Sign in to follow this  
black263

I Accidentally bought a Fossil Q54 Pilot Smartwatch (Well, mildly intelligent)

black263

While taking Jordan to her Uni, we had some time free in Portsmouth, and accidentally walked into the Fossil shop. Clare pounced on a new bag, while I was looking at the watches. I really liked the look of this one, and at a price of £105 (35% reduction) decided to go for it.

foss1_zpsml9vkzus.jpg

It was only after I'd said I'd have it that the assistant told me it was actually a Smart Watch. Turns out it's the normal 54 Pilot watch, with the caseback replaced by an electronic module that links with your smartphone and does some very basic things.

foss2_zps8y6sql5r.jpg

foss5_zpsm4flik2q.jpg

With the Fossil App, it acts as a Pedometer, and is also capable of giving a vibration and visual alert for things such as calls, texts, and other notifications. You can select a variety of vibration patterns, although I can't tell the difference, and there are two LEDs which shine from under it with different colours that can be set up via the app depending on the type of notification. The lights are on for such a short time, however, that by the time you feel the vibration and look at the wrist, they've gone out, so I've set it up to simply vibrate when a call or text comes through. Can't be arsed with anything else. There is no control function on the watch itself, (it's not that smart) and all setup is done via the phone. It's got a decent range, and while I was upstairs at home, it gave me a warning that I'd received a text while the phone was downstairs. So it may be useful. Time will tell (See what I did there?)

It comes with an induction charger that is supposed to sit on the bedside table, so you can charge overnight, and should then last 7 days before it needs recharging, although this is only for the "smart" function. Even if it runs flat, there is a normal watch battery inside which controls the analogue time and display. The charger works well, but acts as a miniature lighthouse, so not really suitable for use in a bedroom.

foss6_zpsowqekelo.jpg

It has one really clever trick though. The straps come with a tool-free changing system, so you can change Fossil straps in a matter of seconds without tools. All of the Fossil, interchangeable straps and bracelets come with the system built in. If you want to use third party straps, you can use normal springbars. The Fossil straps will also work on any other watch by removing the springbars.

foss3_zpsmuwrxgpc.jpg

Although it looks uncomfortable, the handle swings out of the way when the strap is on the wrist, and can't be felt. Talking of which, the obligatory wristie.

foss4_zpsg4op18ex.jpg

Thank you for reading.

Grumpy.

splke

Like it

it is a bit different :thumbsup:

Hamblehound

Nice watch!

Was this at Gunwharf? Didn't even know there was a Fossil shop there. I live about 2 minutes away so will have to check it out.

black263

Nice watch!

Was this at Gunwharf? Didn't even know there was a Fossil shop there. I live about 2 minutes away so will have to check it out.

Yes it is. Bottom right hand corner, shop 47.

gwq-map-ground-floor_zpstg6codio.png

markeym3

I like the look of that ,, nice looking hands (not yours BTW) ... strap changing is a good idea too .. and a nice looking and different watch for "rep" money to boot.

Omeg@007

looks nice 0n your arm :)

Piccolo

I like the vintage but modern look, and about as smart as you need a watch to be I reckon. Price seems decent for what you get too - nice pick up!

VitoScaletta

Price seems decent, but to me, smart watches and quartz watches will never be real watches.

Hope you enjoy it though!

JSJ

Thanks for the review black. I like the watch.

Those springbars are available on Ali so other straps could be converted too.

brang1

it looks good

SamsonAusKognito

That spring bar lock system is very nice :)