Sign in to follow this  
Stormcrow

Good evening from the UK

Stormcrow

Evening all,

I am very happy to found such a useful community while searching through google.

I have managed to spend the last few hours browsing through the most useful forum posts. I look forward to being an active member of this community.

I have a small question... not sure if I should be asking here... I am trying to find a watch. Have browsed through the trusted retailers, but can't seem to find it.

Can anyone help? The IWC Portuguese

qNjvK.jpg

If I'm out of place asking here, please do tell me,

Stormcrow

pollux1

Mate the Porto is available but the MVT is a bomb waiting to go off. Seconds at six is a bit of a nightmare but if you're determined to have one there's a guy on the forums can supply the gen MVT for em although it's bloody expensive.

Stormcrow
Mate the Porto is available but the MVT is a bomb waiting to go off. Seconds at six is a bit of a nightmare but if you're determined to have one there's a guy on the forums can supply the gen MVT for em although it's bloody expensive.

Thanks for your response.

I'm learning already. I hope I'm right in assuming the MVT is the movement?

I'll take you advice and stay away! :)

Guess I'll browse for others... any personal reccomendations?#

EDIT: I was thinking IWC or Jaeger-LeCoultre...

Edited by Stormcrow

Fiddo

Hello! :)

Welcome!

Member X

Just to be clear, Pollux is referring to the Portuguese 3714 models that have subdials at 12 and 6, rather than the one you posted with subdials at 9 and 3 - I am sure I've seen the model you've pictured on one of the Trusted Dealer's websites...

Have a browse and see what you can find! :)

If you let us know what sort of budget you have we can advise on options - there are several reasonably priced IWCs that are nice (though not to my taste!) and there is a stunning JLC Tourbillon that Skathewatch has reviewed, which is $500+. You should have plenty of options! :)

pollux1

IWC- go for the Aquatimer range but not the 09 versions cos they're shit, PVD should be rubber clad ffs. A personal favourite of mine is the 3717 it's a great rep. Tbh I may sell one or two reps to fund a gen movement for the Aquatimer but only if I can get it lumed too.

Stormcrow
Just to be clear, Pollux is referring to the Portuguese 3714 models that have subdials at 12 and 6, rather than the one you posted with subdials at 9 and 3 - I am sure I've seen the model you've pictured on one of the Trusted Dealer's websites...

Have a browse and see what you can find! :)

If you let us know what sort of budget you have we can advise on options - there are several reasonably priced IWCs that are nice (though not to my taste!) and there is a stunning JLC Tourbillon that Skathewatch has reviewed, which is $500+. You should have plenty of options! :)

Thank you Member X and Pollux for your responses.

I am looking to spend about $160 on a replica. This would be my first rep.

I don't mind going for any brand, but I really like the thin, and elegant looks of IWC and Jaeger-LeCoultre watches.

Something along those lines would be great.

Once again, thank you for your advice!

Member X

Mary's got quite a good selection on her site:

http://www.watch-international.com/index.p...ex&cPath=62

See what you think and post in this thread when you've found one you like, and we can offer opinions :)

Don't forget to factor in shipping to your finances - usually it's $10 Airmail (untracked and sometimes slower) or around $30 EMS (it's trackable and usually arrives within 2 weeks max). If you ship EMS, the dealers usually will replace watches that are lost / seized, but it rarely happens so it's not that much of an issue - depends on how much comfort blanke you want! (I like mine :) lol)

Stormcrow
Mary's got quite a good selection on her site:

http://www.watch-international.com/index.p...ex&cPath=62

See what you think and post in this thread when you've found one you like, and we can offer opinions :)

Don't forget to factor in shipping to your finances - usually it's $10 Airmail (untracked and sometimes slower) or around $30 EMS (it's trackable and usually arrives within 2 weeks max). If you ship EMS, the dealers usually will replace watches that are lost / seized, but it rarely happens so it's not that much of an issue - depends on how much comfort blanke you want! (I like mine :) lol)

wow! thank you for taking the time to respond, i appreciate it.

I'm looking for an everyday watch, will browse.

Thanks for your offer, will post back here :)

EDIT: Member X, I understand that the choice of watch is very much down to personal choice and what each person prefers. I've had a look in you signature and really like the style of watches.

Could you perhaps suggest 2 or 3? If Im out of place, please do say.

Thanks.

