Sign in to follow this  
_DC_

Just in from Tim at WatchFinder. Patek 5396(ish)

_DC_

This is another one that I've spent months going back and forth on. The 5396 (pictured below) is one of my all time favourite Pateks, and there was a rep a while back (I did a DC review on it somewhere in the Patek section) but it wasn't the best quality and I sold it, which I now regret as it has since stopped being produced. I tried to buy it back but let's just say it had been involved in a little accident and was no longer viable lol!

The Patek 5396

905C4CCE-ADE1-4118-88D4-7161DEB0575B_zpsj3gljvnh.jpg

My previous 5396 rep

B3D770EB-546C-4B12-9454-0D612EADD621_zpsvvwj1pxf.jpg

Like I said it wasn't a high quality rep but it embodied the 5396, the only thing I really disliked about it was the sunburst dial which isn't a feature of the gen.

So when I saw there was a new rep (ish) of the 5396 I was keen. But that's where the "ish" comes in. It's the right case, right size, right hands and markers and dial has a slightly metallic sheen rather than sunburst just like it should. BUT... it doesn't actually have the calendar function. It's just a moonphase with the date around the outside of the moonphase. Hence I didn't pounce straight away. But nothing better has come along and I've kept looking at it so I decided to take the plunge and see what it was like. And it's really rather nice, so I think I'll keep it until a better one comes along...

EF30E6A0-1B39-421C-979C-E65372250293_zpsayxtgudn.jpg

9DADDAEC-5AB4-4AE5-8A76-564A4E20BD4B_zpswnmgdl4m.jpg

She's very pretty and nice movement (don't mind the added thickness on this one as the gen is a little thick too due to the calendar complication)!

What do you lot reckon?!?

DC

964boy

Looks very smart Mr.

Robin195959

It's a lovely looker DC. Everyone should have a moon-phase in their collection. Which reminds me I haven't.

Time bandit

Nice watch,

fustrating perhaps the replicators need to do there homework, is it down to school boy errors ,, they would sell shit loads more

Mr_B

I like it DC, so is it a fantasy model?

NodgerRocks
It's a lovely looker DC. Everyone should have a moon-phase in their collection. Which reminds me I haven't.

Bloody good point, I totally need a moon-phase! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

_DC_

Technically I guess so, but for god sake don't tell chase0224 :rofl: although frankly I'm past giving a damn :P

DC

S.Corbeil

Although it's a shame it lacks the month and day windows, I really love this model! I think the case, lugs and crown look more like the gen! The overall finish, although fantasy-ish, make me want to add it to the "to buy" list!

chase0224

Technically I guess so, but for god sake don't tell chase0224 :rofl: although frankly I'm past giving a damn :P

DC

Yeah I prefer my fantasy ;)

IMG_0816_zpspwoozu3h.jpg

k3rm87

Beautiful!

_DC_
where did you get this one?

Don't be fooled Roger, looks ok from that angle but there was a whole thread about it and the general consensus was that it was a turd lol! This did not go down well with our friend Chase!!

DC

chase0224
where did you get this one?

Don't be fooled Roger, looks ok from that angle but there was a whole thread about it and the general consensus was that it was a turd lol! This did not go down well with our friend Chase!!

DC

DC, how could you possibly comment on the quality of a watch that you have never earned nor held in person? Ive owned these watches for about a month now and can say that they are in fact well made watches. The build quality and quality control on these is much better than my $350 BP 5980 nautilus, hence why I just sold my 5980. The bracelet is not as visually accurate as the BP bracelet, but it is by far a better made bracelet. In my 5712 bracelet there are no link gaps, the bracelet is sturdy (not rattly like the BP), and doesn't randomly pop open like the BP bracelet. The dials markers on my 5712's are perfectly placed, this was not the case with my 5980 nautilus. The 5980 nautilus had crooked markers and a huge gap between the 12 oclock markers, which is not the case for the 5712's. They are also to my surprise actually 40mm and no more than 10mm in width. Oh and did I mention that EVERY complication works, including the moonphase. If you are a patek collector you are seriously missing out if you don't own these watches, talk shit on them all you want, but I have never been more satisfied with any of my rep purchases.

chase0224

and just to set the record straight these are not the same as the older rep versions lol

Phantomtech

DC, how could you possibly comment on the quality of a watch that you have never earned nor held in person? Ive owned these watches for about a month now and can say that they are in fact well made watches. The build quality and quality control on these is much better than my $350 BP 5980 nautilus, hence why I just sold my 5980. The bracelet is not as visually accurate as the BP bracelet, but it is by far a better made bracelet. In my 5712 bracelet there are no link gaps, the bracelet is sturdy (not rattly like the BP), and doesn't randomly pop open like the BP bracelet. The dials markers on my 5712's are perfectly placed, this was not the case with my 5980 nautilus. The 5980 nautilus had crooked markers and a huge gap between the 12 oclock markers, which is not the case for the 5712's. They are also to my surprise actually 40mm and no more than 10mm in width. Oh and did I mention that EVERY complication works, including the moonphase. If you are a patek collector you are seriously missing out if you don't own these watches, talk shit on them all you want, but I have never been more satisfied with any of my rep purchases.

You can't possibly come here and say all that without giving us some live photos?!! Let's see what you're actually talking about, not just some shitty dealer photos like in the original thread....

chase0224

My bad lol

IMG_4599_zpsduhz7lfh.jpgIMG_5801_zpskupstgvu.jpg

Ignore my hairiness!

_DC_

Please let's not get into this in my 5396(ish) thread, take it elsewhere chase! You're more than welcome to start your own thread where you can wank over your 5712s and talk shit about me as much as you like, but don't do it here ok?!

DC

chase0224

Not once have I talked shit on you in this thread, in fact you were the one who brought this up lol I'm just posting pics for those who asked, so here's another.

IMG_1642_zpse265qoll.jpg

_DC_

Not in this thread you haven't no, can't say the same for previous threads I'm afraid, you were nothing short of rude last time, and you seem determined to remain an irritant here.

Start you own thread and I'd be very interested to see proof of this 10mm thickness there, in you own thread. As thus far you have contributed nothing to this community, not even a VIP member!!!

DC

chase0224

You called me out in this thread....then you call the watch a "turd". Someone asked for me to post pics so I did and you get upset over it. Whats your deal man?

_DC_

Actually I said the consensus was that it was a turd, which is an accurate representation of the other thread, I didn't say it was a turd, but if you can't get on board with people making a joke at your expense then you shouldn't be here. There's a difference between making a joke and openly attempting to discredit a member of the community who has actually contributed, which is what you were doing. But I can assure you I'm far from upset chase, my toys remain firmly in my pram. I'm glad you like your watches, enjoy them!!

Still can't be arsed to contribute with your own thread though no?!?

DC

Phantomtech

Actually I said the consensus was that it was a turd, which is an accurate representation of the other thread, I didn't say it was a turd, but if you can't get on board with people making a joke at your expense then you shouldn't be here. There's a difference between making a joke and openly attempting to discredit a member of the community who has actually contributed, which is what you were doing. But I can assure you I'm far from upset chase, my toys remain firmly in my pram. I'm glad you like your watches, enjoy them!!

Still can't be arsed to contribute with your own thread though no?!?

DC

My apologies DC, I shouldn't have asked him for the photos here in this thread. Hopefully he will start his own thread soon and we can debate the issue further there ;)