Sign in to follow this  
E-Dub

Quartz Reps

E-Dub

So I was looking at Roberts $99 Montblanc Chronographe which is really quite nice, but its quartz. I'm thinking that means that the second hand, although small, most likely ticks, right (to be honest, I haven't even checked but I assume that the gen is mechanical)? Anyway, it got me thinking and I wanted to see what the rest of you all think/know.

I took about half an hour to research if quartz watches can sweep instead of tick, and it seems that they certainly can (with many examples online of seiko, accutron, etc), but the limiter is the battery life (about 18 months, which I don't think is really that bad). So my question is, for closed back Reps, do the manufacturers have a good sweeping quartz movement? Is the rep above or the Hublot BB quartz reps limited/easily "made" by a ticking second hand?

Certainly, it seems that batterly life could be addressed with today's battery technology and the movement would probably have cheap electronics instead of expensive mechanics. So have they got this figured out or not? Wouldn't it eliminate all the "seconds at 6" problems for closed back watches?

One of the attractions to auto/mechanical watches is certainly the movement and the craft and the engineering. I like that 100% more than a battery and a circuit board, right, but on the other hand, there seems to be only a handful of movements going into these reps, so we're not getting the real deal "craftsmanship" that goes into watchmaking, but rather "manufacturing" (although I'm sure that some would argue that point and even the rep movements are mechanical wonders to me). However, for example, on Rolex's the mantra seems to be "avoid the rolex clone because its not fooling anyone and its not reliable", so if the movement isn't even close, why not cheap quartz with a perfect sweep, weight?

Frankly, I'd rather have a reliable quartz chrono than a "time bomb" secs at six Daytona despite that attraction to mechanical watches.

So done with the babbling and back to the question? Are these quartz chrono reps DOA for accuracy due to the small hand "tick"?

Thanks,

E-Dub

Cynikal.Mindset

QUARTZ GOTS NO SOUL!!!!!!!!!!

E-Dub

Agree. Just saying that for some reps it might be a good idea and wondering if the ones that do have it are any good?

Have to go read the other threads.

E-Dub

Ok went back and read the two threads posted.

None seem to get to the crux. Wouldn't it be easy and cheap for the chinese to make a quartz movement with a sweep second hand? I assume the answer is Yes, but it hasn't been done.

Do all the quartz chronos "tick" on the subdial? I assume the answer is yes, which is disappointing.

Oh well, back to building my wish list, just not sure if I'll include that montblanc.

E-Dub

KBH

Chinese don't make quartz movements unless they make them under license from Jap/Swiss companies.

It's not like anybody can throw together a watch movement. Particularly rep manufacturers. They use what's available on the open market.

wat44

Totally agree with the OP - I assumed battery life would be shorter

SweepIng quartz is awesome, failing that - choose quartz with running seconds on subdials or no running secs

pollux1

It would be great to have the reliability of quartz with smooth sweep etc but you lose the essence of the watch, the "soul" as it were of it's little mechanical heart beating away.

Luthier

Agree. Just saying that for some reps it might be a good idea and wondering if the ones that do have it are any good?

Have to go read the other threads.

If you'd only know, how many good ideas we have here...

;)

Dendo

I like both - I love the good mechanical movements that are accurate and wonderful workmanship - but I also love the utility of quartz, the accuracy and reliability and quite frankly mechanical movements need a lot of care and when you have many it is quite nice to not have to wind and set all of your watches all of the time!!! Life is too short!

Mazz

As far as battery life I have a Seiko Prospex Perpetual calander that is supposed to have an 8 year battery life.

WebWind

... and is reliable, accurate, can save you lot of troubles + some other "soulless advantages".