Sign in to follow this  
greg_r

Omega PloProf 21J (v1.5 / 2)

greg_r

Okay, the suppaparts mesh arrived - and only just in time as the cheapie mesh I was originally using was starting to come apart. Going to bin it.

Anyhow, fitted the Omega clasp to the new mesh and it's now on the watch. Big improvement looks-wise. My only criticism is that this version of the plop comes with the v1 clasp, which means that the micro-adjuster tends to slip. I've got the mesh sized so that I don't really need the micro-adjuster, but it's still not quite perfect. Minor detail though - it certainly looks the part and the bracelet is very comfortable, being a lot more flexible than the one I had on this watch at first.

Here's a few more pics on the new bracelet:

ploprof_mesh2_110311.jpg

ploprof_mesh2_110311_2.jpg

ploprof_mesh2_clasp_110311.jpg

This watch is certainly growing on me big time - the more gen-like bracelet is a big help in that regard. Have nothing but praise for the mesh itself - heavyweight, very well made and excellent value at only $50 shipped ( http://www.suppaparts.com ). Only took 4 days to get here too!

Edit: :D just noticed that I overshot the date when I set the watch this morning. It's the 11th not the 12th, honest! :D

KeNnY

Greg is a superman ! He can travel trough time ! So I don't bite your EDIT :lol::D

Great with that strap !!! I also have it on my, and I love it also ! :lol: We must create our selves an Ploprof Club :D

Del

Looks very nice greg :lol:.

When you say that you have sized the mesh, have you cut sections out? It doesn't look like there are any removable links in that mesh.

Do you think you might use the same mesh on your SOHv2?

KeNnY

there there are removable pins on that strap, it is that metal thingy, just look closer :lol:

Del

Thanks kenny. I just checked it on the suppaparts website and I can see the removable links better now - looks like greg's removed them all though :lol:.

KeNnY
Thanks kenny. I just checked it on the suppaparts website and I can see the removable links better now - looks like greg's removed them all though :D.

not all, he has left the one on the front and on the back :lol: I removed also one from front, because I have smaller wrist than Greg.. And I have compensated the missing mm in cut mesh with small screws, to have full 20mm. I have posted a picture , but it is not that good visible, but I will repost here again, hope you could see the metal parts :lol:

s6301400.jpg

s6301401.jpg

greg_r
Thanks kenny. I just checked it on the suppaparts website and I can see the removable links better now - looks like greg's removed them all though :lol:.

Not quite - there's a link hidden in the clasp - I moved the microadjuster in a bit when I set up the photo as it looks better that way. I've also used half a link (the solid metal part) to fill out the way the bracelet fits to the clasp at one end otherwise it tends to slop about a bit.

If the clasp didn't slip so badly I'd probably have left at least one more link in there, but I tried to set it up so that I didn't have to use the microadjuster at all in normal wear.

Note that the bracelet is longer than average. If your wrist is much less than about 7.5" you might find that there's not enough adjustment. It's great quality though - much better than anything else you'll find at this kind of price.

The only negative I would have about putting one of these things on my SOH is that the lug end of the mesh is open, vintage style, rather than enclosed like the gen SOH bracelet. It's right for the Omega, but I'm not sure whether that would bug me or not on the SOH.

Conversely the Staib mesh is closer to the correct finish (highly polished), has enclosed lug ends but won't fit the Breitling clasp as it doesn't taper. It's also at least double the price...

Del

Thanks kenny and greg :lol:.

It looks great and for only $50 it is incredible value too. With the Omega clasp and the adjustments made it looks like it was made for the PloProf :D.

This is not a watch that I will be buying though due to the size of my girly wrists :D:lol:

KeNnY
Thanks kenny and greg :lol:.

It looks great and for only $50 it is incredible value too. With the Omega clasp and the adjustments made it looks like it was made for the PloProf :rolleyes:.

This is not a watch that I will be buying though due to the size of my girly wrists :D:lol:

noo that should not stop you !!! look at this, if he can wear this, so can you !

