Sign in to follow this  
eriperi

AP Diver Forged Carbon, Automatic winder does not seem to work, can I check this myself?

eriperi

My AP Diver, looks very good, wears very good but it perform well as a watch, it does not seem to have any power reserve. If I handwind it, depending on how much it will run well for a couple of hours. But it does not matter wether I wear it or not, it will run for a couple of hours and it will never ever run more than 5, 6 maybe 7 hours. It just stops until I handwind it again. You kinda look stupid wearing a supposedly expensive watch that does not display the proper time.

I actually think that the automatic winder does not work, listening to it it sounds like the rotor is not able to rotate the same way my other automatic watches rotate. The problem with this watch is that you cannot see the movement without opening the case

Is it easy to check the automatic winder of this watch (opening the back) without scratching it or damaging it otherwise?

Edited by eriperi

tomtom1988

Probably a loose rotor, either way I'm sure with a full wind it should last more than 5 hours? How many times do you wind it?

RepGuy

Before I continue, let me say that I am no watch repair expert, and only tinker with mine to make small changes/adjustments. With that being said:

I would suggest, if you're comfortable, removing the case back to take a look at the watches rotor (the part that should be auto winding when worn). The rotor will be on the outermost part of the movement, so no need to take any parts of the movement out. With the caseback off, and holding the watch so the back is facing the sky, lightly shake the watch to simulate if,it was on your wrist during the day. Check to see if the rotor spins, and if not, you know that is the cause of your problem. It could also have to do with a bad power reserve, but checking that goes beyond the scope of what I know. Either eay, if you suspect anything wrong, send the watch out for repair to a TD watch smith, or a local watch smith that you know is comfortable working on reps.

Casebacks are fairly simple to remove, and only require one tool, which many times can be purchased fairly cheaply. Just taking the caseback off shouldn't cause any problems or damage the watch any further.