Sign in to follow this  
malloc

Broken clasp on Rolex Air-King

malloc

Hi all,

I bought a Rolex Air-King from Mary recently as a pressie for my brother.

Here's Mary's photo:

img3812nn.jpg

The good new is he loves it, unfortunately the clasp isn't locking anymore though. I can't see anything obvious wrong, it's just not catching on the little clip.

One of the link screws must have been loose because it came out while he was wearing it and the watch dropped, so it's possible something is damaged :lol: I've since used some lock tight to fix the loose screw issue.

Any idea if this is fixable before I ask Mary if she can get another strap?

This is the type of clasp:

img2481be.jpg

Member X

It's weird that it's not catching - there's definitely nothing sheared off or bent out of shape?

I imagine it should be a fairly reasonably priced item to get from Mary, or you could put up a WTB thread?

Personally I would just get the clasp - undo the screws each side and swap it on :D Springbars are fiddly and annoying! :) lol

(The loose screws thing is something I think we all do - just the once, though, as it's a lesson well learnt! lol)

It does look awesome - is the dial accurate to gen? I'm not sure I'd care if it wasn't, it looks lush!

36mm? ETA? Got a wristie? Price, if you don't mind sharing? :Jumpy:

malloc

Can't see anything sheared off or bent. Talking to my brother again he thinks it was getting loose even before it was dropped.

I'll check with Mary for a price on a replacement. Good idea about swapping out the clasp only :)

Dial seems pretty accurate actually. The "precision" font isn't quite right, and the lume on the hands is a bit off. I'm not complaining though, it looks great for the price - only about $120 :)

35mm

Asian 21J hack movement

I don't have a wristie but I'll take one. It's a bit smaller than what I usually wear but it suits my brother who's not into big watches.

malloc

Bit hard to take a wrist shot when the strap is broken, but here you go :) I had to lean against the couch.

The blue dial didn't show up very well in this shot, it's much more vibrant in real life. Still gives you an idea of size though.

airking.jpg

Member X

Dammit, I do wish these were bigger. I love some of the dials and this blue one is stunning! but I'm just not sure I could wear 35mm after getting used to 44/47mm PAMs and 46mm B&Rs :) lol :)

$120 is a great price and I really wouldn't worry about the Precision font, I reckon you'd have to have a gen next to it to really tell ;)

malloc

It's fixed now, thanks to Mary! I had to bend part of the clasp back slightly.

Here's the instructions she sent through, just in case someone else has a similar problem.

img3817v.jpg

Member X

Cool, easy fix! :D

tissotman

thats how its done ive got one the same not catching very well just fixed it simple easy job many thanks.

ty4jen

Fixed my clasp problem as well. Thanks for posting!

Edited by ty4jen