PIC- sorry can find suitable one :D

greg_r

Hey, they can't be that girly if you're comfortable with the SOH. That's not a small watch :lol:

Del
Hey, they can't be that girly if you're comfortable with the SOH. That's not a small watch :lol:

I wear the SOH on top of my jumper :lol: (maybe I'll try a PloP at some point then :D)

Baldrick
The only negative I would have about putting one of these things on my SOH is that the lug end of the mesh is open, vintage style, rather than enclosed like the gen SOH bracelet. It's right for the Omega, but I'm not sure whether that would bug me or not on the SOH.

@greg, this mesh isn't suitable for the SOH, for the reasons you state, the lug hoods on the PP hide the open-ended mesh, the SOH is an open ended lug design, therefore this would look terrible on an SOH, but when you attach it to the PP it brings the watch to life, very comfortable and great quality. :)

PS, I have a V1 clasp and there's no slippage, but then again I had no delamination either and I've been in the pool with mine, go figure :)

@Del, wait until I come home in May and you can have a shufty at mine !

Del
@Del, wait until I come home in May and you can have a shufty at mine !

Deal! :)

greg_r
PS, I have a V1 clasp and there's no slippage, but then again I had no delamination either and I've been in the pool with mine, go figure :)

You're lucky - this clasp slips every time I move. Fortunately I can get it to just about the right length without needing the microadjuster, but I think I might end up doing a little work on it to try and get it to stay put.

You're right, though, this bracelet brings the watch to life. I wasn't 100% sure about the plop until I switched bracelets, but it's definitely a keeper now :)

Baldrick

@greg , you're obviously a midget, I've still got 2x of my adjusting links attached and the internal adjuster is about 1/4 from the clasp end :D

KeNnY

Hoooaah, Baldrick, I hope also that I will not have de-lamination problem ! :D but my microadjusting system holds quite well also ! It only will loose a bit, if it pull it really hard.

greg_r
@greg , you're obviously a midget, I've still got 2x of my adjusting links attached and the internal adjuster is about 1/4 from the clasp end :(

Well either you're retaining water in your old age, or your mesh has shrunk in the pool! ;)

;)

Seriously, though, my wrist is somewhere between 7.5 and 7.75". Go figure :D

thorne

Hi Greg,

I'm about to pick up one of these. Since this model still has a two piece laminated glass (although apparently better sealed than the older model), have you experienced any delamination issues with yours yet?

The only single glass sapphire available is on the Ultimate model, but if the delamination issues have been solved with this model,it seems like a fantastic buy for the money.

greg_r

Had no problems at all. Are you sure about the two-piece crystal?

digger2

Hi

I would be glad if someone could answer some of or all questions below

Does this version (USD 148) have a laminated crystal or is it solid?

Does the crystal have the same size as in the V1 version?

The Timesshop 98 USD version, is that a V1?

greg_r

The timesshop £98 version is a v1 - not really worth having as it's pretty inaccurate. When I bought mine, only the cartel were selling this version. It's probably more generally available by now, though.

stolikat

Has anyone tried to wear this on their right hand. I like the ploprof but don't think that this can be worn on the right wrist. Opinions?

digger2
Has anyone tried to wear this on their right hand. I like the ploprof but don't think that this can be worn on the right wrist. Opinions?

If you are a "handy man" you can "turn it around" and make it destro

Here is a picture of my destro V1 before I completly messed it up

Ploprof2.jpg

thorne
Had no problems at all. Are you sure about the two-piece crystal?

Have confirmed with about 4 dealers (all trusted either here/other forums) that the cheap version (read 21j, approx 148$) has a two piece laminated crystal. But it is apparently better sealed than the V1's. Dial has no happy feet and the back has a serial number. So this is the upgraded V1 or could possibly call it a V1.5

Single piece sapphire is only available on the V2 Ult as of now. I couldn't justify the extra just for a two piece caseback,working bezel lock and the single glass,so I've paid up for the 21j. No doubt the movement is great on the V2 but I see this as more of a weekend watch so in my case the wrist time won't justify the 200$+ price tag for the V2

thorne

I only wear my watches on the right wrist, but having said that, I only wear Pams,where the crown guard is on the right. Never had a destro Pam which might have put me in a better position to answer your question. When I get my Ploprof, will let you know exactly how comfortable/uncomfortable it is.