Edited by Stormcrow

Member X

I always forget I have a signature, I have them turned off in my User Settings :)

If you want something a bit dressy, you could choose the Portuguese 1939 that I've reviewed in the IWC section of this forum, like this one.

http://www.watch-international.com/index.p...roducts_id=3078

Handwind, so simple and pretty bombproof if you're not clumsy or heavyhanded lol, and has great anti-reflective (AR) coating on the crystal. It's also a bit of a bargain for the quality! It comes in Stainless Steel (SS) , which I prefer, and also with a black dial too. Mary should be able to get all of the versions if you want one :)

These ones also look quite nice:

http://www.watch-international.com/index.p...roducts_id=3214

but I am unsure of the quality. The sunken datewheel in this pic:

35b2349213c38f326dd5def103435128.image.733x550.jpg

doesn't look great...

Lay also has a nice selection:

http://www.replicamake88.com/categories/IWC/PORTUGESE/

but the $288 ones which look nicest (in my opinion) are the ones with the movement that is a ticking timebomb...

MarvellousReplica has quite a wide selection that includes the other models that quite a few people like :)

http://www.marvellousreplica.com/ProductList.aspx?TypeID=738

Top Gun, 3717, Ingeniur, FA Jones... all are different!

There's no rush though, I doubt any of the above will run out soon so keep on reading and you'll be able to confidently buy what you like!

Ooh, check out the Glasshutte Senator Sixties too - a loveley dressy watch at a good price, if not quite perfect!

Stormcrow
I always forget I have a signature, I have them turned off in my User Settings :)

If you want something a bit dressy, you could choose the Portuguese 1939 that I've reviewed in the IWC section of this forum, like this one.

http://www.watch-international.com/index.p...roducts_id=3078

Handwind, so simple and pretty bombproof if you're not clumsy or heavyhanded lol, and has great anti-reflective (AR) coating on the crystal. It's also a bit of a bargain for the quality! It comes in Stainless Steel (SS) , which I prefer, and also with a black dial too. Mary should be able to get all of the versions if you want one :)

These ones also look quite nice:

http://www.watch-international.com/index.p...roducts_id=3214

but I am unsure of the quality. The sunken datewheel in this pic:

35b2349213c38f326dd5def103435128.image.733x550.jpg

doesn't look great...

Lay also has a nice selection:

http://www.replicamake88.com/categories/IWC/PORTUGESE/

but the $288 ones which look nicest (in my opinion) are the ones with the movement that is a ticking timebomb...

MarvellousReplica has quite a wide selection that includes the other models that quite a few people like :)

http://www.marvellousreplica.com/ProductList.aspx?TypeID=738

Top Gun, 3717, Ingeniur, FA Jones... all are different!

There's no rush though, I doubt any of the above will run out soon so keep on reading and you'll be able to confidently buy what you like!

Ooh, check out the Glasshutte Senator Sixties too - a loveley dressy watch at a good price, if not quite perfect!

I like both the IWC 1939 and the Glasshutte Senator Sixties. My final descision will probably be based on what is the better quality. Any advice on that?

The picture you posted is nice, but put off by the sunken date wheel.

Also, from reading your review, I understand they come with poor quality straps? Is buying a replacement suggested?

Thanks again.

Member X

Nearly all reps come with poor quality leather straps that are decidedly plasticky - swapping to a genuine strap for the watch makes a massive difference but is very expensive (usually!) so aftermarket straps off one of the many strap sellers on the internet or boards is the way most people go :)

Ebay has sellers or check out the straps section on here to get some ideas of costs. They are usually listed by their width at the lugs, where they join the watch (e.g. Panerai are usually 24mm or 26mm but dressy watches are usually 20mm or 22mm) but sometimes they taper to thinner at the buckle, when they'll be listed as 20/18, for example.

As for quality on the 1939 and Sixties, both are relative bargains in rep world, although neither are strictly accurate due to slightly different sizes (and being handwinds, I think! lol) but you're unlikely to ever meet anyone wearing the same watch or really knowing the details of what they're looking at, so don't worry too much :)

Both have their merits but the 1939 is a bit larger, so it depends on what size you like to wear! The movements on both of mine are a bit 'sticky' and need to be wound slowly, but you could get it serviced for about £50-60 by one of the watchsmiths on the boards if you really liked it! The movements in the 1939 are pretty bombproof though so should last a decent time before needing any servicing.

I think I would go for the 1939 if I was buying again - it feels slightly better build quality than the Sixties. But the Sixties does look so understated and classy... (and is still acceptably sturdy).

