaw about JF vs GEN and also vs Noob.

With a few mods, you'll be able to get a gen like AP 44mm. What you need is

- JF 44mm watch, because the case and endlinks fits gen strap. Noobs fitting on gen strap is crap.

- Replace JF dial with V2 Noob dial, as you can see the hour markers on JF is too thick compared to gen, the V2 Noob is much more accurate plus the sub sec dial marker on JF is much shorter - all 44mm JF has this significant flaw, Noob has got it correct since V1. However the dial waffle pattern on Noob V1 is horrible, they have improved this on V2 Noobs.

- Sub dial hands, JF got it right with black colour with white and red, Noob is chrome silver with white and red which is wrong. I tried to paint over the noob version but f*cked up, so now I have to pay $15 or $35 to a TD to get JF sub dial hands.

- Cyclops mod, it is mandatory because anyone who has a 44mm GEN can call your watch out looking at that shallow datewheel. You need Legend's cyclops MK3 which cost $200 and requires a modification to fit it in.

- Gen a gen rubber strap / Gen GP strap - the rep rubber is significantly different than gen when its seasoned. The rep remains matte and lighter in shade while the gen has this semi shiny finish with visible grainy details.

- Crystal - get prof steve 2XAR - its far more superior than gen crystal, but you need this because the gen waffle dial has a lot of depth that the V2 Noob dial does not have.

The major flaw about 44mm is the thickness and shorter 3 hour marker. Its not possible to get away with this due to the A7750 movement. But nobody will notice this unless they are a RWI, repgeek, RWG AP enthusiast. However that 2mm thickness on wrist is a big tell, if you have seen a gen on wrist you can tell how slim the watch is opposed to the rep.

2470f2.8ii

Holy information ^

WatchaholicMallorca

This is my favorite AP and iv'e been constantly studying the visual aspects while finding ways to make it look as gen as possible. The topic didn't cover the most distinct flaw about JF vs GEN and also vs Noob.

With a few mods, you'll be able to get a gen like AP 44mm. What you need is

- JF 44mm watch, because the case and endlinks fits gen strap. Noobs fitting on gen strap is crap.

- Replace JF dial with V2 Noob dial, as you can see the hour markers on JF is too thick compared to gen, the V2 Noob is much more accurate plus the sub sec dial marker on JF is much shorter - all 44mm JF has this significant flaw, Noob has got it correct since V1. However the dial waffle pattern on Noob V1 is horrible, they have improved this on V2 Noobs.

- Sub dial hands, JF got it right with black colour with white and red, Noob is chrome silver with white and red which is wrong. I tried to paint over the noob version but f*cked up, so now I have to pay $15 or $35 to a TD to get JF sub dial hands.

- Cyclops mod, it is mandatory because anyone who has a 44mm GEN can call your watch out looking at that shallow datewheel. You need Legend's cyclops MK3 which cost $200 and requires a modification to fit it in.

- Gen a gen rubber strap / Gen GP strap - the rep rubber is significantly different than gen when its seasoned. The rep remains matte and lighter in shade while the gen has this semi shiny finish with visible grainy details.

- Crystal - get prof steve 2XAR - its far more superior than gen crystal, but you need this because the gen waffle dial has a lot of depth that the V2 Noob dial does not have.

The major flaw about 44mm is the thickness and shorter 3 hour marker. Its not possible to get away with this due to the A7750 movement. But nobody will notice this unless they are a RWI, repgeek, RWG AP enthusiast. However that 2mm thickness on wrist is a big tell, if you have seen a gen on wrist you can tell how slim the watch is opposed to the rep.

That lot will set you back a few quid :giggle: