Sign in to follow this  
markeym3

Solved, thanks all... Help with Movement ID and crown and stem problem

markeym3

Hi And thanks for taking a look,This watch belongs to my brother it originally came from Jackson, As you can see the crown has snapped off from the stem , so of course I need a new crown and stem,Your help to identify the movement would be appreciated.

20160726_183715_zpsace6mgod.jpg

20160726_183655_zpsmwotz5ns.jpg

20160726_183708_zpsqu1gxk70.jpg

20160726_183753_zpsk0dxj9vw.jpg

markeym3

Thats great thanks for your help..

GenTLe

Get a stem extender and use the stem you have. You need just to measure the diameter of the thread. Normally it is 0.9mm.

The extenders can be purchased on the bay for like 3$

Use vinegar to dissolve the part of the stem still in the crown (it will take 2 weeks).

TRANSPORTER

I used a mix of aluminium powder of some sort, I forget it's name but will find out, and water mix in a jam jar and left it next to a hot water pipe in my airing cupboard, I literally saturated the water with the powder so it was cloudy. It didn't work on a stainless steel stem but it did work on a screw that had snapped in a movement plate, it dissolved it in one night! !!

GenTLe

Yes Transporter, it is alum (same stuff men use to stop bleeding when they cut during the shaving). But it is a bit more aggressive (1night vs 2weeks) so you need to take care, especially that the SS will not darken.

markeym3

This is brilliant , many thanks for the help, I did e-mail Jackson about a stem but he said I would have to get a complete movement , so a stem extension sounds good, I will measure the diameter and find one , thanks again.

marc

markeym3

Does anyone happen to know the diameter of the stem? my verniers have gone tits up , and just tried googling it but no joy..

OK reckon I have found it , yes you are correct it appears to be 0.9

https://www.google.c...4ZLovC7rVItM%3A

And from here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WATCH-WINDER-WINDING-STEM-EXTENSIONS-SWISS-MADE-TOP-QUALITY-BEST-PRICE-/290956203980?var=&hash=item43be5757cc:m:mSTB8HMrbDhZrvHQZOWBtGA

BadPickle

Let's use a little logic here, the last couple of times advice was taken from the wannabee's here, the end result was sold at a considerable loss or thrown in the rubbish (that's trash for our 'mericsn cousins)

Ask Jackson if he can get you a new crown and stem, that alum powder trick ain't always a 100% success anyway, it can damage the thread, and vinegar??? really??? ? that's just for putting on fish and chips in our house :P

markeym3

Let's use a little logic here, the last couple of times advice was taken from the wannabee's here, the end result was sold at a considerable loss or thrown in the rubbish (that's trash for our 'mericsn cousins)

Ask Jackson if he can get you a new crown and stem, that alum powder trick ain't always a 100% success anyway, it can damage the thread, and vinegar??? really??? ? that's just for putting on fish and chips in our house :P

Ha Ha yes fish and chips ,, bloody hell now i'm a bit peckish... I did ask Jackson he can only supply the crown , I have a crown already my brother sourced it so just need the stem, but now I have the measurement I have ordered one off the bay.. but may try a few ways to remove the stem on the old crown if it goes tits up i dont need it anyhoo...

GenTLe

Does anyone happen to know the diameter of the stem? my verniers have gone tits up , and just tried googling it but no joy..

OK reckon I have found it , yes you are correct it appears to be 0.9

https://www.google.c...4ZLovC7rVItM%3A

And from here

http://www.ebay.co.u...bDhZrvHQZOWBtGA

Yes, they're those ones, of course you will need a 90-90, even tho I'd specify with the seller you mean 0.9mm, because in the description they make some confusion, calling TAP9 the 0.9mm (which is TAP10).

About winegar/alum: it's a long time established system, and the one that saved my Hublot gold that fallen on the ground and broken the stem like your one.

The stem extender instead saved my B&R Type Aviation because the gen eta movement comes with a short stem that was screwed in the crown for just 1mm and detached as soon as I started to use the watch.

BadPickle

Ha Ha yes fish and chips ,, bloody hell now i'm a bit peckish... I did ask Jackson he can only supply the crown , I have a crown already my brother sourced it so just need the stem, but now I have the measurement I have ordered one off the bay.. but may try a few ways to remove the stem on the old crown if it goes tits up i dont need it anyhoo...

:thumbsup: I was going to suggest mushy peas/curry sauce/gravy as a last resort, but that's not for the faint hearted ;)

Good result, pics when it's all fixed :D