Decisions, decisions! :lol:

Del

Hello and welcome :lol:

Stormcrow
Nearly all reps come with poor quality leather straps that are decidedly plasticky - swapping to a genuine strap for the watch makes a massive difference but is very expensive (usually!) so aftermarket straps off one of the many strap sellers on the internet or boards is the way most people go :lol:

Ebay has sellers or check out the straps section on here to get some ideas of costs. They are usually listed by their width at the lugs, where they join the watch (e.g. Panerai are usually 24mm or 26mm but dressy watches are usually 20mm or 22mm) but sometimes they taper to thinner at the buckle, when they'll be listed as 20/18, for example.

As for quality on the 1939 and Sixties, both are relative bargains in rep world, although neither are strictly accurate due to slightly different sizes (and being handwinds, I think! lol) but you're unlikely to ever meet anyone wearing the same watch or really knowing the details of what they're looking at, so don't worry too much :D

Both have their merits but the 1939 is a bit larger, so it depends on what size you like to wear! The movements on both of mine are a bit 'sticky' and need to be wound slowly, but you could get it serviced for about £50-60 by one of the watchsmiths on the boards if you really liked it! The movements in the 1939 are pretty bombproof though so should last a decent time before needing any servicing.

I think I would go for the 1939 if I was buying again - it feels slightly better build quality than the Sixties. But the Sixties does look so understated and classy... (and is still acceptably sturdy).

Decisions, decisions! :lol:

You are a real help! Thank you once again!

EDIT: will keep looking, thanks again

EDIT 2: I think I have decided to go for the IWC Vintage. I really like the one you suggested from watch-international.

I would prefer the black one.

I dont like the back, it doesnt appear convincing. I have a question, if I may, you have reviewed a smiliar watch, how does it look?

f9Mdd.pngTciQt.jpg

I might strech to another watch of the same budjet, what entry level braclet replica would you recommend? Again, I understand each watch is individual, but I have liked all the ones you suggested so far.

Thanks again! :yoda:

Edited by Stormcrow

wombosi

Welcome mate! :lol:

Member X
EDIT 2: I think I have decided to go for the IWC Vintage. I really like the one you suggested from watch-international.

I would prefer the black one.

I dont like the back, it doesnt appear convincing. I have a question, if I may, you have reviewed a smiliar watch, how does it look?

f9Mdd.pngTciQt.jpg

I might strech to another watch of the same budjet, what entry level braclet replica would you recommend? Again, I understand each watch is individual, but I have liked all the ones you suggested so far.

Thanks again! :)

The black one looks equally good as the one I have, there was a thread on RWG2 with pics that looked great. The subdial printing is also more consistent on the black dial versions. Don't worry about the back, people can't see it when it's on the wrist ;) and it's pretty rare 'in the wild' so I doubt people will know what they're looking at if you do take it off and hand it over for any reason.

If you're not fussed about having a completely accurate sweep, you could get a 21j movement Rolex datejust for about $120, I think. Or if you want an accurate sweep, look into the Timeshops Rolex special offer thread on here - you can get an asian clone ETA Submariner (non-ceramic bezel) for around $100 :) You will struggle to get an accurate sweep movement for that price other than that offer!

Stormcrow
The black one looks equally good as the one I have, there was a thread on RWG2 with pics that looked great. The subdial printing is also more consistent on the black dial versions. Don't worry about the back, people can't see it when it's on the wrist :lmao2: and it's pretty rare 'in the wild' so I doubt people will know what they're looking at if you do take it off and hand it over for any reason.

If you're not fussed about having a completely accurate sweep, you could get a 21j movement Rolex datejust for about $120, I think. Or if you want an accurate sweep, look into the Timeshops Rolex special offer thread on here - you can get an asian clone ETA Submariner (non-ceramic bezel) for around $100 :thumbsup2: You will struggle to get an accurate sweep movement for that price other than that offer!

Thank you again! I am going to put the IWC on hold. Man this is soo addictive - I haven't even purchased my first rep and am thinking of buying my second!!!!!! I can now understand everyones comments on here.

I will be making a purchase of timeshops special offer Rolex. Which in this thread looks the closest to the gen do you think?

I have read this guide on mvmts but still unsure - considering this will be my main watch and I want it to be as genuinue as possible, without wasting money, what MVT would you suggest?

p.s. I love your watch collection pics!

Edited by Stormcrow

Member X

That's not all of them, either lol

It is a small collection compared to many, though!!

Re: movements, generally speaking if it's a Rolex you will need ETA or clone ETA to look authentic.

I have replied on the other thread re options :huh: