Sign in to follow this  
cereal killer

planet ocean numeral fallen off

cereal killer

I noticed one of the numerals has fallen off on my planet ocean. Is this something that can be fixed by myself or would it be too technical/fiddly for an amateur to take on?

Member X

Can you post a pic?

Have you had it long?

If it's only a very recent purchase then you may be able to seek the assistance of the vendor, but if you've had it for a while, you may need to find a modder to help - Perhaps ROLIE or Kenny, depending on where you are?

cereal killer

had it for quite a while and even then i got it from an m2m sale. so you think this one is too much for someone to diy fix? any idea on what i should expect to pay to have a modder fix it for me?

Member X

Hard to say if it's fixable and how much it would cost.

If you can post a pic or two then others can offer their thoughts on if it can be fixed, and you could then contact one of the forum modders to see if they'd give you a price and be willing to work on it.

Which continent are you on?

Nikosaldente

Post some photos mate....

A picture is like one thousand words....as they say!

dalboy

Don't have a go your self ..

It will end in tears , Case back off, movement out , ... risk of Fucking up the keyless ..

Get it to one of our modders ..

Dal.

TRANSPORTER

Depending on how patient you are and what tools you have its not a difficult job to do, if its your favourite watch and you have never opened a watch up before and worked on one then its entirely up to you if you take it on.

What's the risks, first off the Keyless may go up the Creek if you press to hard, again a self fix if you have some experience it just adds time to what is essentially an easy repair, secondly I would remove the hands so there's a risk of marking the dial and or bending the hands, thirdly you could mark your dial trying to reattach the numeral, there's a couple more things that could possible go wrong but I think I've said enough.

It's an easy fix for sure ( says me having done marker re attaching before ) but if like I said you havent done anything like this before then the ball is in your court if you choose to carry out the repair mate.

GenTLe

Depending on how patient you are and what tools you have its not a difficult job to do, if its your favourite watch and you have never opened a watch up before and worked on one then its entirely up to you if you take it on.

What's the risks, first off the Keyless may go up the Creek if you press to hard, again a self fix if you have some experience it just adds time to what is essentially an easy repair, secondly I would remove the hands so there's a risk of marking the dial and or bending the hands, thirdly you could mark your dial trying to reattach the numeral, there's a couple more things that could possible go wrong but I think I've said enough.

It's an easy fix for sure ( says me having done marker re attaching before ) but if like I said you havent done anything like this before then the ball is in your court if you choose to carry out the repair mate.

^^^this!

With rolex is quite easy having the hour markers a pin and the dial a relative hole, you can even do it with hands in place and from the front of the dial, the risky part (other than what you already wrote) is to put too much glue and make it to spread out on the side of the marker.

On an Omega I'm not sure if the numbers are just glued on the dial or if they have holes to align as on the rollies... And with no holes the risk to mess up the dial or to glue it back not straight is much much more,,,

cereal killer

okay here's a picture 20160820_095138_zpsi3ktk4dt.jpg

cereal killer

It does have two pin holes to locate it correctly, then I'm guessing it would need gluing from the back of the dial? Do the hands really need to be removed to do this? That sounds like it could cause more problems than it's worth to remove them. Is there a guide to movement removal for a planet ocean?

MDK

I am guessing there are some very small pins to re-locate it with, if i refit a dial marker i pop it back in place then use a tiny dab of glue on the rear of the dial to secure it.

If there are no pins its could be tricky like GenTle and Transporter have mentioned, good luck!!

MDK

It does have two pin holes to locate it correctly, then I'm guessing it would need gluing from the back of the dial? Do the hands really need to be removed to do this? That sounds like it could cause more problems than it's worth to remove them. Is there a guide to movement removal for a planet ocean?

I doubt you can glue it from the rear without removing the dial, even if you can you risk damaging the hands putting it face down, better to get some hand levers, dial protector and some hand setting pushers, all of that is cheap as chips and means the watch is safe, plenty of guides on here how to do it and plenty of people to ask for advice.

GenTLe

If it has pins then you can glue it back from the front without removing the hands. You need to put a tiny (VERY tiny) amount of glue with a small needle at the beginning of holes.

