Sign in to follow this  
NCRich

1016 Gilt

NCRich

Put this together after one of our members had an accident modding the oysterdate precision. He sent me the case after the dial was messed up and the stem broke off in the crown. Had a bad day, haven't we all?

So I decided to do a vintage 1016 with gilt dial and gold hands. Its a 34mm so that would be an early explorer size. This has a raffles dial, tiger gold mercedes hands, and a Clark plexi. Had to dissolve the remainder out of the crown by soaking it a couple days in an alum solution Certainly does the trick.

I think that I'd prefer a domed plexi on this, maybe a task for later. What do you guys think?

ctZ9iHH.jpg?1

BKkKudj.jpg?1

Qb5UhNu.jpg?1

MAtDvEN.jpg?1

jSkRuh9.jpg?1

wft8agJ.jpg?1

kJwe6Wp.jpg?1

GC

6A540937-79B3-482D-9E63-1E2E0EC8B26C_zpskv7tafjr.gif

Bravo sir!

k3rm87

Gorgeous

Piccolo

Very nice - I think you're right about a low domed plexi, the gilt looks class, nice build!

BM284

That looks amazing - bravo sir :) out of curiosity..... How many vintage watches are in your collection now?

And I think a domed plexi too!

NCRich

That looks amazing - bravo sir :) out of curiosity..... How many vintage watches are in your collection now?

How many???? Do you mean how many do I have out where my wife can see? Or how many do I have tucked in drawers around the house?

I've got probably 15 or so, but the fun is in the finding the parts and figuring out how to mod the cases. Getting the movements to fit and painting and aging the dials and stuff. I don't care anything at all about having a piece someone else has done. I like the process.

I should do an accounting of them all. I just noticed I have 3 identical 1680 subs. Hmm...I need to sell one of those :lol:

But everything I have including tools cost about 1 TC sub and 2 APs. And I've had hundreds of hours of fun.

jakethemouse

You've been on a tear lately.

Loving your work Rich and am bloody jealous as hell too.

BM284

How many???? Do you mean how many do I have out where my wife can see? Or how many do I have tucked in drawers around the house?

I've got probably 15 or so, but the fun is in the finding the parts and figuring out how to mod the cases. Getting the movements to fit and painting and aging the dials and stuff. I don't care anything at all about having a piece someone else has done. I like the process.

I should do an accounting of them all. I just noticed I have 3 identical 1680 subs. Hmm...I need to sell one of those :lol:

But everything I have including tools cost about 1 TC sub and 2 APs. And I've had hundreds of hours of fun.

Interesting mate - I think you should do a pictorial review of your collection - from the threads I've been reading you've got some absolutely cracking watches! (And the skill to put them together!) and if you get bored of any you can always send one on for a holiday ;)

gavmeister

Just amazing Rich. Agree with the thoughts on the dome plexi. Serious talent here!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

eosurc

We had the same path in building 1016. From an old oysterdate 34mm

66101.jpg

GC
Put this together after one of our members had an accident modding the oysterdate precision. He sent me the case after the dial was messed up and the stem broke off in the crown. Had a bad day, haven't we all?

Sounds like that member should steer clear of destroying watches... But as we know some people never learn. ;)

NCRich

We had the same path in building 1016. From an old oysterdate 34mm

66101.jpg

Nice job! Love the patina you achieved.

Sounds like that member should steer clear of destroying watches... But as we know some people never learn. ;)

:lol:

MNColdWatch

Newb here...

Where does one pick up a vintage dial like the one in the OP? I am on the hunt for one for a vintage 1675 I am going after. (A2836 movement, though... I like the high beat)

Also a set of GMT vintage (or "nearly vintage") looking hands.

Lastly, a suitable sapphire to replace the plastic, if I go that route.

Thrasher

WOW Rich that is a Beauty! Well Done!

atgm

Where does one pick up a vintage dial like the one in the OP?

Try googling rafflestime or helenarou; both offer sterile dials and can supply branded ones if you ask.