Sign in to follow this  
NCRich

Two new vintage Models - Ref 6204? White dial Sub and Milgauss 6541 brief review

NCRich

Just got these two in this morning. I was pretty pumped seeing the pics on the TD sites but no one could tell me what factory built these. I know now (or at least I know the parts). First off the watches are real attention grabbers. Look like nothing else. The Milgauss is geek chic, built to keep running in those hi tech (at the time) working environments where magnetic fields were high. The white 6204 is also very unusual, and actually looks better than the pictures. The dial isn't white really, more of a pearl white with some luminescence.

I ordered the 21j versions of these but everything is identical except the movements. Aaaannnndddd........guess what they are identical to the Silix cases we are so used to. It is a vintage case 3 with a 21j and brass movement holder. The bezel is secured with the wire retainer and the plexi is the same hi dome.

So we get a new dial, hands, bezel insert and a smaller crown than the vintage case 5. I don't know if it is the same as on the case 3. Same rivet bracelet (if you ask for it instead of the oyster). Bit disappointing from a build standpoint but at least we know how to mod these. Anyhow on to the pics.

Milgauss

L5sZ7IJ.jpg?1

btea7Wp.jpg

z3cd2jO.jpg?1

3g54JbO.jpg

Inside the case - you can tell it is the same as the Silix. Note that Switzerland is misspelled. lol1.gif

340VIXV.jpg?1

The more you know.

I'm satisfied with them given the pricepoint. Just a few low cost mods and it will look much more believable.

Member X

They look sharp :)

Get some correctly-centred puffy vintage lume on the Milgauss and it will look ace!

GC

Nice ones! I'm pretty sure that you will have them looking awesome in no time...

BM284

Great pick up - you have an eye for the bargain sir! I'll be watching to see what you do to these :D

BadPickle

Nice pick up Rich, these will be a great project point :D

Sailorchadf

Those are both so sweet. I love vintage.

Daywatch

Very interesting catch. Looking forward to see what You will do to them.

Piccolo

Really like that white Sub... Look forward to the builds and progress

NCRich

Really like that white Sub... Look forward to the builds and progress

Yeah, some interesting options.

8pVffe1.jpg

9vzVB2M.jpg

HkRKqBs.jpg

fatarms

As you know, that 6204 albino is on my "to get list." Can't wait to see what you do with it. Congrats on the pickups :D

Piccolo

Was there only 1 white Sub, or only one left? There was a Hodinkee report with one that Eric Ku had, and it mentioned that it was a unique piece... (its the one in the top picture)

NCRich

Was there only 1 white Sub, or only one left? There was a Hodinkee report with one that Eric Ku had, and it mentioned that it was a unique piece... (its the one in the top picture)

I think it was a prototype dial. I read somewhere that Rolex frequently made their prototypes with white dials. This was one of them.

jd1566

A white dial "vintage treatment" is on my to do list, but it's behind the infinately easier 5513 and 1680 jobs that I have planned. Hopefully by Xmas time will have some pictures to post of the base watch, and after a few weeks of modding will present final results.. Going for the more expensive 2836 movement because the dial feet will then fit on a 2846 movement which I picked up a while back.. Then my 5513 will be turned into a LEFT-HANDED version.. sure to be a rather unique piece. Unfortunately the 1680 won't work because the date-wheel won't align correctly, or would require a new datewheel overlay, which is beyond my current modding abilities.. but who knows, one day that may also get the "lefty" treatment.