_DC_

FIRST THOUGHTS: The new Patek 530 rep

bowtiefanatc

Looks fantastic!!

FuzzyCoyote

Holy wow.... That looks like an absolute beauty.... Class

Enjoy dude. Hope you are well.

chrisb9

Thanks to this thread (as well as the other Patek 530 thread), I picked up one of these watches as my first replica. It is a GREAT looking watch! Very happy with my first purchase.

DC, or anyone else who wants to chime in, do you have any recommendations on a strap to go with this great looking watch? I'm leaning towards a quality alligator strap (without spending a fortune). Thanks!

Edited by chrisb9

Pulse

Chris, there are two ways to go for a nice alligator strap (in my honest opinion). There is vnhandcraft who makes a damned nice gator strap for something in the $40 range or I would strongly recommend the Camille Fournet (that DC himself favours) who will make a high quality strap how you like it for about €200 (will let you convert to your currency).

Both are strong options (used them both myself) but there are of course many others including a few TD strap makers on this forum.

HeavyKrush

Very nice watch DC. I'm sure it will look fantastic regardless of strap, but I personally like the dark brown gator in the first shot. Best of luck in your search mate.

_DC_

Hey Chris!

The great thing with vintage Patek is you have more options, you can go a little more casual (not that you can't with a modern Patek dress watch but I think it looks odd). As in these examples..

E100EF7B-ABD9-4094-ACB3-F7AFA50032CE_zps7ogzjcph.jpg

325CCABB-23F8-4398-A211-AE9D1756C9F8_zps6ewfsp6o.jpg

D3107464-5F6D-4148-82AF-950302859A18_zpsfnpiffgv.jpg

I intend to go for something similar to the 1436 in the last picture. There's a tonne of great options for these sort of straps, from Hodinkee or Bulang & Sons (who are superb).

If you do want to go for a more dressy alligator option, I currently have mine on a RIOS genuine alligator strap, it's flat profile which is more appropriate for a vintage piece IMO. Think it was about $130...

FF0BFF1D-8D9B-43FD-8C57-AE6BE22F1C34_zpsttihpwiy.jpg

If you want more info drop me a PM and I'll try to get back to you in between feeding the newborn :P

DC

_DC_
Very nice watch DC. I'm sure it will look fantastic regardless of strap, but I personally like the dark brown gator in the first shot. Best of luck in your search mate.

Cheers HK!

I know what you mean about dark brown on steel, it is a nice combo, that strap was the rep strap though and it was pretty dreadful (better than most but still dispicably awful)!

DC

rawbaws

It's funny how rep straps can look the part in photos but put them in your hand and they make you cringe

WatchaholicMallorca

It's funny how rep straps can look the part in photos but put them in your hand and they make you cringe

Yes, must say it is one thing I'll never quite understand, especially when there are such high quality rep items out there like bags and shoes...

Agree that this watch will look great regardless of the strap option you go for DC!

cufflink

I'm trying to figure out how to open the case back... Any idea?

Sent using Tapatalk

FunnyStarSystem

Amazing how much touch can come into play to abrogate sight. Can be a problem on reps with sharp edges as well.

Tichymeloun

just got me a 530 rep and although I have repaired many watches before, I am having a hard time opening the caseback of this one. At first sight it seems to be a snap caseback, but I am absolutely unable to open it in a decent way without destroying the case. Iwould be glad for any suggestions! Thanks

_DC_

Out of interest, why are you trying to open the caseback?!

Had a look at mine and it's hard to tell but there's no marks for a tool of any kind so I'd guess snap-back too.

DC

Tichymeloun

Out of interest, why are you trying to open the caseback?!

Had a look at mine and it's hard to tell but there's no marks for a tool of any kind so I'd guess snap-back too.

DC

problem solved:-) for anyone who would like to do it too, here is the description:-)

both, top and bottom are snapped to the mid-case, sealed with plastic/rubber o-rings...therefore the best way is to warm it up with hair dryer till it's burning hot, than just place the sharp knife between the mid/case and the part you want to pop-up, run the knife around and will easily go off.

And why did I need to do it?

here is the explanation....

The real 530 was made in three basic versions - stainless steel (very rair one), yellow gold and rose gold. The rep now being sold has a spot on dial as the rose-gold version, but absolutely diferent case shape, not a solid case-back and instead of plastic glass comes with a saphire one. My intention is to rebuild it to the original full-gold case. It will take few more weeks, especially to remake the pushers and crown, also to blue the central stop/ second hand, but just to taste the final result, I am enslosing few pics:-)

IMG_1882_zpswtbki3rq.jpg

IMG_1899_zpstcfr6gyr.jpg

IMG_1900_zps7cm0p9nb.jpg

IMG_1901_zpsctjyg2rv.jpg

Tichymeloun

And this is, how it is going to look like, when it's done:

1_zps2ykxrapk.jpg

2_zps8wbmqvq4.jpg

3_zpsyjut2hsw.jpg

Phantomtech

Wow, I'm gonna be watching this thread!

_DC_

I'm looking forward to seeing this project progress, the bezel and case shapes probably need work too, the donor case is a bit square and angular where the gen is more curvaceous!!

Great stuff though, love the fact that people are modding Pateks (aside from me), how far we've come since crappy 45mm+ Patek reps!!!

DC

Tichymeloun

There are two reasons, why I have chosen 530 for this project. The first is, that the rep has unbelievably well-made dial. The second is, that there are quite a lot of combinations of different cases and dials, as the watch was in production from 1937, until second half of fifties.

The cases sizes range from 36 mm to 37 mm. The average 530 is 36 mm, with a thin, flat case and thin rectangular pushers. The case material was either steel, yellow or rose gold, I haven’t come across a piece made from white gold, but this probably doesn’t mea nit doesn’t exist.

When browsing through vintage watches, I have realized, that there is a large number of similar watches with nearly the same case as the 530 available on the market, using either Valjoux 23, Landeron or Venus caliber. All these calibers have the same diameter and dial lay-out.

As the 530 case designs and sizes (even lugs range from 19 to 21.5 mm) differ, one doesn’t have to be so precise when selecting the donor case.

What I have felt in love with was the stainless steel version. The problem is, that there are nearly zero stainless steel chronographs available – they are either solid gold, chromed brass or gold plated brass. As I wasn’t able to find a reasonable stainless steel watch for last half a year, I have decided to go for the solid gold case.

Never the less, the hard work will start now – I still haven’t decide whether I should use the original movement, replacing the dial (It will mean having the movement restored) or to remake the pushers and placing them into the asian movement… in any case the project will take longer than I have originally thought.

In any case I will let you all know how it goes:-)