Sign in to follow this  
Andy54

Rep Longines Master Collection ~ Wild Price Variation ?

Andy54

As a noob to the world of replicas I've been reading a lot of interesting things here about various movements used by manufacturers.

Would I be right in thinking that the wild price variation I've found for a Longines Master Collection on offer from $125 up to $269 would be due to one dealer using a better movement than an other ? Or maybe there's no difference at all ?

http://www.sales-replicas.com/longines-mas...78.3-p.html#pic

Another edit: Do you guys think that an example of this Longines would be as accurate, serviceable and water resistant as my $150 Pulsar ?

Thanks

Andy

Edited by Andy54

Luthier

If you're noob - stick with our trusted dealers, otherwise you'll lose money to scammers.

Case Material: Steel

Dial Color: White

Movement: Automatic

After such a description I want to puke.

greg_r

Be aware that 99% of the replica sites out there are scammers. If they're not on our trusted list, assume that they're risky. You'll be safer that way.

The description on the site you link to is, frankly completely useless. In addition, a lot of the photos on there are of gen watches - NOT the replica you would receive. This tells me that this is yet another scam site. You might receive a watch, but you can pretty much guarantee that it'll be nothing like what you expected - more likely you'll get an empty box and you will have lost your dough. It happens a lot.

Send a pic of the watch you want to one of our trusted dealers - if a quality rep is available, they will be able to supply it. However, be aware that there are relatively few Longines reps around and most of what is available is at the low quality end of the market.

themoo-12

Andy, most reps keep decent time. You can get that watch from anyone of our dealers for a good price! Email one of them with a link and they will help you in the right direction. As for water, I never get a rep wet (or at least submerged) no rep comes from the factory with that ability. You can send it off and have it done by a pro. If the crown can be screwed down then it could be made water safe. I used to do this for fun with my watches.

turnipz

If you are after a longines master collection might I suggest this style one if it appeals to you

2.jpg

You can get it with a 7751 movement and it is said to be almost indistinguishable from genuine, especially considering the gen uses a 7751 movement itself. Mary should have the best price on one but make sure its not one with a 7750 movement in it.

Edited by turnipz

Andy54

Thanks for the feedback guys and the info regarding accuracy and water resistance.

Turnipiz, that's a really nice looking rep. Do you know when they specify the movement as being say 7751 that it is actually the gen movement and not a clone ?

I ask this as I've looked at some other style replicas, from the guy at the very bottom of the Trusted Dealer Link, where he lists movements for some nice looking models [ $248 up to $348 ] as being "Swiss ETA 2842-2", but I'm not sure if these would just be clones of the gen Swiss 2842.

Ska

Ok this is a slightly grey area however in reality it is of little importance. There are a few facts you should know first.

1. With the rep factories being on the other side of the world, and the illicit nature of the trade anyway, guaranteeing if a movement is genuine can be very tough, even for experts.

2. The cloned movements are getting more and more accurate, with correct serial numbers, stamping and weight (fueled even further lately by ETA recently announcing it will no longer be manufacturing movements for aftermarket sales.)

3. Many rep movements have to be heavily modified anyway from the original ETA spec (gen or clone) with decorated bridge plates or even entirely different gearing. (See just about every Panerai rep.)

HOWEVER

Some rep dealers, for example ReplicaMake, Watchinternational and PrestigeWatchCo among others) have a huge amount of experience spotting the clones from the genuine article.

BUT

The genuine Swiss movements are often second hand, and can in some cases be less reliable and/or have stamping and logos from other watch brands. - Which ironically looks less authentic than the clone if you ever take the back off. The clone movements are usually new, just as reliable and will both look and behave just like the Swiss equivalent.

For most luxury watch reps (Rolex, Omega, IWC, Jaeger LeCoultre etc) the movement will look nothing like the gen regardless of whether its a clone or not - AND - the swiss movements are usually significantly more expensive whilst offering little, if any difference in quality or reliability.

So in summary, IMO you should go with the clone movement. Much better value.

Oh and by the way. On most dealers listings the cloned movements will be prefixed with 'A', 'Asia' or 'Asian' (for example A7750 or Asia 2842-2)

Hope this helps.

Ska :fail:

wombosi

Nice write up Ska. I'm sure this will help the guy. :fail:

Aren

Wow, Great write-up Ska. :fail:

Detailed information is great for most members, but I can't always follow it.

So nice that you took the time for this review and analysis.

I especially appreciate your detailed analysis.

This review was so concise I could easily understand it. :)

The recommendations pulls this thorough review together for me.

If I were to buy one of these,

I would go for the Asian clone, but not from my own movement

knowledge, but just from things I have read here.

:clap: Cheers!

Luthier

Great post, Ska!!!

HOWEVER

I just curious, where rep. factories get "second hand" Swiss ETAs?

If I understand right, "second hand" movements could come only from used watches, right?

Being THERE many times, seeing tons of boxes shipped from Switzerland, full of brand new ETAs, I doubt rep. factories collect old rep. watches from customers, to extract movements and place them in new reps. Rep. factories produce literally thousands of watches every day, can you imagine the size of manpower needed to disassemble thousands of old watches, take mov'ts out, clean it up, replace the rotor with correct label, etc., etc... and put it in new replicas? Even if they magically found the source for thousands of old reps, that I doubt, it's a waste of time and money, because there's no problems with new movements. You can easily buy ANY genuine Swiss ETA mov't on watch market in GZ, for really little money.

012-6.jpg

011-7.jpg

010-12.jpg

09-9.jpg

08-3.jpg

Luthier
If you are after a longines master collection might I suggest this style one if it appeals to you

You can get it with a 7751 movement and it is said to be almost indistinguishable from genuine, especially considering the gen uses a 7751 movement itself. Mary should have the best price on one but make sure its not one with a 7750 movement in it.

These, with heavily modified 21J movements, are just great watches.

DSCF0126-1.jpg

DSCF0103.jpg

wombosi

Nice post Luthier! Do you have more pics available of that market and maybe even of the rest of the trip? Feel free to send me a PM if your not wanting to post all the pics here.

Luthier

Search "GZ trip" and "GTG in GZ", I posted full reviews with tons of pics. Both in "General discussion" subforum.

Ska

Great post Luth - You're right, there are a lot of new ETA movements knocking about however there are also lots of used/second-hand and hybrid (made of both gen and clone parts) movements being used too. You have to take into consideration that man-power is the cheapest commodity in China.

If a job lot of 1000 second-hand watches costs for example $6 per watch plus another $10 per watch to have someone remove the movement but a Swiss ETA movement costs $50 or even as little as $40 wholesale its still cheaper to use the second-hand movement.

For example, many of the Swiss ETA 2671 movements in the more expensive Cartier Tanks, Lady DateJusts, and Omega Devilles are used. I even got one in a Cartier Tank I bought for a friend. Perfectly good ETA 2671 but with a weird old brand.

Luthier

Chris, my main question was - where they get thousands of used reps? Did you ever hear about dealers or factories, asking customers to send them old reps for $6? I doubt it.

And... chinese buy ETAs for DECADES, so, it's perfectly understandable, why you got your Tank with old carburetor engine.

:)

As you said - it was good mov't, just weirdly old... Old doesn't mean "used".

Andy54

Thanks fellas for the in depth info. It's very much appreciated.