Sign in to follow this  
wrenches&watches

What's happening to my watch? Gold plating issue....

wrenches&watches

Hey everybody, Just went to list one of my AP's when I noticed a few strange dark spots on/in the gold. I'm very careful when wearing them and dings rarely occur so I don't think that's the case. Any thoughts on what they are and if they can be polished out? How to? Thanks!

58F4B230-09E6-400E-BAF0-A53C0B9D7F8B.jpg

6AE6C627-CD64-4F34-A486-7A62F0F7A12D.jpg

8AC7D62C-4C25-4FD0-8815-5DF3D7DF5203.jpg

FCC9C9B3-AF10-43B8-9670-742BBCEB7F6E.jpg

carter23

I have these same spots on a Cartier bracelet... Have no idea where they came from and have yet to remove them.

RichardMiami

Looks like tarnish to me. Might be caused by the base metal under the gold wrap.

SamsonAusKognito

I'm also into golden AP's but have never seen this. :(

I hope you find a good solution.

wrenches&watches

Looks like tarnish to me. Might be caused by the base metal under the gold wrap.

So impossible to repair then Rich?

trailboss99

EEEW! Bad prep work done before plating would be my guess; if I'm correct no cure but a strip, polish and re-plate I'm afraid.

GenTLe

I can't see the pics, anyway I had blue/violet spots one of my plated watches. Went to a shop that sells "everything" and they gave me clothes for cleaning gold objects. In less than 10s the spots went away.

I read later that they can be caused by the copper present in the pink gold which gets oxidate by our sweat.

From that moment I always clean with a wet cloth (and let them dry) my watches before putting them back in the box: Never had spots anymore.

Daywatch

How long has it been stored away and are you in a tropical/humid climate?

Some more details in general would be interesting for others to avoid it.

Try Gentle´s tip, nothing to loose anyway.

wrenches&watches

I can't see the pics, anyway I had blue/violet spots one of my plated watches. Went to a shop that sells "everything" and they gave me clothes for cleaning gold objects. In less than 10s the spots went away.

I read later that then can be caused by the copper present in the pink gold which gets oxidate by our sweat.

From that moment I always clean with a wet cloth (and let them dry) my watches before putting them back in the box: Never had spots anymore.

Sounds like worth a shot... remember the name of the cloth?

wrenches&watches

How long has it been stored away and are you in a tropical/humid climate?

Some more details in general would be interesting for others to avoid it.

Try Gentle´s tip, nothing to loose anyway.

I believe I am the second owner and she's been here in FL under A/C for a few months, sitting in an AP box and only worn 3-4 times out.

SamsonAusKognito

Sticking with Gentle would be the best so far. If it works I prepare my self the same way.

stevok2305

Actually there's a technical term for that

It's fucked!!! :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle: :giggle:

GenTLe

I read later that then can be caused by the copper present in the pink gold which gets oxidate by our sweat.

Ah, those were from an Italian local brand. Probably the same stuff like these: https://www.amazon.c...h/dp/B000RB5S72

Sticking with Gentle would be the best so far. If it works I prepare my self the same way.

You're scaring me... :giggle:

onzenuub

Ah, that were from an italian local brand. Probably the same stuff like these: https://www.amazon.com/Connoisseurs-1012-Gold-Polishing-Cloth/dp/B000RB5S72

You're gonna invite him on your room? :P

GenTLe

Only if she has nice female boobs (original ones, not reported)!

SamsonAusKognito

Ah, that were from an italian local brand. Probably the same stuff like these: https://www.amazon.com/Connoisseurs-1012-Gold-Polishing-Cloth/dp/B000RB5S72

Well my english is not the best ... but I guess I said something pervert :D

SamsonAusKognito

Some weeks ago a girl told me in english that she likes to wear skirts (she is italian, I'm german)

And I answered: ,,me too''

She was laughing her ass off :D

I recognized my mistake 2 weeks later

SamsonAusKognito

At least she thought I'm pretty funny guy

GenTLe

My cousin chatting on the phone with a hot Czech girl he banged the night before, while I was making some mess just to distract him, "sorry, but I am disturbed" (meaning the line was not ok, noisy). I laughed to tears.

Never heard her again :'-D

onzenuub

Only at RWG, asking about goldplating and within a few answers about banging Czech girls and a German member likes wearing skirts and polishing Gentle. :rofl:

SamsonAusKognito
My cousin chatting on the phone with a hot Czech girl he banged the night before, while I was making some mess just to distract him, "sorry, but I am disturbed" (meaning the line was not ok, noisy). I laughed to tears.

Never heard her again :'-D

Only at RWG, asking about goldplating and within a few answers about banging Czech girls and a German member likes wearing skirts and polishing Gentle. :rofl:

That's RWG xD xD

Just awesome.

SamsonAusKognito

I'm laughing tears right now :*D

Piloten

Maybe these will be able to help, from a couple of non-watch related sources

Gold Contacts

Vintage Razor Restoration/Cleaning

Hope it helps. Corrosion can only occur between dissimilar metals, so I hope the plating is not corroded to the point of peeling

onzenuub
Maybe these will be able to help, from a couple of non-watch related sources

Gold Contacts

Vintage Razor Restoration/Cleaning

Hope it helps. Corrosion can only occur between dissimilar metals, so I hope the plating is not corroded to the point of peeling

Tsssssssk threadcrapper. :D

Piloten

Tsssssssk threadcrapper. :D

Sorry but I can only handle a certain amount of talk about hot Czech girls