Sign in to follow this  
MikeyMouseWatch

Thinking on picking up this?

MikeyMouseWatch

I"ve looked around at a few Daytona reps over the last few days. Today I feel somewhat on getting this one.

What do you guys think. I'm not sure getting a swiss movement is worth the extra $.

trailboss99

Which one?

Del
I"ve looked around at a few Daytona reps over the last few days. Today I feel somewhat on getting this one.

What do you guys think. I'm not sure getting a swiss movement is worth the extra $.

Is there a link or photo?

wat44

Yes, I would go for it for sure

might get one for myself!!!

Del

Have you read about the issues with this movement when the running seconds are at 6? Honestly mate, you need to read about this before buying because you could end up with a very expensive paperweight.

It's a lovely watch, no doubt, but the additional gearing required to get the running seconds at the 6 position (rather than the standard 9 for this movement) can cause problems. Do some searching in the forum and you'll get the picture.

HoS also do these models with the cheaper Asian 21j movement and faux chrono but at least it should be more reliable. Alternatively, Timesshop have a couple of quartz versions for very little money too. :clap:

MikeyMouseWatch

Yes, I did read a little about older 5570s not being very efficient with secs @ 6.

I'll continue to shop around. Someday I'd like to build my own.

MikeyMouseWatch

Hmm, I just took at look at Timesshop now, I guess you mean this one:

http://www.timeshops.net/product.php?id_product=5929

Seems the quartz sure are much cheaper. I guess I'll stick with that so I don't have to worry about all the other problems.

Del
Hmm, I just took at look at Timesshop now, I guess you mean this one:

http://www.timeshops.net/product.php?id_product=5929

Seems the quartz sure are much cheaper. I guess I'll stick with that so I don't have to worry about all the other problems.

Yes, that's one of them - I think they have a couple of quartz models :thumbsup2:

prestigewatchco

The only problem with a Rolex quartz is if there are any watch brand where people know about smooth sweep it's Rolex.

Very few people will know of the President and Datejust that were quartz by Rolex

As for buying a Daytona seconds at 6 with a Swiss movement it's an absolute waste of money no Swiss 7750 exists with this configuration and the modification needed will be Asian so will not elevate the problem.

The problem on the Early and some later seconds at 6 models was always the additional modified gears never or at least rarely the actual main movement.

The very latest ones we are currently receiving have to some extent addressed the problem by jeweling 3 more of the modification gears only time will tell if this is a cure or a temporary fix but to date over the last couple of months it seems fine

MikeyMouseWatch

Well it's too bad I can't have my cake and eat it too. Of all the watches, I always want a Rolex clone, and of all the clones, I want a Daytona.

I suppose I COULD take a look at some Breitlings and maybe come to a consensus.

wat44

so is the answer a 21j with faux chrono???

MikeyMouseWatch

Well damnit! I can't make up my mind. What about me just getting the cheap quartz for now, and then upgrading to a better engine myself later on...

Dragonscape

My choice was the A21j with faux chrono's,

I like the large sweeping second hand

sub dials work: but do not record as marked

Daytona004.jpg

Daytona007.jpg

Guanaco

Get a Vintage Daytona and stop suffering. :D

MikeMcNair
Yes, I did read a little about older 5570s not being very efficient with secs @ 6.

I'll continue to shop around. Someday I'd like to build my own.

i was about to ask what a 5570 was lol :D

JK bro.

MikeyMouseWatch

What I COULD do, is buy those cheaper 70$ models, and just bit by bit replace each part into something much more higher calib. I got a few things here I could use to swap/steal parts from, and hunt for cheap movement bargains around on watches going for almost nothing due to simple fixable glitches.

In the meantime, I'm off doing a little bit of study in mechanical watch repair...

greg_r
Get a Vintage Daytona and stop suffering. :rofl:

+1 The vintage style secs@9 models are vastly more reliable. A safe bet.

Dragonscape

be aware that most models available will have symmetric pushers as opposed to the correct a-symmetrical

pusher at 4, also hand styles are different from gen