I normally use 2 component epoxy glue. I would completely avoid cyanacrylate based glues.

MDK

Or failing all of that you could just sell it to me

cereal killer

just sent an email to the uk repairer on this site, is there only one repairer in the uk?

that being said I'm still tempted to have a go myself but i cant find a good guide to removing the movement.

TRANSPORTER

Many of us repair watches mate, but when it comes to other people's watches it becomes abit tricky, I repair for work mates etc but I have a face to face with them first to see what needs doing and to point out any damage that is already on the watch before I take it on, as I/we are not a business then we don't have insurance if it all goes horribly wrong, also there's the trust issue of sending things through the post, I believe others prior to ourselves decided to keep some forum members watches.

Anyway I personally would glue from the rear of the dial, only because the tiniest amount of glue can sometimes be too much and you are only going to get one chance at doing it right if you glue from the front.

GenTLe

I think like you Transporter. Probably many people here can fix watches, but 1) when the voice that you can fix watches spread around you have too many requests and 2) places like this are quick to smash you the moment something goes wrong. Too risky for me...

NCRich

Not that difficult. I've done it several times. Easy to ruin the dial? Yes, you have multiple opportunities to screw up.

I'm with Gentle, I only muck about on my own stuff.

onionbag

and 2) places like this are quick to smash you the moment something goes wrong. Too risky for me...

Nope, not true.

The tinkerer does the damage to his own reputation.

Not "places like this".

JSJ

So many of us can do this and so many of us only fix our own watches. We often have requests to fix watches for others but most of us always refuse because of the risks mentioned by the wise members above.

My first tinker was a movement swap on a 21j PO. All the stages are the same as you need except for gluing the numeral back. I learnt how to do it by reading on here.

This is a very easy fix and involves no movement work at all. There are plenty of guides on here, RWI and youtube as to how to do it. You can do it. We will help if you get stuck.

Search, buy some tools and start posting your steps with pics. If you foul it up, exactly what have you lost? If you want, buy a £10 mechanical watch from Amazon and practice on that first.

Do we know what movement this is?

d4v3

Is not something easy to do OP, the cheapes and fastest way is to take it to a local watchmaker (watch out: should be rep friendly, many are not!) it shouldnt be an expensive work, is for sure not a work for amateurs, chances to damage the mov when removing the crown, getting a dirty dial/ inside the case (dust) are very high, dont try at least that you wanna learn and dont care to cause permanent damage to your watch.

GenTLe

and 2) places like this are quick to smash you the moment something goes wrong. Too risky for me...

Nope, not true.

Not "places like this".

Well, some idiot, here, tried to badmouth me even if I had never put my hands on any watch other then mines... Meantime promoting other "not certified" (even if proven good) tinckerer...

TRANSPORTER

I've got to agree with GenTLe, just yesterday whilst reinstating a cheap dg2813 in had the dia shock spring snap on me while oiling the balance, not a major ting as I have a couple of scrappers that I can use for spares, no fault of my own it just snapped.

Now imagine if I didn't have spares and I had to explain to a member that a part had broken on his watch that I was working on and he would now entail more costs to a repair. To some an inconvenience to others it might seem like they are being ripped off, being as they don't open up watches and would have no idea if a part had been replaced or not. I know I'm panting a grim picture on the world but others have gone before us spoiling it for others.

Anyway back to the subject started by the op,would I repair his watch for him, of course I would (hipocritical of me I know after I said I wouldnt) but there is more risk for me than him. Also as I have a full time job that takes me away from home most weeks and a family then time behind the bench is limited some weeks and that also adds a delay to a job.

onionbag

Nope, not true.

Not "places like this".

Well, some idiot, here, tried to badmouth me even if I had never put my hands on any watch other then mines... Meantime promoting other "not certified" (even if proven good) tinckerer...

I get that, but the truth will out........over time............ with regard to watch fixers.

Feedback is all important.....and if you don't fix others watches then that should be of no consequence to you.

Nope, not true.

Not "places like this".

I get that, but the truth will out........over time............ with regard to watch fixers.

Feedback is all important.....and if you don't fix others watches then that should be of no consequence to you.

SamsonAusKognito

Beautiful watch, do you know how old it is?