Sign in to follow this  
Mlp86

What gen for investment?

Harkin Banks

Personally I am buying what I like and what I think will hold value. That also happens to be what I think will be future classics, Rolex, Omega and Tudor tritium dials that will age well and are solid enough for me to wear on a daily basis. All are over 20 years old. You won't turn a quick profit with these but you won't lose money either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Harkin Banks

ColdFusi0n

I do know people who are collectors cum private dealers who have a great passion for watch. Collecting watches and making money out of them. Why i say grey dealer, example now im a watch lover. I have 50k to invest in watches. I would advertise buy back for luxury watches that beats the local dealer. Example a 116610 Hulk is priced at 10k here, someone with a hulk wants to sell it. A typical shop dealer would offer anywhere between 7000-7600 buy back. I would offer 9000. So when we meet for a deal, i will try to find some faults with it and bargain down to 8500-8800. If the seller is in urgent need of cash he would accept the offer straight away because its still higher then what shop dealers offer. So i have a hulk at 8500 which i will enjoy wearing everyday at the same time set the bait advertise it for 9500. Note that i wont be in any hurry to sell. I can keep it too becauss im a collector first, then a dealer. So if anyone offers me the right price i could easily make a $1000 profit. That is called investment.

If i simply buy the hulk at $10,000 retail price, its not an investment at all. Just a way to materialize your money. 10k in the bank or 10k on the wrist is no different. Rolex always keep its value.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

myaz

Rolex 14060m for me, 3 years on and it's been valued at £1k more than I paid for it :D

P1000318_zpsd1fbf882.jpg

Many people make a living buying and selling stuff they know well, from watches to cars to collectibles. The rest of us get taken or luck into a deal.

You do have a beaut and may have a made a good deal depending upon what you paid for it. In truth, it's a great deal for you because you're not selling.

However, the value assigned to watches (and anything else, including grandma's china) is not necessarily what you would get for it. Right now, best price I found for a 14060M (fine, with box) is $4,603. Means the dealer paid LESS than that for it. Average used retail price is more like 5-6K. At the opposite end of the spectrum, I found an ad for a new one for 7.7K. Of course, the average bloke wouldn't care about the "M" (Modified with a full balance bridge) and go for the look of the cheapest sub or sub wannabe.

Therefore, in a hypothetical sale, you would get that lower trade in value from a dealer if you needed a quick sale. You could get more with a consignment. Lastly you could market it yourself for the highest return, possibly sit on it a long time because there are tons available, notwithstanding the ever present risk of being taken.

If you have hundreds of watches you sell day in and day out and have a business sense, you'll do well. If you just have a couple watches, maybe it's fun to dabble into resales and make a few bucks, but as investments, there are easier ways to make money doing things you know.

sammysmiths

Similar to the post above, I bought a Rolex 14060 (pre-M). 1999 A serial, and the last year in this format. 2 liner face. I bought it off a RWG seller and the watch was faulty. Fully boxed with papers, the watch cost me just over £2200 shipped to the UK.

Sent the watch for a service to an authorised Rolex repairer, cost £300. The watch is now worth approx. double my purchase price. I researched this watch heavily and realised the last year serial number and change to 14060M and face and case size change would make it more desireable. I fully believe it is increasing in value year by year.

DSC_0189.jpg

WP_20140709_0011.jpg

I also bought a Ball Master Engineer Aviator II and had it shipped from USA. Saved a few hundred quid so it might return what I paid for it, but I bought it as I love the style and brand. Not as an investment.

On a similar note, I bought a partly restored 1960 VW Beetle, completed the resto and its now worth more than double what I paid (including resto costs).

With the right research, and if you are willing to take a bit of a gamble on faulty goods, there are bargains to be had.

Edited by sammysmiths

myaz

On a similar note, I bought a partly restored 1960 VW Beetle, completed the resto and its now worth more than double what I paid (including resto costs).

With the right research, and if you are willing to take a bit of a gamble on faulty goods, there are bargains to be had.

Very well played, for both the rollie and the bug.

Plenty have bought cars, houses, etc. hoping for a quick flip and totally misjudged resto costs. Congrats to you on doing it right with research and all. :thumbsup2:

In a similar vein and many years ago, a neighbor gave me his VW bug after the engine blew. I guess he wanted to save on towing fees, the car was pretty much well worn all over. Not worth the hassle for me nowadays but back then, being young and broke, I pulled the engine out, engines were simpler in that day, replaced a blown cylinder (they simply bolt on and off like in a radial) and got a little money out of it to help finance college. It could have had a lot more issues but luck was with me.

sammysmiths
DSC_0155-tiltshift.jpg