Sign in to follow this  
purger72

Winder box or not?

purger72

Just wonder is it better to keep automatic watch going in winder box or to pull crown out and leave it like that till next time I want wear the watch?

Daffy

There are a couple of ways to look at it... If you want the convenience of "grab and go", and you don't care if you are adding wear and tear, then by all means. The other school of thought is that having a movement running and winding continuously shortens the life span. I have also read that keeping a watch running is better for it than sitting for extended periods without any use. Kind of like a car that sits for a couple of years will have a lot more issues than one which is driven daily.

RUSH2112
There are a couple of ways to look at it... If you want the convenience of "grab and go", and you don't care if you are adding wear and tear, then by all means. The other school of thought is that having a movement running and winding continuously shortens the life span. I have also read that keeping a watch running is better for it than sitting for extended periods without any use. Kind of like a car that sits for a couple of years will have a lot more issues than one which is driven daily.

The car analogy is good but the winder box is better compared to a car that is never turned off, not operated daily.

Monkey_Business

I love winders, but you'll be sure to lower the life expectancy and increase the watche's service needs :)

EDIT;

I've used a winder for some time, but gradually converted my morning ritual to setting the time of my chosen watch over a morning cup of coffee :)

onionbag

Watches.........I pick 'em up, wind 'em and off I go down t' pit.

Winders.....owned 'em, switched 'em off, binned 'em.

BadPickle

There is a winder which actually alters the date when required too, it works on a radio frequency GPS type signal which increases the spin speed of your winder to skip the 31st of each month when necessary, September, April, June and November have always been seen as problem months for watch winder developers, but with new technology they've managed to combat these issues with the automated speed increase.

February however is a completely different story, to skip that many days at once is deemed to be a little dangerous, the added friction on the main jewell at the required speed has on occasion been known to start a small fire inside the case, so thats still in the design process.. but hey, setting your watch once a year isn't so bad.

i do believe one of the moderators "Andyboy" has been involved in the prototype design of the winder, i'm sure he won't mind sharing the information if you shoot him a PM :D

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showuser=40951

Daywatch

No winder box and don´t pull out the crown, oils will dry faster.

As long as You use them/ pick them up once per day the reps will run fine even if not on the wrist. It´s no problem to keep 3 or 4 going.

The winder is more for show/ fun.

Most cheap winders develop problems fast, are noisy and may drop, burn, fall off.... not exposing my reps to more risks. Having an

expensive/ exquisite one for show is nice, like any decorative object or piece of art.

onionbag

andyboy, aka Heath Robinson.

The prototype drawing has just been issued.

v0_master.jpg

purger72

Thanks guys, I don't need winder for decor , I guess the est is to swap watches around on daily bases and just wear them.

greg_r

Bah - Amateurs. THIS is the Acme date-altering Watchwinder. It will make the dial glow too (with or without lume).

wtfmachine.jpg

purger72

Lol, think I've ordered one of these ;p

splke

no man don't do it its like putting miles on your car whilst its stood on your drive

enjoy the setting process it is part of the hobby (or biy a few Quartz for when you don't have the time)

Peace x

BadPickle
Lol, think I've ordered one of these ;p

Andyboy can probably get you discount if you ask him

purger72

Won't get the winder, just swap them around , so far only used Quartz watches and got plenty of those. Closest to auto movement is my Seiko kinetics but those with new lithium ion capacitor hold charge up to 6 months.

Left Coast Guy

Don't pull the crowns either. A mechanical watch is powered by a spring......if you keep a spring under tension it will lose some of its tension over time. You're just aging your watches artificially by doing that...

I'd suggest reading up on care and maintenance on mechanical watches in general. It seems more often then not, when folks report issues around here.....they are "user" errors, not faulty machinery -- you're best served by making sure you're not in that crowd.

Moondustesp

My live in a box. Used winders but the novelty wore off :(