Sign in to follow this  
NCRich

Finally ready to rock - 6538 and no CG Tudor snowflake

NCRich

Finally got everything together.

CXfgmyk.jpg

Two 6538 builds that I just got ready to put together. I already have one 6538 but I wanted to do one better. When this is done I can sell the other. So we start with two low beat Swiss NOS movements, gen spec spring bars, two Silix cases that have been shaped, drilled, and cleaned. A Raffles blue snowflake dial, Raffles gilt two liner, WSO snowflake hands, Tiger big ball gold hands. GS Tropic 19 plexis for both and what I considered the best inserts from ebay providers. I'm going to lightly bleach the blue insert, and leave the black one alone for now.

Was going go for Athaya crowns but it took me two months of waiting for parts and buying tools to get here. I'm gonna put this together this weekend.

You'd think that buying this:

0dQh7mf.jpg

would make drilling lugs a no brainer. The 8 lugs above cost 8 drill bits. And that is better than I did on my first attempt. Then you have to bevel the edges of the holes, sand with multiple grits, and finally polish. I can always do the crowns later when I am feeling the love.

NCRich

Oh, and this was the inspiration for the no CG snowflake. I just really liked the look.

qP223iB.jpg

ROLIE

Very nice rich

Will be super when its done

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

BM284

Mate I can't wait to see the picture of these when they are done .... Good luck with assembly :)

andyboy

Looking forward to the end results.

Drilling the tube holes isn`t half as hard as doing the lugs.

BadPickle

You've mastered the bad bit, took me ages to get the bezel off mine :lol:

Which hands are you using on the Tudor?

NCRich

I have the snowflake hands. We will see how that does. I've had a bitch of a time with the damn plexis. Everyone else says theirs just pops out. I had to break mine in pieces. They glued those suckers in hard. I've taken those bezels off before.

Apparently I'm using the wrong type of drill bits. False economy.

jdog

I have the snowflake hands. We will see how that does. I've had a bitch of a time with the damn plexis. Everyone else says theirs just pops out. I had to break mine in pieces. They glued those suckers in hard. I've taken those bezels off before.

Try and use a case knife to pry up the crystal. Usually does the trick for me when they're stuck. Also, here are the bits I use. Low speed on a hand drill, nice and smooth. Key, as with other things, is proper lube ;)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009NNKR4E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

NCRich

Try and use a case knife to pry up the crystal. Usually does the trick for me when they're stuck. Also, here are the bits I use. Low speed on a hand drill, nice and smooth. Key, as with other things, is proper lube ;)

https://www.amazon.c...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks, ordered a couple of those. The plexis on this are mounted inside, can't get a case knife on it. I did manage to get one off with a heat gun.

Haltec

Put case with plexy in freezer overnight.

NCRich

Screw it, I just ordered 2 Athaya crowns, drill bits, and a tap. Put this back on the shelf for another 2-3 weeks. May as well do it right the first time.

BadPickle
Screw it, I just ordered 2 Athaya crowns, drill bits, and a tap. Put this back on the shelf for another 2-3 weeks. May as well do it right the first time.

:lol: I've got a few that started like that but just got forgotten about, I'm just finishing an esdee 3646 type d in bronze today :sofa: more than 2 years in the making

GC

Good philosophy

jakethemouse

Anyone updates?

Can't wait to see the no CG snowflake.

NCRich

Still waiting on the Athaya crowns. Tools are all here. Should be here soon. Need a lot patience for this hobby apparently.

NCRich

OK, got the crowns. Worth $90 (crowns plus tools)?

ozjr3Gi.jpg?1

Q7uhk6W.jpg?1

GC
OK, got the crowns. Worth $90 (crowns plus tools)?

What's your opinion? Drastically different from the original one that comes with the case?

NCRich

Its bigger, I don't know that it is worth the price if you were going for bang for the buck. If you want something to play with then it fits the bill.

NCRich

Hmm...trying to decide. White, aged, light gold.

r0vjzmU.jpg?1

MhaSfRh.jpg?1

NOS would look similar to this.

PW7DY8K.jpg?1

Can't decide. Suggestions?

BM284

I'm liking the aged lume - but it's your build, which one keeps catching your eye the most?

NCRich

I'm liking the aged lume - but it's your build, which one keeps catching your eye the most?

Too many options. I'm using watercolors to test out colors so I can apply and rinse off very easily. I could literally make any color. This gold is too yellow and I could have been more careful applying. I could make a mix of the light brown with a bit of yellow in a white base. Less is probably more.

I actually like the white markers and hands. It doesn't really fit here though.

BM284

Too many options. I'm using watercolors to test out colors so I can apply and rinse off very easily. I could literally make any color. This gold is too yellow and I could have been more careful applying. I could make a mix of the light brown with a bit of yellow in a white base. Less is probably more.

I think on the snowflake builds just a subtle ageing is just the ticket .... That's what I went for on my one - I totally get the cleanness of the white markers and hands but (just my opinion) it's a little too clean - though if your going down the NOS it will be perfect :) what are you planning on mounting it on?

NCRich

I think on the snowflake builds just a subtle ageing is just the ticket .... That's what I went for on my one - I totally get the cleanness of the white markers and hands but (just my opinion) it's a little too clean - though if your going down the NOS it will be perfect :) what are you planning on mounting it on?

I have both a rivet bracelet and a vintage leather strap. Like this one.

P3240345_zpsjnciy8gf.jpg

BM284

P3240345_zpsjnciy8gf.jpg

Nice - think the rivet bracelet will look brilliant - currently waiting for a NOS marine national NATO to try, will post picks when it arrives :)

GC

P3240345_zpsjnciy8gf.jpg

This!!!! All day, I'm not a fan of subs on leather but this is perfect. I would only wear it like this, it just brings out the dial so much more.