Sign in to follow this  
RepGuy

Waterproof Reps

RepGuy

I sometimes see a watch listed from a TD stating waterproofing was done at the factory, usually to a depth of 50 meters. Although great if this is actually done, I personally don't test this theory and keep my reps away from all sources of water.

Leaving out aftermarket waterproofing done by yourself after the purchase, how many of you have tested the waterproofness of your rep, and if you did, what were the conditions (depth) and results?

Daywatch

Those TD-stated waterresistant to 50m or 100m in my experience hold up very well for swimming. Taking IP8 ratings (for flashlights etc.) deeper than 2 meters is already another level so I normally stay below that level but for lengths of time and also in rougher seas (ocean/waves), no problem.

With one exception (PAM 386 rated to 100m) all others I have silicon-greased them, the only greased from factory was an Omega Seamaster 300 coax.

The very minimum to really do is to tighten the caseback, almost always it´s too loose.

In a statement as general as possible, if a modern rep is stated wr to 50m or more from factory, nowadays it´s safe to take it into water. To my own surprise I´m using them in sea, salt, sun and water for 3 consecutive Years already with no failure (having done the silicon greasing once). Even if one does fail next year it "has done it´s job" - from all I read in the beginning I wasn´t even expecting the watches to run carefree for 3 years to begin with:)

PS: the simple mall-tests done just stated: "passed 30 meters".

IMG_6459_zpsyao5dnmn.jpg