Sign in to follow this  
Andy54

Apologies In Advance ~ Posting Image

Andy54

I've been trying to post photos for days and have read FAQ on the topic. I've been posting photos in other forums for years with the same format used on RWG

ie use link to post an image, to drop down box and copy & paste URL from Flickr.

But I keep getting this error message:

"You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board. A valid format is: http://www.domain.com/picture.gif, an invalid format is: http://www.domain.com/picture.one.gif"

What am I doing wrong just can't get a photo up, only my text and the url from Flickr with hypertext abbreviation for image either side of the url.

Once again my apologies in advance.

Edited by Andy54

Luthier

Andy, easiest way is to get Photobucket account.

You'll have no problem to upload any pictures.

Balad1

I agree with Luthier about photobucket.com

After uploading a photo copy and paste the Image Code (IMG) of the photo to your RWG post.

If you hit reply on my post you'll set the IMG code I just posted and it will be above where you would type your reply.

Does that make sense?

Example:

uA1DY.jpg

Baldrick

If it's a Flickr image, you need to post the BB option when you elect to share the image.

Don't bother with Photobucket, unless you have a Pro account, they'll limit the size of your images, they also 'degrade' ( compress' the image ) when you save it in PB, Flickr is just as straight forward and is better at arranging your photos, here's a "HOW TO "

1. Go to your Flickr photostream.

2. Select the image you want to post.

3. Click on the image.

4. When it enlarges, click Share this" option at the head of the image.

5. A menu window will pop up, select 'Grab the HTML/BBCode'

6. Another menu window will open, click the 'BB code' radio button, then select the image size you require from the drop-down arrow window above the radio button.

7. When you choose the size, it will automatically generate the appropriate code for posting on this forum,

8. hit 'Control C' and it will copy it.

9. Embed that code within your post.

10. Eh voila, your image SHOULD magically appear as does my example below.

Andy54

Thanks some much fellas. I your info was great as I was missing a couple of steps.

Andy

Toolman

Oh please, anything but Photobucket! Otherwise, 8 months from now all anyone will see is this:

photobucketpicdeletedic.jpg

If you'll just create a free account at imageshack.com, AND always log into your account before posting pics, they say they will NEVER delete your pictures. Compare that to all the stupid Photobucket this-pic-has-been-deleted things you see all the time, all over the place, on forum after forum. I don't know why anyone continues to use Photobucket when the pictures just keep getting deleted, because someone didn't maintain an account or log in often enough or whatever the heck excuse they make for deleting pictures. Rant over, sorry.

Dendo
I've been trying to post photos for days and have read FAQ on the topic. I've been posting photos in other forums for years with the same format used on RWG

ie use link to post an image, to drop down box and copy & paste URL from Flickr.

But I keep getting this error message:

"You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board. A valid format is: http://www.domain.com/picture.gif, an invalid format is: http://www.domain.com/picture.one.gif"

What am I doing wrong just can't get a photo up, only my text and the url from Flickr with hypertext abbreviation for image either side of the url.

Once again my apologies in advance.

Lot of good advice already, in particular Baldrick's step by step guide.

But if you want to know what was wrong with your attempt I would say it was because your file: picture.one.gif should have been picture.gif

Are your pics before you post them example.one.gif or example.gif? Obviously the latter is correct.

dingle
If it's a Flickr image, you need to post the BB option when you elect to share the image.

Don't bother with Photobucket, unless you have a Pro account, they'll limit the size of your images, they also 'degrade' ( compress' the image ) when you save it in PB, Flickr is just as straight forward and is better at arranging your photos, here's a "HOW TO "

1. Go to your Flickr photostream.

2. Select the image you want to post.

3. Click on the image.

4. When it enlarges, click Share this" option at the head of the image.

5. A menu window will pop up, select 'Grab the HTML/BBCode'

6. Another menu window will open, click the 'BB code' radio button, then select the image size you require from the drop-down arrow window above the radio button.

7. When you choose the size, it will automatically generate the appropriate code for posting on this forum,

8. hit 'Control C' and it will copy it.

9. Embed that code within your post.

10. Eh voila, your image SHOULD magically appear as does my example below.

this is how it is done :clap:

JohnG

I think maybe I am going to get a flikr account, didn't know about the compression, but did notice the photos get degraded a lot, now I know why.

dingle
I think maybe I am going to get a flikr account, didn't know about the compression, but did notice the photos get degraded a lot, now I know why.

Yep, John.....all the pro's in the photo business use flickr for this reason

Ivorykeys

I've used imageshack.com because with photobucket, the images seem to have an expiration date, and if the post comes up that is several months old, there is a blank image, which annoys the hell out of me. I have not seen that with imageshack.

Baldrick
I've used imageshack.com because with photobucket, the images seem to have an expiration date, and if the post comes up that is several months old,

I've never had that happen with my PB account and I have been both free and Pro, I just don't like the compression and the slow upload times, one thing I do like ( when it works ), is the ability to select multiple images and generate the multiple [/img] codes for posting lots of images, can't seem to do that with Flickr, they're on an individual basis.

Dotphoto used to be very good, Villagephotos are stuck in a time warp and Imageshack is shiiiiiite !

Cynikal.Mindset

imageshack is what I use, its fast and free and I can bulk upload and its not blocked at work...photobucket is and viewing most threads here leave me picture less